Has Anyone Besides Me Noticed

candidone1

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 12:06 am
Well for starters.....

Quote:
"There's no question that Iraq was a threat to the people of the United States."
• White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan, 8/26/03

"We ended the threat from Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction."
• President Bush, 7/17/03

Iraq was "the most dangerous threat of our time."
• White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 7/17/03

"Saddam Hussein is no longer a threat to the United States because we removed him, but he was a threat...He was a threat. He's not a threat now."
• President Bush, 7/2/03

"Absolutely."
• White House spokesman Ari Fleischer answering whether Iraq was an "imminent threat," 5/7/03

"We gave our word that the threat from Iraq would be ended."
• President Bush 4/24/03

"The threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction will be removed."
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 3/25/03

"It is only a matter of time before the Iraqi regime is destroyed and its threat to the region and the world is ended."
• Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke, 3/22/03

"The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder."
• President Bush, 3/19/03

"The dictator of Iraq and his weapons of mass destruction are a threat to the security of free nations."
• President Bush, 3/16/03

"This is about imminent threat."
• White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 2/10/03

Iraq is "a serious threat to our country, to our friends and to our allies."
• Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/31/03

Iraq poses "terrible threats to the civilized world."
• Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/30/03

Iraq "threatens the United States of America."
• Vice President Cheney, 1/30/03

"Iraq poses a serious and mounting threat to our country. His regime has the design for a nuclear weapon, was working on several different methods of enriching uranium, and recently was discovered seeking significant quantities of uranium from Africa."
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 1/29/03

"Well, of course he is."
• White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett responding to the question "is Saddam an imminent threat to U.S. interests, either in that part of the world or to Americans right here at home?", 1/26/03

"Saddam Hussein possesses chemical and biological weapons. Iraq poses a threat to the security of our people and to the stability of the world that is distinct from any other. It's a danger to its neighbors, to the United States, to the Middle East and to the international peace and stability. It's a danger we cannot ignore. Iraq and North Korea are both repressive dictatorships to be sure and both pose threats. But Iraq is unique. In both word and deed, Iraq has demonstrated that it is seeking the means to strike the United States and our friends and allies with weapons of mass destruction."
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 1/20/03

"The Iraqi regime is a threat to any American. ... Iraq is a threat, a real threat."
• President Bush, 1/3/03

"The world is also uniting to answer the unique and urgent threat posed by Iraq whose dictator has already used weapons of mass destruction to kill thousands."
• President Bush, 11/23/02

"I would look you in the eye and I would say, go back before September 11 and ask yourself this question: Was the attack that took place on September 11 an imminent threat the month before or two months before or three months before or six months before? When did the attack on September 11 become an imminent threat? Now, transport yourself forward a year, two years or a week or a month...So the question is, when is it such an immediate threat that you must do something?"
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 11/14/02

"Saddam Hussein is a threat to America."
• President Bush, 11/3/02

"I see a significant threat to the security of the United States in Iraq."
• President Bush, 11/1/02

"There is real threat, in my judgment, a real and dangerous threat to American in Iraq in the form of Saddam Hussein."
• President Bush, 10/28/02

"The Iraqi regime is a serious and growing threat to peace."
• President Bush, 10/16/02

"There are many dangers in the world, the threat from Iraq stands alone because it gathers the most serious dangers of our age in one place. Iraq could decide on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist group or individual terrorists."
• President Bush, 10/7/02

"The Iraqi regime is a threat of unique urgency."
• President Bush, 10/2/02

"There's a grave threat in Iraq. There just is."
• President Bush, 10/2/02

"This man poses a much graver threat than anybody could have possibly imagined."
• President Bush, 9/26/02

"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the stability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/19/02

"Some have argued that the nuclear threat from Iraq is not imminent - that Saddam is at least 5-7 years away from having nuclear weapons. I would not be so certain. And we should be just as concerned about the immediate threat from biological weapons. Iraq has these weapons."
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/18/02

"Iraq is busy enhancing its capabilities in the field of chemical and biological agents, and they continue to pursue an aggressive nuclear weapons program. These are offensive weapons for the purpose of inflicting death on a massive scale, developed so that Saddam Hussein can hold the threat over the head of any one he chooses. What we must not do in the face of this mortal threat is to give in to wishful thinking or to willful blindness."
• Vice President Dick Cheney, 8/29/02

Source

And....

