I hate "Italians"

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:14 am
Yesterday the Italians won the World Cup.

First of all, nobody in America gives a f**k about the World Cup. Don't get me wrong, they pretend to, but in reality it's just another excuse to jump on a bandwagon. Next week 1/2 of these "fans" wouldn't be able to tell you who the final four teams were anyway. It's soccer. The only Americans that like soccer haven't grown pubes yet. We like the NFL and baseball.

I was in Boston's North End yesterday, for about 10 minutes before I realized I needed to get the hell out so I wouldn't throw up on some wanna-be John Gotti.

These "Italians," who's great-grandparents came over to America a couple generations ago, who couldn't tell you what city their family is from, and only knows they're Italian by the stupid little Italian flag sticker placed on the trunk of their 1984 Cadillac and some stupid gold horn necklace, are running up and down the street hugging strangers yelling "we did it." Crying.

Why are they crying? Well they think it's because "their" country just won a soccer game, but in reality it's because every female companion they've ever had sports a mustache thicker than they could dream of growing.

After I thought I escaped the street of morons, I went to a bar in Faneuil Hall. Well some of the "fans" must have realized there's more bars outside Hanover street, because I had the pleasure of hearing one of them ramble on his game analyisis to the girl I was with for 20 minutes, while holding her hand in a very extended handshake. "This is a great victory for Boston, like when the Patriots won the Super Bowl." No, you 5'4 foot stupid spaghetti bender. It's not a victory for Boston. Take a long plane ride to Rome, it's a victory for them. Because unlike you, they're actually Italian and follow soccer year-round.

That Red Sox game really sucked.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 20,932 • Replies: 105

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:55 pm
I feel your pain, Slappy. For anyone not of Italian extraction to be in the North End yesterday must have been a grim experience indeed. Faneuil Hall? Why, that's just the front porch of the North End. I was driving in the Copley Square area at the time, about -- what? -- a mile and a half, two miles distant from Little Italy, and three teen-age girls, carrying a snadard-size Italian flag, ran past. All the cars started hooting their horns and people were yelling incomprehensible words of good cheer. Bizarre. It was at that moment that I realized that Italy must have upset France in the final game. Had taken no interest in the series myself. I'm just glad I was nowhere near Mullberry or Bleecker Street in NYC yesterday.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:02 pm
Proper football is coming to America. I can understand your resistance.

But resistance is futile. GOOOOOOALL!!!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:05 pm
Can't you keep the old Caddys out of this, Slappy? I like the old cars...1984 Cadillac was my first car I ever had....

other than that, yeah, no one here cares either except as a chance to get rowdy (me included). Though, there was honking and celebrating in 'little Italy' which was a bleeding farce...

oh well.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:19 pm
LE, don't get me wrong, soccer, or "football" is a great sport, and I cringe when people say it's not a contact sport. However, there simply aren't that many fans here, but once their "country" wins, everyone's on the bandwagon.

What if America won? After all, these people are Americans.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:57 pm
Harumph! Yes, my ggreat-grandparents came from Italy, but I know what city they came from, I have family in Italy who I have seen there and here, I know a little about the history of the area, I don't drive a caddie, and I don't have a single italian flag sticker. I played soccer as a teen (in the 80s) and I like the game - I don't follow it, but I enjoy watching it.

I rooted for Italy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:44 pm
But I'm not talking about simply rooting for Italy. It's just painfully obvious how many people just jumped on the bandwagon. Just another excuse to get drunk...not like I'm totally against that, of course.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:56 pm
So. Who were you rooting for?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:23 pm
I wasn't rooting for anyone, I don't follow soccer.
0 Replies

acparma

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:22 pm
hey do u guys know how i felt when i read the posts ? i am italian and i know we did not think we were going to win but still we deserved to win Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:55 pm
Hey, acparma, are you from Parma? (I've been there, very beautiful city.)
I for one am pleased Italy won, and so are some other people on a2k. I'm learning about soccer, and followed a couple of world cup threads here to learn more.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:56 pm
slappy Doo Hoo you forgot Basketball along with baseball and football. Though I only like college basketball b/c the pros showboat too much and only care about looking like a superstar, not about working as a team and winning.

also I'm sorry to say I didn't know Italy won the world cup till I read this this morning.

of course it's kinda' like the olympics; i don''t watch half the sports the U.S. wins medals in but I'm still get happy when we won.
0 Replies

PreaknessStakes

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:15 pm
Italian Pride baby!!
0 Replies

iwillwin

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:28 pm
Re: **** idiot
iwillwin wrote:
Roman

They rule!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:32 pm
A year late, and rude too...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:33 pm
Hah!! Just read his other posts, osso...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:36 pm
Mixed Chinese-Italian ancestry. Must be a descendant of Marco Polo.

Enthusiasm's good.
0 Replies

iwillwin

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:40 pm
Hello
I am James Benson. I am of Roman descent. I have always been proud of my Italian. And honestly who gives a **** about who wins the world cup? Its just a game. Very Happy
0 Replies

iwillwin

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:42 pm
To ehBeth
I'm not totaly sure about what you ment by that comment but I am Chinese-Italian from my mother so just making sure. Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
Marco Polo ... click

~~~

The under-20 FIFA games have caused a bit of a situation here in Canada. Apparently the Chilean consul will be calling on someone in Foreign Affairs. Soccer's serious serious SERIOUS around here.
0 Replies