Let's Play "Guess the Pundit"

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:21 am
In the "Politics" forum, it is annoyingly common that people don't state their own views, but rather copy and paste the diatribe of some partisan pundit who happens to agree with them. But I know better than to complain about this. This would be pointless; people won't stop posting this stuff just because I don't like it. So what I'd like to try instead is to make lemonade out of the lemons my fellow posters keep handing me there, (and that I may well be handing to them).

Let's play "guess the pundit". Do you pay attention to the texts you copy&paste? Prove it by recognizing their prose a few months after they've written it. Did an enemy pundit of yours say something 5 years ago that makes him look stupid today? Get even with him, post the condemning evidence here, and embarrass this pundit's adherents as they recognize his voice.

Two rules, which I know perfectly well I can't enforce, but which I'm stating as an information for those who'd like to play by them. (1) No Googling! The idea is to recognize the pundit's style, so Googling for the excerpt is foul play. (2) It's fair game to change names and places to obscure which the side the pundit is a partisan of, and the time he wrote his article at. But if you change them, you have to change them consitently.

And with that, let's begin.

guess the pundit who wrote:
NOTHING IS EASIER than getting into a war. Getting out can be a lot harder. Vietnam should have taught us that -- and the lesson should not need repeating.

President Bush's speech in the Pentagon, attempting to explain what our purpose is in attacking Iraq, was long on platitudes and elaborations of the obvious, but very short on the real question -- just what result will cause us to stop the war and go home? He totally ignored the most ominous question of all: What if this widens into a bigger war, involving more countries?

[...]

Wars should never be begun with the rosy assumption that everything will go according to plan. Nor should we start a war because we just have to "do something" about somebody we detest. Saddam Hussein is certainly rotten but are we prepared to start bombing every rotten despot? Are we even prepared to start bombing every country with weapons of mass destruction?

George Bush has failed to tell us what his "exit strategy" is. When will we stop the war and go home?

[...]

In the 1991 Gulf War, we had clear objectives and the ability to win those objectives in short order. The objective was to drive the Iraqi army out of Kuwait and destroy its equipment. When that was done, we could declare victory and go home.

The Bush administration shows its usual pattern of playing everything politically by ear on a day-to-day basis. But, in war, such short-sightedness has often been the road to long-run tragedy.

Now the ball is in your field. Who wrote this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,893 • Replies: 69
No top replies

paull

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:33 am
I had no clue, so I cheated. Very interesting Thomas!
I won't spoil the contest.

I don't think any "pundit" can go long without contradiction. I am ever so glad that my takes aren't on paper or disk (other than the few here).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:47 am
This is hard! I'm assuming from context that it's not one of the obvious ones (Krugman, say). Brooks?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:56 am
sozobe wrote:
This is hard! I'm assuming from context that it's not one of the obvious ones (Krugman, say). Brooks?

Hint: It's a conservative favorite -- Foxfyre quotes him often. (Obviously, I did a little obscuring.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:59 am
Oh, cool! (I cheated too.)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:10 am
Thomas, I hope you get enough players to make this work, it's the best idea for a thread to come along in years. Trouble is, there aren't that many people who are as knowledgable politically as you. I hope they come by and play the game. This is, as soz says, "cool."

I'll be lurking.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:21 am
Kristol?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:36 am
Yeah...that makes more sense. This isn't a fellow I read much at all and I had some problem with Kristol making that second last quote if it is unchanced.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:37 am
What difference does it make who wrote it?

Don't the words speak for themselves?

Is this thread just an excuse for repeating anti-war propaganda with the least possible effort.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:58 am
spendius wrote:
What difference does it make who wrote it?

Don't the words speak for themselves?

If your answers are "none" and "yes", that's a very tenable position. In that case, please do feel free to stay out of this thread; you wouldn't be interested in its topic anyway.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:59 am
spendius wrote:
Is this thread just an excuse for repeating anti-war propaganda with the least possible effort.

No. Please post again using more brain cells.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
I would guess George Will.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
paull wrote:
I had no clue, so I cheated. Very interesting Thomas!
I won't spoil the contest.

I don't think any "pundit" can go long without contradiction. I am ever so glad that my takes aren't on paper or disk (other than the few here).

Hi paull! And thanks for not spoiling the contest.

I agree some pundits change their minds, and no pundit can be right all the time. But some of them are right more often, more consistently than others. It's very instructive to read old texts by current pundits.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:12 am
Well-

if it's a guessing game shouldn't it be on Trivia?

Anti-war propaganda was repeated. Miles Copeland always asked-"Who gained?" To answer him here then anti-war propagandists gained and to blusteringly suggest that that is not the reason for the game is to exhibit a total absence of brain cells or, to be more accurate, any that serve a useful purpose. It rather underestimates Thomas too.

Thomas- accept my congratulations for a splendid World Cup and for the welcome the German people have extended to our fans. Most of us are now rooting for your lads.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:36 am
My first thought was George Will, like Cyclops guessed .... but I think I'm going to go with William F. Buckley. (Although the prose seems much too common for his usual essays.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:19 pm
I'll guess it's Thomas Sowell -- not because I recognize his style of writing, but because Foxfyre has cited him on more than a few occasions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:28 pm
Thomas Sowell is right! The excerpt, with "Clinton" replaced by "Bush", is from his 1998 column: A Do-Something War?. Note that I did not change the theater of operations. Sowell was talking about the (much smaller) war in Iraq that Clinton faught at the time.

Okay, at this point I guess I'll borrow a page from Walter's Where Am I -- Travelgame thread. Joe, since you guessed the last author, you get to name the next piece of punditry for us to guess.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:27 pm
BBB
bm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 05:31 pm
Oh, oh, oh! I cant make this one count as a proper entry, because it's just the part of the one line ... but its too funny not to mention it ...

Which political columnist who is still prolific today wrote, on 9 November 1989, the very day the Berlin Wall fell:

"Liberalization is a ploy . . . the Wall will remain." Question
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 05:35 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh, oh, oh! I cant make this one count as a proper entry, because it's just the part of the one line ... but its too funny not to mention it ...
Which political columnist who is still prolific today wrote, on 9 November 1989, the very day the Berlin Wall fell:
"Liberalization is a ploy . . . the Wall will remain." Question

It sounds like something George Will would say.

BBB
0 Replies