Quote:
Powell: Violations justified war
Asked if Iraq posed an imminent threat to the United States at the time of the invasion, Kay said, "Based on the intelligence that existed, I think it was reasonable to reach the conclusion that Iraq posed an imminent threat."

Source

And another.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 12:12 am
But, predictably, you'll both argue a semantic distinction between "serious threat", the "greatest threat of our times", "terrible threat", "real threat", "significant threat", "threat of unique urgency", "grave threat", "immediate threat"...but they are synonymous.

So don't bother.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 01:56 am
We ask you for links in which someone said that Iraq posed an imminent threat, and you provide links in which someone said that Iraq posed a threat. A threat is not necessarily an imminent threat. Very few of these citations of yours refer to imminence. One of the few in which imminence is discussed is this one:

If you look at the quotation in context, it's very unclear what Mr. McClellan was talking about, but it related to the defense of Turkey. In any event, it sure isn't something that the president said.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 02:01 am
Very Happy

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78639&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 06:13 am
candidone1 wrote:
I remember a time when Saddam was considered an "imminent" threat.

That's a long ways from claiming the President said Saddam was an iiminent threat. Candid didn't even claim it was said by anyone in the administration. All that was said was that Saddam was considered...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 07:38 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
We ask you for links in which someone said that Iraq posed an imminent threat, and you provide links in which someone said that Iraq posed a threat. A threat is not necessarily an imminent threat. Very few of these citations of yours refer to imminence. One of the few in which imminence is discussed is this one:

If you look at the quotation in context, it's very unclear what Mr. McClellan was talking about, but it related to the defense of Turkey. In any event, it sure isn't something that the president said.

damn candidone, do you get tired of being right all the time? I know I do. Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 10:27 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

damn candidone, do you get tired of being right all the time? I know I do. Laughing

No, you're wrong. Bush specifically acknowledged that the threat wasn't imminent in his January 2003 State of the Union Address:

Quote:
Imagine those 19 hijackers with other weapons and other plans -- this time armed by Saddam Hussein. It would take one vial, one canister, one crate slipped into this country to bring a day of horror like none we have ever known. We will do everything in our power to make sure that that day never comes.

Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late.

State of the Union Address
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 12:07 pm
squinney wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

That's a long ways from claiming the President said Saddam was an iiminent threat. Candid didn't even claim it was said by anyone in the administration. All that was said was that Saddam was considered...

True ... which is why I asked him who said Saddam was an "imminent threat."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 01:21 pm
My God!!!
This effort, so far, has cost us 2500 American's lives, billions of dollars and severe damage to our reputation with the rest of the world.
And it all boils down to semantics? And the meaning of the word that may or may not have been used? Imminent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 01:35 pm
I'm with realjohnboy. Quibbling over something this trivial, when that war is destroyng lives and society.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 02:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

When was that, and by whom?

Yes, it's pretty clear that no one in the Bush administration ever described the threat from Iraq as imminent. Who said this?

Ticomaya wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

When was that, and by whom?

I never claimed that Bush used the word "imminent".
Brandon acknowledged this by broadly stating that no one on the Bush administration used the word "imminent".

I later listed the synonyms that have the same effect as "imminent", such as serious, the greatest threat of our times, terrible threat, real threat, significant threat, threat of unique urgency, grave threat, immediate threat.....
But, as I predicted, a semantic argument ensues and these boys refuse to admit that perhaps they were wrong.

The SOTU was one speech where "imminent" or another synonym was omitted compared to dozens of other instances when the threat posed by Saddam was pumped up.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 03:35 pm
The truth is, Saddam was NO THREAT!!! Therefore, the US has destroyed countless lives for naught!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 03:52 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
My God!!!
This effort, so far, has cost us 2500 American's lives, billions of dollars and severe damage to our reputation with the rest of the world.
And it all boils down to semantics? And the meaning of the word that may or may not have been used? Imminent.

What boils down to semantics? Try and get a handle on what's being discussed here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 03:54 pm
rjb nailed it pretty well.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

candidone1 wrote:
I never claimed that Bush used the word "imminent".
Brandon acknowledged this by broadly stating that no one on the Bush administration used the word "imminent".

Correct. You were very vague in your post. Which is why I asked for clarification on what you were talking about. As best I can determine, you were talking about David Kay, when he said he thought it was reasonable to conclude Saddam was an "imminent" threat, after he quit the Bush administration.

