Big dig fails again

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:21 am
Geezus!!! Yet another Big Dig Big Mess....... A ceiling panel fell and crushed a car, killing a woman from Jamaica Plains.....

Houston Chronicle
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,795 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:32 am
awful...

(and it turned the morning commute into a complete custer-fluck...)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:47 am
And the added nice thing for me - that is exactly where I drive through each morning and afternoon. It is damn true that they were fortunate it was not during rush hour - there would have been a pile up of cars hit by the concrete. Still not fortunate for the poor victim.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:07 pm
I suggest the ceiling be tiled with the skulls of those responsible for this.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:10 pm
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/07/11/1152619628_6413.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:14 pm
Linkat wrote:
And the added nice thing for me - that is exactly where I drive through each morning and afternoon. It is damn true that they were fortunate it was not during rush hour - there would have been a pile up of cars hit by the concrete. Still not fortunate for the poor victim.

Oh dear...isn't there another way for you to travel?

I wouldn't dare go that way.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:17 pm
George wrote:

those skulls are extra thick, due to the miniscule brains they currently encase...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:36 pm
Chai - at least the next couple of days I won't. Besides that I have a two options either drive through South Boston which is a traffic light every block and cars doubled parked every where or drive through part of downtown Boston traffic. This morning just driving through downtown Boston took me over a half an hour (what normally is about 5 minutes of going through that tunnel) - we are talking about a few miles.

The other thing - how can these people being responsible for the shoddy building feel? First and foremost being responsible for killing some poor woman and a far secondary causing a nightmare of commuting to work for thousands of people.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:44 pm
Now Romney is doing some political jockeying and Amorello is still defiant. This has been one fluster-cuck after another.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:11 am
Here is the newestÂ…"Inspectors have already found 60 more problem areas in the eastbound lanes of the connector, which links the Massachusetts Turnpike with the Ted Williams Tunnel. Crews are still checking the westbound lanes." Nice. To imagine I have been driving twice a day with a time bomb over my head.

Originally they stated that the tunnel would be open this afternoon - now it is closed indefinitely. Not that I want to drive through it, but this morning it be even longer to get to work -damn cops don't know how to direct traffic - I think they make it worse than simply the lights. I will try a longer route tomorrow driving right in the center of Boston.

Here is my favorite quote in regard to this messÂ…"`Only $14.6 billion, you think it might work."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:19 am
they will have to re-build those sections currently being supported with the faulty bolts...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:32 am
Not that I'm any kind of an architect, but it just doesn't seem like a good
idea to have ceiling tiles big enough to crush cars.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:34 am
[/QUOTE]they will have to re-build those sections currently being supported with the faulty bolts...
Quote:

Not according to "officials". They simply have to remove them - then why the f- did they put them up in the first place?

"The tiles help facilitate air flow in the tunnels, and officials said that the connector tunnel will be able to operate properly after the panels are removed"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:47 pm
Big huge fans sucking air up and out should help airflow, right?

I was wondering why there had to be a 'false cieling' in the tunnels. I'm so glad for the explanation. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:58 pm
usually "tie backs" are not supposed to serve as support and, from the looks of it, these plates were just hanging. That is insanity. Those plates should have had redundant ledge supports like bridge spans on I95 (even one of those sheared and broke in Connecticut abot 15 years ago).

Tie backs are to keep something in position and keep it from moving sideways or back and forth. It looked like thes were undergoing shear (you can see how they are curled)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:06 pm
Guess that does Romney's presidential aspirations in...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:08 pm
This project (and maybe all of the mass pike, I can't remember) has been held very close tot he chests of those invovled. I was actually cheering Mitt Romney, a man I generally disagree vehemently with, when he demanded transparency, oversight and accountability of the officials invovled with the big dig.

This has gone on too long, it has cost a fortune, and worse a life, and has been riddled with problems.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:03 am
I've never been clear on the standing of tThe Massachusetts Turnpike
Authority. It is separate from the state highway department and not
under the direct authority of the governor. Both Romney and his
predecessor have had battles with it.

Maybe I should read up on the structure of feudalism in the Middle Ages.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:24 am
The Pa Turnpike Commission is the same way. Except they have turned a tidy profit by keeping the road open and barely up to date.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:12 am
RP wrote-

Quote:
George wrote:

those skulls are extra thick, due to the miniscule brains they currently encase...

I'll bet most of them have a "cap and gown" ($399.99) picture displayed in a prominent location.

Are you implying that the proud products of American universities are fukwits or just this particular group?
0 Replies