Big dig fails again

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 12:09 am
Linkat wrote:
Response from the construction company that built the big digÂ…

Bechtel strictly adheres to its contracts and the law and takes pride in its national and international work, said company spokesman Michael Kidder . Large government projects like the Big Dig and Hanford are inevitably complicated, he added.
``Good oversight is good business as far as Bechtel is concerned," Kidder said. ``The huge scope of these projects, and some are first of a kind, are bound to cause some wrinkles along the way, and they become lessons learned."

Some wrinkles along the way? Nice way to put it that they killed a woman.

Great name for a spinmeister. Rolling Eyes :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 10:33 am
littlek wrote:
I can't find a good site which has maps of the tunnels, the connectors, etc. They cite 'ramp a' as being open - but 'ramp a' is big-dig-speak -- there's no 'ramp a' sign on the highway. But, I don't want to just drive it and see, because I will be rerouted through boston and that can get hairry.

i don't think they can do the maps until the whole shebang is complete (which'll be any century now).

i've been getting e-mail through work regarding the various closings/openings.

this link may or may not be helpful ---> www.seaporttma.org
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 10:53 am
Nice link Region - that will help me out too. I am concerned about the safety. As I live south of Boston and work in the Seaport area - that tunnel was awesome (at least I thought so - before it became a deathtrap) - now I avoid the highway and drive through South Boston.

My concern is come fall when everyone is done with vacations and kids are back at school - how long will it be for me to get home - especially if I have to pick up my child from school? I can't imagine it will as easy to drive through southie? Will the tunnel be fixed? Will I have to chance it because I need to get to my child's school by 6:00?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:45 pm
<gives Region a big kiss on the cheek> Thanks!

Linkat - eek! The return of the students will make a mess......
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:35 am
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Site_Graphic/2006/08/09/1155147395_0598.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:20 pm
<cackle>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 04:46 am
Why is that sign on Storrow Drive?

PS I've gotta start taking the Silver Line soon. That seems to be mainly unaffected (in fact, I think they've added buses). Anyone have experience with 'em?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:29 pm
I don't know why the sign was shown on Storrow Drive. I just happened to see it on Boston.com and thought it certainly fits nicely here.

Although I work right near the Silver line I haven't taken it in a while so I am not sure how it is working. Before this stuff, I have taken it and for the most part it runs fairly smoothly - but who knows now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:02 pm
I took mass ave to 93 S today as I headed to the cape. At 10:30 am, in august, it wasn't that bad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:06 am
This is interesting.....

Quote:
....cameras were installed by former Turnpike Chairman Matthew Amorello and linked back to a monitor in cabinet located in a storage room near Amorello's office.

"We are presently reviewing the rationale and reason for these cameras and looking to determine what purpose they served," Cogliano said in an e-mail sent to Turnpike workers Friday.

[sic]

Cogliano aide Jon Carlisle said the last known recordings were from July 10, hours before 12 tons of ceiling panels fell from a Big Dig tunnel....
boston.com
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:14 am
big dig brother is watching you...
0 Replies