Quote:
I later listed the synonyms that have the same effect as "imminent", such as serious, the greatest threat of our times, terrible threat, real threat, significant threat, threat of unique urgency, grave threat, immediate threat.....

Those are certainly NOT synonyms of the word "imminent." The following is what is listed in the thesaurus entry for "imminent":
    [quote][i]imminent [/i]- close in time; about to occur; "retribution is at hand"; "some people believe the day of judgment is close at hand"; "in imminent danger"; "his impending retirement" impending, at hand, close at hand close - at or within a short distance in space or time or having elements near each other; "close to noon"; "how close are we to town?"; "a close formation of ships"[/quote]

LINK

Quote:
But, as I predicted, a semantic argument ensues and these boys refuse to admit that perhaps they were wrong.

Who was wrong?

What is telling about this little exchange is it is you who appears to be wrong, yet you refuse to admit it. "Serious," "greatest," "terrible," "real," "significant," "unique," "grave" .... none of those words is the same as "imminent." They convey a completely different meaning. If you had said, "I remember when Saddam was considered a serious threat," I wouldn't have questioned you.

"Immediate" is very nearly the same. Who said Saddam was an "immediate" threat?

Quote:
The SOTU was one speech where "imminent" or another synonym was omitted compared to dozens of other instances when the threat posed by Saddam was pumped up.

I question your ability to figure out what is a synonym of the word "imminent," since you've already demonstrated an inability to figure that simple task out.

But if the point you were trying to make was that David Kay thought Saddam was an imminent threat, I'll admit that it appears he did.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

NickFun wrote:
The truth is, Saddam was NO THREAT!!! Therefore, the US has destroyed countless lives for naught!

Don't be ridiculous. Of course Saddam was a threat.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 06:22 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
\
What is telling about this little exchange is it is you who appears to be wrong, yet you refuse to admit it. "significant," "unique," "grave" .... none of those words is the same as "imminent." They convey a completely different meaning. If you had said, "I remember when Saddam was considered a serious threat," I wouldn't have questioned you.

"Immediate" is very nearly the same. Who said Saddam was an "immediate" threat?

Must be nice being a Bushie.
Hang everyone up on the small things to distract from the fact that what you are saying is complete garbage.
If anyone said that my neighbor was a threat of any of the kinds I have mentioned (to my family) they would have been regarded as a threat of the same kind.
You simply can't sell me the notion that when the President of the United States and members of his administration publicly and frequently label Saddam as a threat (of any of the kinds I have mentioned), they have the cognitive wherewithal to semantically differentiate between the gravity of "imminent" and "serious"?
....you're about as out of touch with the common American as Bush himself.
With 67% of the American population being between the ages of 15 and 64 and a mean age of 36, the vast majority of Americans remember the first gulf war and need only be reminded of Saddam as a threat linked to bin Laden.
They won't differentiate the kind of threat he posed.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:25 pm
candidone1 wrote:
You simply can't sell me the notion that when the President of the United States and members of his administration publicly and frequently label Saddam as a threat (of any of the kinds I have mentioned), they have the cognitive wherewithal to semantically differentiate between the gravity of "imminent" and "serious"?

I'm not trying to sell you anything. You, on the other hand, are trying to sell me that "imminent" means the same thing as "serious." I'm not buying it.

candione1 wrote:

The word "imminent" was not omitted in the 2003 SOTU speech. Bush pointed out that the threat posed by Saddam was NOT imminent, but that we could not wait until it was:

Bush, in his 2003 SOTU speech wrote:
"Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late."

LINK

But even though his words were clear and unambiguous, that didn't stop leftists from claiming then, and still claiming today, that Bush lied when he called called the Iraq threat "imminent."
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
The Bushites blindly follow Bush to the grave. Allow me to clarify. Saddam was no threat TO THE UNITED STATES! He was not involved with Al Queda. He possessed no WMD's. He never even threatened to attack the US! Show me justification for this war.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:43 pm
I'm just curious, because Bush keeps saying he'll protect the American People, but we have illegal immigrants coming into our country by the thousands every year. How does that translate into "security?" Are they catching all the "terrorists" that come across our borders illegally?

Is it true that we still have containers coming into our country from all over the world without any inspection?

How is that security for America?

Just wondering.
0 Replies