Cycloptichorn wrote:
Horowitz??
Cycloptichorn

Nope!

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:08 pm
Could be any pro-voucher conservative or libertarian with a taste for strong rhetoric. I know I've heard the theme several times from John Tierney, though not in those words.

John Tierney? Perhaps even Milton Friedman? Or someone as lowly as Grover Norquist? As I said, could be almost anybody my side of John Kerry.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:42 pm
Thomas
Thomas wrote:
Could be any pro-voucher conservative or libertarian with a taste for strong rhetoric. I know I've heard the theme several times from John Tierney, though not in those words.

John Tierney? Perhaps even Milton Friedman? Or someone as lowly as Grover Norquist? As I said, could be almost anybody my side of John Kerry.

Bingo! Grover Norquist is the rascal who utter those words. I consider him to be a world-class bottom feeder.

Your turn.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:48 pm
BBB
Thomas, I'm still trying to figure out who your last pundit was, that remains unidentified. Could it be Paul Krugmann? If not, then I give up.

BBB
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 11:42 pm
At first I thought this would be an interesting game, and maybe it still can be, but you'll have to use pundits with recognizable styles as opposed to finding ones that simply contradict themselves - almost anyone who writes a daily column for a living is going to, at one point or another, contradict him or herself, or prove themselves laughably wrong.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:06 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Thomas, I'm still trying to figure out who your last pundit was, that remains unidentified. Could it be Paul Krugmann? If not, then I give up.

BBB

Oh, I already said this, but our posts crossed and maybe you didn't see it. It was Paul Krugman, talking about the Clinton administration.

Finn, is there a particular pundit with a recognizable style you would like to offer? If so, please feel free to submit a sample.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:58 pm
Offering this one because it surprised me (but then I dont keep consistent track of op-ed writers etc, so please dont blame me):

Quote:
Today, with all three components of the "axis of evil" -- Iraq, Iran and North Korea -- more dangerous than they were when that phrase was coined in 2002, the country would welcome, [..] as a glimpse into the abyss, presidential words as realistic as those Britain heard on June 4, 1940.

Or the long version:

Quote:
Almost three years after the invasion, it is still not certain whether, or in what sense, Iraq is a nation. And after two elections and a referendum on its constitution, Iraq barely has a government. [..]

[Name of op-ed writer] reports that Shiite militias "have broken up coed picnics, executed barbers [for the sin of shaving beards] and liquor store owners, instituted their own courts, and posted religious guards in front of girls' schools to ensure Iranian-style dress." Iraq's other indispensable man, Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, says that unless the government can protect religious sites, "the believers will." [..]

In the New Republic, Lawrence Kaplan [..] reports: "With U.S reconstruction aid running out, Iraq's infrastructure, never fully restored to begin with, decays by the hour... [C]orruption has helped drive every public service measure -- electricity, potable water, heating oil -- down below its prewar norm."

Kaplan tells of a student who, seeing insurgents preparing a mortar attack, called a government emergency number. Fortunately for him, no one answered. Later, friends warned him that callers' numbers appear at the government's emergency office and that they are sold to insurgents. The student took Kaplan to see a wall adorned with a picture and death announcement of a man whose call was answered.

Today, with all three components of the "axis of evil" -- Iraq, Iran and North Korea -- more dangerous than they were when that phrase was coined in 2002, the country would welcome, and Iraq's political class needs to hear, as a glimpse into the abyss, presidential words as realistic as those Britain heard on June 4, 1940.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 03:18 pm
I read this article, so I can't answer it. (Surprising indeed.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:10 am
Breaking in with completely irrelevant, but not-to-be-missed urgency, I've just discovered an old music video featuring NIMH and some friends. Attend to the exciting choreography.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8610362188397291938
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:16 am
Oh, those were the days..

After you watched that one, watch this one: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=272726365278093713

Hey, I've got imitators, and everything! Razz
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:07 am
Performance marred by the weak and unconfident crotch-grab.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:14 pm
blatham wrote:
Attend to the exciting choreography.

nimh wrote:
Hey, I've got imitators, and everything!

Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:34 pm
blatham wrote:
Performance marred by the weak and unconfident crotch-grab.

It was more a laying-of-hand-somewhat-near-but-not-actually-on-crotch.

Nice hip wiggling after, though.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:56 pm
blatham wrote:
Breaking in with completely irrelevant, but not-to-be-missed urgency, I've just discovered an old music video featuring NIMH and some friends. Attend to the exciting choreography.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8610362188397291938

Jesus. Shocked

I so don't have a crush on nimh anymore....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:54 pm
Laughed really loud at soz's post.

Then laughed even louder at cyphercat's.

