Who is a terrorist?

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 06:15 pm
Today it is fashionable to use the word: terrorist. Throughout history there have been freedom fighters who were labelled Terrorists. There have been terrorists who were labelled freedom fighters.
I find it easy to determine a terrorist. It is someone who targets and kills innocent civilians. Anyone who does that is a criminal, period.
Context determines who is a terrorist.
Even `sainted' Mandela would not escape label today.
Jul. 9, 2006
The oddest bit of news last week was the tale of the hunt for Nelson Mandela's pistol, buried on a farm near Johannesburg 43 years ago.
It was a Soviet-made Makarov automatic pistol, given to Mandela when he was undergoing military training in Ethiopia.
A week after he buried the gun, he was arrested by the apartheid regime's police as a terrorist and jailed for life.
It's hard now to imagine Mandela as a terrorist. He is the most universally admired living human being, almost a secular saint, and the idea that he had a gun and was prepared to shoot people just doesn't fit our image of him. But that just shows how naïve and conflicted our attitudes toward terrorism are.
Mandela never did kill anybody personally. He spent the next 27 years in jail and only emerged as an old man to negotiate South Africa's transition to democracy with the very regime that had jailed him.
But he was a founder and commander of Umkhonto we Sizwe (Spear of the Nation), the military wing of the African National Congress, and MK, as it was known, was a terrorist outfit. Well, a revolutionary movement willing to use terrorist tactics, to be precise, but that kind of fine distinction is not permissible in polite company today.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1152360067124
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,684 • Replies: 33
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:03 pm
Re: Who is a terrorist?
detano inipo wrote:
I find it easy to determine a terrorist. It is someone who targets and kills innocent civilians. Anyone who does that is a criminal, period.

then any nation that wages "total war" is terrorist.

Quote:
The most identifiable consequence of total war in modern times has been the inclusion of civilians and civilian infrastructure as targets in destroying a country's ability to engage in war. The targeting of civilians developed from two distinct theories. The first theory was that if enough civilians were killed, factories could not function. The second theory was that if civilians were killed, the country would be so demoralized that it would have no ability to wage further war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_war#Consequences_of_Total_War
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:43 am
How about those damn terrorist in America in the 18th century. Rebelling against the government, tar and feathering Torys loyal to the English government and running good loyal families off their land. They should have all been hung.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:10 am
A terrorist is anyone who disagrees with the policies of Bush and Zionism.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:28 am
A terrorist is anyone who targets civilians not by accident, not as a side effect, but as the primary, intended target. Follow this with all the bad logic you want - that's the proper definition.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
A terrorist is anyone who targets civilians not by accident, not as a side effect, but as the primary, intended target. Follow this with all the bad logic you want - that's the proper definition.
It is someone who targets and kills innocent civilians. Anyone who does that is a criminal, period.
Same thing. Al Qaeda, Pol Pot, Enola Gay etc.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 12:01 am
"Freedom Fighters" with bad public relations consultants.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 05:29 am
kuvasz wrote:

This answer is especially false. No one who targets civilians on purpose, as the primary, intended victim can ever be a freedom fighter.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:59 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

This answer is especially false. No one who targets civilians on purpose, as the primary, intended victim can ever be a freedom fighter.

What an ignorant remark.

Tell it to Ronald Reagen, Oliver North, and the Contras you silly person.
0 Replies

egyptian girl

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 02:52 pm
detano inipo wrote:

I find it easy to determine a terrorist. It is someone who targets and kills innocent civilians. Anyone who does that is a criminal,

Like what is happening now in Lebanon.. as Israel kills civilians ,destroy their houses &the country's infrastructure..may be Hizbollah isn't right ,but why civilians have to pay the price from their souls ,children and country?..
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:32 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

What an ignorant remark.

A pity you can't restrain yourself from insulting people who disagree with you. Why on Earth would I want to give this definition to them?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:35 pm
egyptian girl wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

I find it easy to determine a terrorist. It is someone who targets and kills innocent civilians. Anyone who does that is a criminal,

Like what is happening now in Lebanon.. as Israel kills civilians ,destroy their houses &the country's infrastructure..may be Hizbollah isn't right ,but why civilians have to pay the price from their souls ,children and country?..

No, not like that. Every army accidentally kills non-combatants, but Israel never deliberately targets them, like so many Palestinian groups do. How many agents of the Israeli government have blown themselves up in public places, deliberately taregetting non-combatants as the intended targets?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

What an ignorant remark.

A pity you can't restrain yourself from insulting people who disagree with you. Why on Earth would I want to give this definition to them?

More's the pity you post such ignorant crap.

You wear your ignorance of history like some sort of contrarian badge of honor.

Here's two words for you to look up.

Marynoll Nuns.

And your heroes Reagan and North call their rapists and murderers "Freedom Fighters."

Now leave the adults alone and climb back on to the short bus you silly person.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:00 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

What an ignorant remark.

Marynoll Nuns.

And your heroes Reagan and North call their rapists and murderers "Freedom Fighters."

A post of this types serves two purposes. First, it displays your inability to respond to my argument, and frankly your lack of maturity or self-control. It was, I'm sure, not the intention of the people who created this forum that posters shriek insults at anyone who takes an opposing view. Second, it serves as a forfeit by you, since you have failed to respond to my argument. In the world of debate, failing to address a challenge to your assertions simply means that your position has been defeated - no more, no less.

