First Graders Drinking Coffee

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:09 am
My daughter told me about another kid in her first grade class that she said drinks coffee in class. I didn't believe her of course - I mean what kid drinks coffee and what parent and teacher would allow it?

Well my little girl was right. This kid's mom was talking to me and told me she gives her kid coffee in the morning (yes with caffeine) and then he has another during the day at school. It appears that this child has ADD and she says it helps the ADD. I suppose it may be better than giving drugs, but has anyone heard of this? Does caffeine/coffee help calm some one with ADD?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:12 am
I kind of wonder why coffee is considered such an "adult" drink.

I'd think Coke or Mountain Dew would be worse, since it's caffeine plus loaded with simple sugars. So what's the difference?

If I had a kid, I'd be pretty strict on diet, so it doesn't end up a fat ass like most other people in this country.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
Re: First Graders Drinking Coffee
Linkat wrote:
My daughter told me about another kid in her first grade class that she said drinks coffee in class. I didn't believe her of course - I mean what kid drinks coffee and what parent and teacher would allow it?

Well my little girl was right. This kid's mom was talking to me and told me she gives her kid coffee in the morning (yes with caffeine) and then he has another during the day at school. It appears that this child has ADD and she says it helps the ADD. I suppose it may be better than giving drugs, but has anyone heard of this? Does caffeine/coffee help calm some one with ADD?

Yes, it is not at all uncommon to give kids with certain behavioral deficits coffee. It is better than Ritalin (from my experince).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
That's an interesting point, Slappy. A little coffee has even been shown to be good for you.

Ritalin is speed and that's what they use to calm down ADD kids so I can see how coffee might have a similar effect.

My parents let us drink coffee when we were little -- it was really more like coffee flavored milk though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
Well, my kids also do not drink any soda or other drinks with caffeine. And in very limited quantities non-caffeine soda.

Ironically this particular child is a bit on the chubby side. I also simply find it strange that he would like the taste of coffee even if you add sugar.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
Yeah, my first thought was....well, kids drink soda's don't they?

Personally, I don't have a problem with that, in small amounts.

It's not like having a constant mug on hand all day.

I had a little coffee after dinner with some milk and sugar every night when I was that age. A pot would be brewed during dinner, and all of us would have some at the end of the meal. I guess it was like Italian/French children having a little wine.

It never made me a coffee/caffeine addict. In fact, today I have one cup in the morning, black, no sugar, and that's it. Maybe a caffienated soda during the day a few times a week.

I think I remember reading it helps kids with ADD.

I'll bet a lot of people grew up having a little coffee on a regular basis.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:23 am
I agree dyslexia. I would rather see a child having coffee than Ritalin and if it helps him great. I just never heard of this before. And I am not criticizing the parents at all - just wondering about it.

He is actually a very polite child. He also says hello Mrs. Linkat. How are you Mrs. Linkat. You can tell though that he is hyper.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:24 am
I think coffee and ADD drugs do pretty much the same thing. I don't think it's that big of a deal if it has a clear purpose. I'd trust the parent's judgment.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:27 am
Sorry freeduck I wasn't judging the parents at all. I was just curious if anyone had heard about this as a treatment for ADD as I never heard about it before. Actually if it truly did work I would suggest it over any sort of prescription drug. I always thought that drugging a child seemed harsh.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:32 am
I didn't mean to suggest you were, Linkat. Sorry.

Yeah, I agree. Caffeine is certainly a drug, but it seems like one that we are better able handle ourselves, costs less than prescription drugs, and probably doesn't have very severe long term effects. And coffee has been shown to be good for us. So yeah, I agree with what you said.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:39 am
Hello Mrs. Linkat. My that's a lovely dress your wearing today.

http://www.litb.com/eddiesmal.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:41 am
Do you know Chai - I was thinking along the same lines after I wrote it.

Maybe he is just a clever little boy and not so sweet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:43 am
Linkat wrote:
Do you know Chai - I was thinking along the same lines after I wrote it.

Maybe he is just a clever little boy and not so sweet.

it's all the coffee...makes 'em evil.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:46 am
That sure looks like an eager beaver, Chai. Isn't that an official Nambla poster?

I'd guess coffee isn't too popular among the youngsters because of it's bitter taste, too. Aren't kid's taste buds more sensitive to stuff like that?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:50 am
Two of my stepsons were AID.

In the late 70's one of the "tests" for identifying AID kids was to give them a cup of coffee and then set them to a task which required concentration.

Like "speed" caffine helps the brain focus.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:52 am
Then why does everyone give these kids ritalin?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:09 pm
Because coffee doesn't have a drug company lobbyist.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Because coffee doesn't have a drug company lobbyist.

Very true but I would add that somehow teachers in the lower grades have latched on to the idea that all "behavior problems" can be "cured" with the fabulous drug "ritalin" and often intimidate parents into seeking a prescription for ritalin from the Dr. As often as now (in my experience) the "behavior problems" were just bored students.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
These kids should be checked for food allergies, too. My niece was thought to have ADHD, until they discovered she's allergic to corn.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:43 pm
How in the world does that poor kid eat? Doesn't just about every food now have corn in it?
0 Replies