I Can't Believe I Just Heard This

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
I had to go to the store and I was listening to the radio while driving. I heard that "someone" (didn't catch who) was suggesting that the way we spell certain words should be changed. They said words like bomb, tomb, and comb should be spelled the way they sound.

Experts (they claim) say that this will help to reduce the illiteracy rate. Ok, maybe I am just not seeing the benefits of this but to me, this is just trying to lower a standard. What's wrong with people just learning how to spell correctly in the first place? If we go changing the spelling of all these words then what happens to those that already know how to spell them? Won't they, in effect, become illiterate until they learn to spell the words in the "new" way? Shocked

I know there are some school teachers on A2K and I'm very curious as to what your reaction is to this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,831 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:38 pm
I'll bet you heard OmSig David!

He is always spouting off about spelling that way.

I think it is ridiculous and incomprehensible.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:00 pm
Hi Boomerang!

It was one of our local radio stations and they said it came from "some news somewhere" but I didn't catch that part. It floored me though. I can't imagine anyone thinking that this would ever catch on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:11 pm
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. believed in the use of phonetic spelling, and attempted to implement it when he was President. However, he did not issue any executive orders on the subject, as he apparently had the wisdom to recognize that he could not enforce it by fiat. His efforts to encourage phonetic spelling were a signal failure.

I suspect that there will always be people who attempt this, and that there will always be people who will deride them for it. It has happened before though, and was once successful. Noah Webster decided that spelling should be "rationalized" for American children. Therefore, he changed "centre" to "center," and all of the "-our" words to "-or" (as in colour/color, honour/honor, humour/humor). Frequently, English and other English-speakers deride the Americans for this. However, they ignore that Noah Webster also changed "magick" to "magic" and "musick" to "music," and that all English-speakers now follow those spellings. There are other examples as well, but i disremember them.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:33 pm
Benjamin Franklin was also one that pushed a phonetic alphabet.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/franklin.htm

He supposedly wrote most of his personal notes using his own alphabet - and it drove many of his friends and family nuts!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:58 pm
The well documented overview is that language, like clothes, has several functions. It changes and adapts organically Each generation and social corpus tends to cling to its own "fashion" but social, geopolitical and technological change have an inevitable impact.
0 Replies

graemedaulby

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:46 am
i've never quite grasped why we have silent letters. Why do we put them in the spelling if were not gonna say them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 10:37 am
I'll ditto Fresco's response on this.

As much as I personally prefer some spellings, it's important to remember that language isn't stagnant.

(in other words, your poll options don't give me anything to work with)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 05:54 am
graemedaulby,

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/silentletters01.html

Many idiosyncracies in English spelling point to historical origins. Language is a vehicle for cultural transmission. An analogy with clothes is the buttons on the cuff of a man's jacket which used to be functional in swordplay by widening the sleeve.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:06 am
And then there was the dutch who operated the publishing houses in New Amsterdam.
0 Replies