Nothing you have said has challenged my definition of a terrorist as someone who intentionally targets non-combatants. As for the three entities you list, I don't care how North or the Contras are characterized. I do believe that President Reagan was not a terrorist according to my definition. If you disagree, you need only mention one single case in which Mr. Reagan deliberately sought the death of non-combatants. Of course, you cannot. You lose.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:08 pm
Reagan wasn't a terrorist. He only funded terrorists.

Hmm.. interesting notion. It's OK to fund terrorists.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:31 pm
parados wrote:
Reagan wasn't a terrorist. He only funded terrorists.

Hmm.. interesting notion. It's OK to fund terrorists.

Would you mind please giving an example of terrorism committed by someone he funded? Thanks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:43 pm
You changing your definition of terrorism now Brandon?

Quote:
In 1982, under pressure from Congress, the U.S. State Department declared Contra activities terrorism. The Congressional intelligence committee confirmed reports of Contra atrocities such as rape, torture, summary executions, and indiscriminate killings.

http://www.answers.com/topic/sandinista-national-liberation-front
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 05:04 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

What an ignorant remark.

Marynoll Nuns.

A post of this types serves two purposes. First, it displays your inability to respond to my argument, and frankly your lack of maturity or self-control. It was, I'm sure, not the intention of the people who created this forum that posters shriek insults at anyone who takes an opposing view. Second, it serves as a forfeit by you, since you have failed to respond to my argument. In the world of debate, failing to address a challenge to your assertions simply means that your position has been defeated - no more, no less.

Nothing you have said has challenged my definition of a terrorist as someone who intentionally targets non-combatants. As for the three entities you list, I don't care how North or the Contras are characterized. I do believe that President Reagan was not a terrorist according to my definition. If you disagree, you need only mention one single case in which Mr. Reagan deliberately sought the death of non-combatants. Of course, you cannot. You lose.

Argument? I saw no argument from you. I saw a declarative statement viz.,

Quote:

based upon historical illiteracy and called you on it.

Ronald Reagan, Oliver North, and the rest of those murdering bastards in the Reagan regime knew long afterwards such violence commenced that the money they continued to secretly funnel to the Contras was going into the pockets of death squads throughout Central America, but they continued to refer to them as "Freedom Fighters." on par with the likes of George Washington

Any right wing fuktard with internet access can check out Google and find out what happened to the Maryknoll nuns in Central America, who did it and who funded them, but not you?

Your head is in the sand as usual when you come up against an inconvenient truth that shatters your world view.

You hold positions that conform not to obejective reality, nor to known rational measurement. Thus when you post your wet farts masking as intelligent mouthings, you open your self to rightful ridicule.

You are so blinded with ideological bull$hit that you cannot even understand that to fund a terrorist and supply him with arms who then kills innocent men women and children is himself just as much a fukking rat bastard terrorist war criminal scum as the son-of-a bitch who pulled the trigger. That you fail to understand that chain of custody of moral responsibility makes you the subject of the scorn and reprobation of those of us who are normal human beings.

Since I can not literally, nor would I for moral reasons strangle you in your sleep for the sake of humanity, the best I can do is hold your insane posts up to the light of facts and reason and hope to shame you into changing your ways or shutting up.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 11:50 am
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

What an ignorant remark.

Marynoll Nuns.

Argument? I saw no argument from you. I saw a declarative statement viz.,

Quote:

based upon historical illiteracy and called you on it.

Ronald Reagan, Oliver North, and the rest of those murdering bastards in the Reagan regime knew long afterwards such violence commenced that the money they continued to secretly funnel to the Contras was going into the pockets of death squads throughout Central America, but they continued to refer to them as "Freedom Fighters." on par with the likes of George Washington

Any right wing fuktard with internet access can check out Google and find out what happened to the Maryknoll nuns in Central America, who did it and who funded them, but not you?

Your head is in the sand as usual when you come up against an inconvenient truth that shatters your world view.

You hold positions that conform not to obejective reality, nor to known rational measurement. Thus when you post your wet farts masking as intelligent mouthings, you open your self to rightful ridicule.

You are so blinded with ideological bull$hit that you cannot even understand that to fund a terrorist and supply him with arms who then kills innocent men women and children is himself just as much a fukking rat bastard terrorist war criminal scum as the son-of-a bitch who pulled the trigger. That you fail to understand that chain of custody of moral responsibility makes you the subject of the scorn and reprobation of those of us who are normal human beings.

Since I can not literally, nor would I for moral reasons strangle you in your sleep for the sake of humanity, the best I can do is hold your insane posts up to the light of facts and reason and hope to shame you into changing your ways or shutting up.

Hopefully even the A2K liberals will be ashamed of this sort of inappropriate post. Frankly, I think you have some sort of emotional problem.

If the Contras did deliberately and systematically attack non-combatants, then they were not freedom fighters and should not have been supported at all, no matter how great our distaste for the Sandanistas. I feel that my definition of a terrorist is the correct one.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:13 pm
Brandon, i'm an a2k non-conservative, let's put it that way, and i never, EVER, use profanity, not on a2k, and not in real life. there's no linkage between abusive language & political persuasion, as far as i'm concerned. mind you, anyone has the right to express a political opinion with whatever vocabulary they choose to use--as long as it doesn't cross the line and become hate speech--but i personally prefer genteel language.
0 Replies