Out of your league?

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:39 am
very to the point material. hehehe.
I am cautious of telling an insecure person to stop being insecure...
isn't that pretty much DEFINITELY going to result in bumbling insecurity??

In reality youre way's more likely to be right. my way has traditionally been to try and say... no i'm not better... youre just as great and i have flaws rararara. but that didn't work. so...... yeah. Confused who am i to criticise. haha.

and that

Quote:
By saying your better it may sound like a complement but they are really asking you 'are you gona dump me soon because im not as brainy/attractive etc as you?'

has totally struck me as a new idea. i haven't thought of it quite like that before.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:44 am
Blimey, am I making sense!!Thats never happened before,hehe.

Maybe you could tell them their good points, that would boost their confidence.
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:48 am
hmmmm....... ya know what? i am soooooo grateful to you's eh.

I reckon what I need to do now is collaborate your advice...... put it into practice and see how i go.

I feel armed with knowledge... or at least ideas. :wink:

Of course... if you have any other words of wisdom, it wouldn't go astray... but you've really helped.
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:51 am
.....and as it's 10 to 3am..... I should probably be off for now. I'll be back later.
Good night from Middle Earth.

xxx
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:56 am
Aaahhhh, I feel allllll helpful.
Im glad my gibbering has helped in some way.

Not meaning to sound all weird but Im one of the 'non desirables' that wants the 'better' people to notice me.Hence when I said about their compliments not always being a compliment.If i said it Id mean it but it would also be my way of trying to get reassurance from the 'better' person.

I have alot of beautiful/better friends but I realise they have just as hard a time as me.
They may get more people intersted in them but its as bumpya ride as most other peoples relationships.
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:01 am
Yeah hun youve totally helped. Everyone has. Very Happy
I really don't think I'm beautiful at all and I'm certainly not better than anyone imo. I hate not being an equal...

everyone has a bumpy ride......
0 Replies

playon

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:34 am
re
i didnt read the whole thread so maybe this has been said, but you are 19 and you're already in law school? Did you just skip college? Well whatever the case, I guess i could see that being intimidating for men. I think many men like to feel like the more successful one so to speak. To be honest...you might just have to wait until you're all done with school to find someone who really gets you. I know it shouldnt matter and maybe you will find that one person who will see you as amazing and not be scared of your accomplishments...is there anyone else your age in school with you?

As far as the looks things...i dont buy that. I think there are many single women who would like to believe that they reason they are single is because they are too beautiful...but come on...that's not it.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 02:07 am
Mintcake wrote:
Yeah hun youve totally helped. Everyone has. Very Happy
I really don't think I'm beautiful at all and I'm certainly not better than anyone imo. I hate not being an equal...

everyone has a bumpy ride......

A few years back I read that Michelle Pfeifer thinks that she looks like a duck.
If looking like a duck would mean me looking like Michelle Pfeifer Id jump at the chance.

Just goes to show none of us are completly happy with what weve got and yep, we all have a bumpy ride.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:43 am
voice of experience about to speak....listen up....

don't worry sweetie, you're not going to be 19 forever, and the day will come that you're going to realize the entire world is not impressed with you.

your problem with "being out of their league" lies with the fact you are basing this on your experience with other people 19 to 25 in clubs.

once you are out living in the real world, you'll see the public in general won't be that awed by you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:05 am
Ah, Chai...remember the days of being on top of the world...only to find out that the world was actually on top of you? Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:28 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Ah, Chai...remember the days of being on top of the world...only to find out that the world was actually on top of you? Laughing

Yeah, I'll never forget the day I got mine....

I was a bridesmaid in someone wedding, I guess the color of the dress complimented me or the planets were aligned or something, cause I just thought I was "all that"

Garden reception at the brides mother house, I'm standing in line, a little tipsy, not drunk (yet) waiting for the bathroom. This older man, maybe 70ish, got in line behind me. I remember seeing him looking over towards me a time or two before this. He said something like, "you look very pretty" and I of course, didn't want to get involved talking to some dirty old man when there were all these hunks at my disposal, so I just loftily glanced at him and turned my head away. He might want me, but he can't have me. Rolling Eyes

He leaned in close to my ear, through the cloud of perfume and glow of my beauty and whispered gently in my ear.......

"You think you're really hot ****, don't you?"

Then he just walked away to find another toilet.

Wow. Shocked

Message received.

Playone....excellent point, I didn't catch the law school thing.

Mint cake, how are you in Law School already? Did you graduate college at 18 or something?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:38 am
I have never understood why guys do that!!

'You look pretty' and 'you think you look sh*t hot dont yuo' in practically the same breath!!

Its as if you dont react in the perfectly precise way they want you to(ie shy adn innocent but with a naughty glint in your eye),they will think you think you are 'all that'.

This tw*t of a guy who i didnt know(and he was drunk)said to me(after saying 1 sentance to me about something else) something like 'your a bit of alright'...'but then again, you know that'.
What the f*ck had i done to deserve that!!?
I am in no way Gods gift to man and I dont think I act as tho I am!!
Men are totally confusing!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:02 am
material girl wrote:
I have never understood why guys do that!!

'You look pretty' and 'you think you look sh*t hot dont yuo' in practically the same breath!!

That isn't the moral of the story mg....

This man was perfectly fine, it was me.

He was an experienced adult, late 60's early 70's. He had no real interest in a 25 year old "girl" who was giving off the "I'm out of your league" vibes.

When I caught him glancing at me, I sure he was thinking "what a stuck up little snot"....his complimenting me was a combo of his just being pleasant while waiting for the john, and maybe a little to see if my attitude was really that bad.

I certainly verified his suspecion.

His comment was a wake up call to me, and I'm glad he did it.

Whether the pedestal that others think you're standing on is real, or imagined in the minds of others, it's not really a good place to be. Step down and join the fun.

When someone, male or female compliments me, I take it for what it is, a compliments....and my response...."Hey, thanks" is all that's needed.

You really can't go wrong with "Hey, thanks".

Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely don't cut the "beautiful" people any slack. Especially if that's all they have going for them. In fact attractive people have to prove to me pretty quick they aren't just a pretty face.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:14 am
It took me a long time to feel comfortable accepting a compliment,but you are right, if it happens I now say ahhh thanks', with a big cheesy smile.
I know if I give a compliment, I mean it, so I hope others do to.

So did you think you were really sh*t hot then?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
material girl wrote:

**** Yeah!

Still Am!

Cool
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
I take compliments much better now than I did at 19.

Then it was the same as you...I know... I am all that!

Now it's a gracious, "thank you" and a smile. Appreciate it when others think you beautiful. Not everyone will and it's nice to have a stranger notice you.

It is hard at first to be confident without being stuck up looking. It takes learning and realizing that confidence is something that is inside, and something that comes through on it's own, no force needed. Trying to appear confident when your not or forcing confidene outward comes off as "I am all that". At least in my humble opinion.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:24 am
Chai Tea wrote:
material girl wrote:

**** Yeah!

Still Am!

Cool

F*ckin' A!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:57 am
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/burgessmw/Other%20Stuff/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:01 am
Whip it out then slappy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:26 am
Just so you know, I always have it whipped out while on A2K. Politics is hot.
0 Replies