Let me tie off this diversion with a tip. I just saw a trailer for an upcoming movie that seems destined to become a classic. It's called Krrrrish. Bollywood figured they ought to have an Indian Superman (yes, really) and that's our boy Krrrish. There's saffron and large breasts and casts of thousands dancing on mountains and Superman/Krrrish dancing at a disco. Coming soon. And I absolutely cannot wait.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 07:01 am
thomas

Here's one from today's papers. Some of you will already have read it.
Quote:
"Grotesque" was Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's characterization of the charge that the U.S. invasion of Iraq was responsible for the current Middle East conflagration. She is correct, up to a point. This point: Hezbollah and Hamas were alive and toxic long before March 2003. Still, it is not perverse to wonder whether the spectacle of America, currently learning a lesson -- one that conservatives should not have to learn on the job -- about the limits of power to subdue an unruly world, has emboldened many enemies.

Speaking on ABC's "This Week," Rice called it "shortsighted" to judge the success of the administration's transformational ambitions by a "snapshot" of progress "some couple of years" into the transformation. She seems to consider today's turmoil preferable to the Middle East's "false stability" of the past 60 years, during which U.S. policy "turned a blind eye to the absence of the democratic forces."

There is, however, a sense in which that argument creates a blind eye: It makes instability, no matter how pandemic or lethal, necessarily a sign of progress. Violence is vindication: Hamas and Hezbollah have, Rice says, "determined that it is time now to try and arrest the move toward moderate democratic forces in the Middle East."

But there also is democratic movement toward extremism. America's intervention was supposed to democratize Iraq, which, by benign infection, would transform the region. Early on in the Iraq occupation, Rice argued that democratic institutions do not just spring from a hospitable political culture, they also can help create such a culture. Perhaps.

But elections have transformed Hamas into the government of the Palestinian territories, and elections have turned Hezbollah into a significant faction in Lebanon's parliament, from which it operates as a state within the state. And as a possible harbinger of future horrors, last year's elections gave the Muslim Brotherhood 19 percent of the seats in Egypt's parliament.

The Bush administration has rightly refrained from criticizing the region's only democracy, Israel, for its forceful response to a thousand rockets fired at its population. U.S. reticence is seemly, considering that terrorism has been Israel's torment for decades, and that America responded to two hours of terrorism one September morning by toppling two regimes halfway around the world with wars that show no signs of ending.

The administration, justly criticized for its Iraq premises and their execution, is suddenly receiving some criticism so untethered from reality as to defy caricature. The national, ethnic and religious dynamics of the Middle East are opaque to most people, but to the Weekly Standard -- voice of a spectacularly misnamed radicalism, "neoconservatism" -- everything is crystal clear: Iran is the key to everything .

"No Islamic Republic of Iran, no Hezbollah. No Islamic Republic of Iran, no one to prop up the Assad regime in Syria. No Iranian support for Syria . . ." You get the drift. So, the Weekly Standard says:

"We might consider countering this act of Iranian aggression with a military strike against Iranian nuclear facilities. Why wait? Does anyone think a nuclear Iran can be contained? That the current regime will negotiate in good faith? It would be easier to act sooner rather than later. Yes, there would be repercussions -- and they would be healthy ones, showing a strong America that has rejected further appeasement."

"Why wait?" Perhaps because the U.S. military has enough on its plate in the deteriorating wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, which both border Iran. And perhaps because containment, although of uncertain success, did work against Stalin and his successors, and might be preferable to a war against a nation much larger and more formidable than Iraq. And if Bashar Assad's regime does not fall after the Weekly Standard's hoped-for third war, with Iran, does the magazine hope for a fourth?

As for the "healthy" repercussions that the Weekly Standard is so eager to experience from yet another war: One envies that publication's powers of prophecy but wishes it had exercised them on the nation's behalf before all of the surprises -- all of them unpleasant -- that Iraq has inflicted. And regarding the "appeasement" that the Weekly Standard decries: Does the magazine really wish the administration had heeded its earlier (Dec. 20, 2004) editorial advocating war with yet another nation -- the bombing of Syria?

Neoconservatives have much to learn, even from Buddy Bell, manager of the Kansas City Royals. After his team lost its 10th consecutive game in April, Bell said, "I never say it can't get worse." In their next game, the Royals extended their losing streak to 11 and in May lost 13 in a row.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 07:46 am
blatham wrote:
thomas

Here's one from today's papers. Some of you will already have read it.

Damn! Another one I've already read. Stop posting those damn librul Bush haters!

Seriously, that was another interesting one. Any takers? (Hint: it's the same pundit as the last one I'd already read.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
Thought I'd drop this old gem of a quote here..

Who said this, in 2003?

Quote:
there's been a certain amount of pop sociology in America ... that the Shia can't get along with the Sunni and the Shia in Iraq just want to establish some kind of Islamic fundamentalist regime. There's almost no evidence of that at all. Iraq's always been very secular
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:09 am
that's a deceitful, negatives-minimizing neocon voice... could be rummie or wolfie or kristol. Or even cheney.
0 Replies