The Irony Of Music History

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm
The irony of Paul McCartney reaching 64 in the context of his song 'When I'm 64' has inspired me to ask this question.

Name an example of musical irony caused by the artist not following Elvis Presley's career move of dying [relatively] young.

Here's a start - is there anything more ironic than Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey from The Who still dragging their bones around the stage to bash out 'My Generation' with the line "HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,639 • Replies: 11
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:42 pm
can't top My Generation for age related irony, but perhaps Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" qualifies?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:41 pm
Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Not so much for the lyrics, but for the fact that Lennon was killed with a gun.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:12 am
Oooh - good one!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 07:29 am
Ohhhh! Interesting thread!

How about Joey Ramone singing "And I feel like I'm gonna die I don't feel so good inside" way back in the 80s.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:03 am
How about Kurt Cobain writing

"And I swear that I don't have a gun. No I don't have a gun."
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:20 pm
I Got You Babe - Sonny & Cher

But in their defense, the song is pretty vague, not a lot of the usual phrases..."forever" "always"..."until the sun falls from the sky" "until the second coming of Christ" etc....
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:58 pm
Macho Man - Village People

...even though it was tongue-in-cheek to begin with...still pretty ironic.
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 03:07 am
Jon Entwistle's 3rd solo album 'Rigor Mortis Sets In' originally released in 1973, was re-released three weeks after his death in 2002.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 06:32 am
How about Janis Joplin's giggling "That's it!" at the end of "Mercedes-Benz" on her album "Pearl", released pothumously?
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:35 am
I once thought The Crystals 'He Hit Me (and it felt like a kiss)' was the most politically incorrect song of all time. But now that the song's writer Phil Spector is in court for killing a women maybe it was just an indicator of misogyny?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 03:56 am
Was just listening to the old Mi-Sex track 21-20, recorded in 1979, the chorus is 'Where will I be in the 21st century, where have I been in the 20th century'

Lead singer Steve Gilpin died in 1992 after a car crash in northern NSW. He was buried on his property.

So that answers that question.
0 Replies