JPB

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:17 pm
nope, I'll use it. Yawannacomefordinner?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:31 pm
You betcha!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
How's about September? It should be cooler by then Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
hmmmaybe
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:34 am
Tonight's the night!

ehbeth, you'd better let me do this as a test run. I make no promises on how it's going to turn out. I'll have you over next time fersure.

Mr B has already told me that he's scared. I'll show him!!!

<on the other hand, I have plenty of leftover pizza available, as needed>
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 08:32 am
Easy Whole Fresh Salmon
Easy Whole Fresh Salmon
By BumbleBeeBoogie

My whole salmon is better and more moist than salmon steaks or fillets and my method is so easy to prepare. I use basil leaves instead of the traditional dill because I like the flavor it adds to the salmon. I bought a long fish-shaped lidded clay pot, whose bottom inside is glazed for easy cleaning. I soak the pot and lid in water for about 15 minutes before using.

I buy whole salmon of a length that will fit into my special clay pot (the pot will fit into my microwave oven).

1 whole fresh or frozen salmon, cleaned
1 bunch of basil leaves
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 fresh lemon, sliced into thin slices

Thaw the salmon if frozen. Wash the salmon inside and out. Wash and drain dry the basil leaves. Fill the salmon's cavity with the basil leaves, lemon slices, sprinkle with the salt and pepper.

Place the stuffed fish in the clay pot, put the lid on and place in the microwave oven. Cook as directed for your oven and the weight of your salmon. Do not overcook. Remove the salmon every 5 minutes to test for flakiness and light pink, not raw, fish.

When cooked, you may move the salmon to a fish platter or leave it in the bottom of the clay pot and bring to the table. I usually leave the salmon in its clay pot bottom.

Before serving, you may optionally remove the basil leaves and lemon slices. With a knife or spoon, gently scrape the black skin off the top side of the salmon to expose the light pink flesh. To serve, simply flake off large chunks of the salmon from the bone structure (the rib bones we all hate will remain attached to the spine bones so you obtain bone-free salmon chunks.) Provide additional lemon wedges.

When the top part of the salmon has been eaten, turn the salmon over and repeat on that side so all the salmon is exposed for eating.

NOTE: You can cook the salmon in your oven in a conventional clay pot, buying a salmon that will fit into the size of your pot, and bake it in the oven at the temperature required for your clay pot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:48 am
<salivating>
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:33 pm
ze pot iz zoaking
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:57 pm
<drooling>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 04:00 pm
I never ever thought of clay pot + microwave. Interesting!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 04:06 pm
I looked at a bunch of the different recipes posted and pulled a few of them together.

I threw a handful of carrots into the bottom of the pot, stuffed the chicken with fresh picked herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, chives) and half a lemon (after I'd squeezed the lemon juice over the outside of the bird), rubbed a few cloves of garlic on the skin (then tossed them into the cavity as well), filled any open spaces around the side of the pot with potatoes, salt, pepper and about 1/2 cup of chicken broth.

Now, we wait.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 04:08 pm
<putting a bib on>
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 04:37 pm
I hate recipes that call for no peeking. I want to look, dammit!

It's starting to smell good in here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:16 pm
yummmmmmmm

I did the "pour the juices into a saucepan and thicken with cornstarch" thing.

Herbed oast chicken with carrots, potatoes, and gravy. Since the oven was up so high, I also threw in a bunch of fresh asparagus tossed with olive oil and salt while I was making the gravy. It was all delicious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:17 pm
Yay!

Thanks for filling us in, the suspense was killing me. :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:18 pm
Yayyy, the clay cooker caramba..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:18 pm
... and you'll be doing this again ... when ... ?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:22 pm
Soon!

When can you be in town? Very Happy

and in most languages, 'oast' chicken would translate to 'roast'
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:59 am
Any other claypot recipes anyone cares to share?

I just inherited an unloved/hardly-used one from a friend! Very Happy

Not a gigantic one, but big enough!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
What kinda protein will you be using?
0 Replies