Let's Play "Guess the Pundit"

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:07 pm
William Saffire? He's not a regular columnist anymore though.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 06:52 pm
Sorry, forgot about this one.

Yes, BBB was right: it was indeed George Will.

I got it from a book of facts. When I went to Google to find confirmation of the quote, I found an article that mentioned it as well, and that added another fine quote, this one by William Saffire, which will immediately serve to explain Thomas' confusion.

For it was William Saffire who, apparently, in November 1987 described glasnost and perestroika as part of the Communist program to "dominate the world" and forecast that Gorbachev would "crack down as Mr. Stalin would have"...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:32 am
That's very interesting. Neither man is stupid nor uneducated. I'd suggest that their depth of error was a consequence of that particular aspect or strain in American nationalism which seems to require a nearly absolute malignancy with which to do on-going battle.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:39 am
I'd like to play this game but I havent worked out how to cheat

Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:47 am
We know you well and will grant you another five minutes to figure something out, steve.

Might I add to my last thoughts another...the correspondence between that strain of "nationalism" I just pointed to and the centrality of weapons and war industries in the US economy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:38 am
blatham wrote:
We know you well and will grant you another five minutes to figure something out, steve.

Might I add to my last thoughts another...the correspondence between that strain of "nationalism" I just pointed to and the centrality of weapons and war industries in the US economy.

You absolutely might. And in this spirit, I picked a quote in which a fervent critic of the president attacks exactly this mode of thinking. (Name of one foreign country obscured.)

Guess the pundit who wrote:
This is an administration which, despite all of the advice from economists who really know something about it, has decided that foreigners are our problem, that competition with China, competition with the Third World, outsiders are responsible for our jobs problems, that getting tough with the rest of the world is the priority, not dealing with our own domestic problems.... The reason we have a trade deficit is... we don't save enough. That's a domestic problem.... [T]o a large degree, foreigners are doing us a favor by lending us money which is the other side of our trade deficit....

We have... some real arguments with the chinese... the Chinese are not lovable. I wish that they... would behave better, but it's a little bit like saying "look, my neighbor's annoying me, so I'm gonna start trashing his back yard. I'm gonna kill his dog."... [W]e're taking what is really a sort of third rate dispute with China and making it the centerpiece of our economic policy....

We can get into a situation where we start retaliating against the Chinese, they retaliate against us. The Europeans say yeah, we'll do that too... it would be really damaging to the world economy and especially to smaller countries.... n this administration no one dares say a word against exports [and their promotion]. Exports have become God....

[This president has] done some good things, and there are some very good economists in the administration, but there are some core beliefs that are wrong in this administration and some key people who were put in their positions because they shared those core beliefs who are doing a lot of damage...

I wonder who said this?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:39 am
Thomas
Thomas, is this an American Pundit or have you strayed over the pond?

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
It's an American pundit.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:52 am
Thomas
Is it Lakoff or Geoffrey Nunberg?

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:54 am
Re: Thomas
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Is it Lakoff or Geoffrey Nunberg?

BBB

Nope.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:55 am
BBB
How about Ron Suskind?

BBB
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:58 am
Thomas wrote:
Okay, at this point I guess I'll borrow a page from Walter's Where Am I -- Travelgame thread. Joe, since you guessed the last author, you get to name the next piece of punditry for us to guess.

Thanks, Thomas, but I think you'll have to play without me. My computer modem at home died, so I can only surf the net at work, and my opportunities for that are limited.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Okay, at this point I guess I'll borrow a page from Walter's Where Am I -- Travelgame thread. Joe, since you guessed the last author, you get to name the next piece of punditry for us to guess.

Thanks, Thomas, but I think you'll have to play without me. My computer modem at home died, so I can only surf the net at work, and my opportunities for that are limited.

Sorry to hear it. Best wishes to your modem, I am hoping for a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:03 am
BBB
Could it be Katrina vanden Heuvel?

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
How about Ron Suskind?

BBB

No, but Suskind is closer. The pundit in question wrote a very favorable review about Suskind's Price of Loyalty. He is also better known than Katrina van den Heuvel.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:08 am
BBB
It must be Robert Scheer.

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:13 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
It must be Robert Scheer.

BBB

Cold.

I'm just noticing that you had correctly guessed nimh's George Will quote and have the right to post something. I had overlooked that, I'm sorry. So let's say one more guess about my quote and then you give us something to chew on.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:14 am
BBB
MICHAEL KINSLEY?

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:17 am
Nope. It's Paul Krugman, talking about the Clinton administration in 1994. I changed "Japan" into "China" to obscure the date.

http://www.pkarchive.org/trade/CNNNews032594.html

Take your time selecting the next challenge. I need to do some work elsewhere.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:17 am
BBB
Here is a new quote:

In the old days, George Wallace stood in the schoolhouse doorway and told children they could not come in. Today, the foes of school choice stand in the doorway and say to the grandchildren of George Wallace's victims, 'You cannot get out'.

BBB
0 Replies