Pass Me The Salt!

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 02:01 pm
I went to the doctor this afternoon because I've been feeling very fatigued and run down lately. I usually avoid caffeine, but sometimes at work, I feel so overcome with fatigue, I have a cup of (regular) coffee. It helps to take the edge off my tiredness.

I've had some other symptoms too. Sometimes around noon, I feel dizzy, lightheaded, like I could pass out. My vision gets blurry too. But after I have lunch, I feel fine.

Until about 3:00 pm. Then the symptoms come back again.

I've started eating several small meals throughout the day. Museli for breakfast; a midmorning snack (usually fruit); a small lunch (salad); an afternoon snack (fruit or nuts); and a small dinner (a piece of poultry, lean meat or fish with veggies).

It's helped, I don't have the dizziness and blurred vision as much. But I can't seem to shake off this fatigue. I also feel "foggy" sometimes, and have trouble concentrating.

My doctor took some blood, and he's going to have my blood count checked as well as my thyroid. But he also took my blood pressure and found out it's pretty low.

My blood pressure is something like 90/60. Really!

My doctor said, "Stray Cat, I don't often tell people this, but you need to get more salt in your diet to bring up your blood pressure." He said low blood pressure could cause fatigue as well as the other symptoms I've been having.

I usually try to avoid salt because of all the bad things you hear about it. Whenever I have it, I usually just use the "lite" salt. But I guess my doc wants me to use the regular kind.

Now…..how can I incorporate more salt in my diet in a healthy way? I mean, I can't just eat potato chips and baked potatoes everyday, unless I want to gain about fitee pounds!

How about Sea Salt? Is that healthier than regular salt?

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,817 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 05:57 pm
soy sauce is pretty dang salty.
dunno if its any healthier than salt, though...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:14 pm
I would just salt my regular food. If you cook your own meals a lot, use sea salt for flavor while cooking. If you eat out, just add a few dashes to your dish. Pickles contain salt. Just look for some good salty foods whenever you can.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:25 pm
My take on salt: I reckon our bodies needs some salt, the same as they need some oil to function properly. The problem is that some folk eliminate these things altogether, following "health" warnings in the media. I now buy & use salt containing iodine, after the medical profession alerted the Oz public to a recurrence of medical conditions that we hadn't seen here for years. Probably because it had become "unfashionable" to use iodised salt. Anyway, my theory is that a little bit of everything (within reason!) is most likely not harmful & may actually be beneficial. It's when we consume too much of, say, sugar, salt, oil, fried foods, starchy foods, etc. that things become problematic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:47 pm
I really really question the value of "sea salt" salt is salt and the fact that "sea salt' is less pure doesn't really tell me anything about its value over ordinary mined salt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:50 pm
The major difference in sea salt and the other kind, sea salt has no aluminum in it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The major difference in sea salt and the other kind, sea salt has no aluminum in it.

I thought aluminum builds strong bodies 12 ways, the lady Diane Tells me I need Holistic Natural Salt or I will beomce strange. She may be right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:05 pm
Aruminum is supposedly a key ingredient to alzheimer's, according to some.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I thought aluminum builds strong bodies 12 ways, the lady Diane Tells me I need Holistic Natural Salt or I will beomce strange. She may be right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't know what Holistic Natural Salt is.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:37 pm
I think eating Saltines is a nice way to add salt to my diet. try some today for the first time. Low fat as well. I used to eat them alot when I was a teenager too.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 09:21 pm
Ohh! I forgot about saltines! That's a good idea, Algis! I also thought of corn on the cob, I like salt on that!

Then there are the nuts I have for a snack. I've been getting the unsalted kind, I could always get salted peanuts or cashews.

I think if I even bring my blood pressure up a little bit it will help. Don't want to get it up there too high!

I'll be curious to hear the results of my blood work too. I'm still wondering if I could have some sort of thyroid problem.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:33 am
Iodized salt - your thyroid may need the iodine to function properly - so adding iodized salt (not sea salt) to your foods will help with your low blood pressure, and may improve your thyroid function.

Quote:
Iodine
Iodine plays an important role in the function of the thyroid gland. It is the chief component of thyroid hormones, and is essential for their production. Iodine is obtained from the water we drink and the food we eat. In areas of the world where there is an iodine deficiency, iodine must be added to the salt or bread. The Great Lakes area of Canada and the U.S., the Swiss Alps and Tasmania are such areas. In Canada and the U.S., most of the salt is iodized, thus the iodine intake is more than adequate.

http://www.thyroid.ca/Guides/HG01.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:36 am
Quote:
A Word of Caution

All soy products contain goitrogens, natural chemicals that interfere with your thyroid hormones. Seniors and women - prime targets for hypothyroidism - should be especially careful about eating soy on a daily basis.

Peaches, almonds, peanuts and cruciferous vegetables like turnips, rutabagas, and cabbage also contain small amounts of goitrogens. As long as these foods are part of a well-rounded diet, you shouldn't experience problems. Remember, moderation is the key. Cooking also helps by breaking down these potentially harmful compounds.

Nutritional Blockbusters that Fight Thyroid Disease

Iodine

Without this trace mineral, your thyroids cannot make its hormones. Disturbing new data suggest iodine deficiency is on the rise - and not just in countries like Africa and Asia. It's becoming more common in developed nations, too.

The public's love-hate relationship with salt is a major reason for this. Most Western countries add iodine to their salt to prevent just such a deficiency. But more and more people are cutting back on salt for health reasons. Reducing salt intake is still a great idea. Just make sure you use iodized salt when you do sprinkle it on.

If you're on a no-salt diet, try getting your iodine from whole foods. High-powered iodine sources include seafood, sea vegetables, low-fat dairy foods, and spinach. Still, remember to practice moderation with these foods, especially if you're also using salt.

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/health/thyroiddisease.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 06:11 am
Has anyone noticed Dys is acting strange lately?

Stray Cat - Mr. Salty Pretzels....the name says it all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 06:46 am
sea salt, like the other kind, comes iodized or non.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 06:50 am
Quite truthfully, all the bugs are not worked out in the supply system, and we may sell out of this salt very quickly because of all its incredible benefits - that's why, if you are interested I encourage you to place your order as soon as possible! If we do sell out this supply early, if our past experience is any predictor of the future it may be 6 moths to a year before we are able to have more to sell to you. I have never in my life seen a product that has been challenging to obtain.

This salt from the Himalayas is known as "white gold" because it contains eons of stored sunlight. Together with pure spring water, Himalayan Crystal Salt offers all the natural elements exactly identical to the elements in your body - the very same elements originally found existing in the "primal sea."

Containing all of the 84 elements found in your body, the benefits of natural Himalayan Crystal Salt include:

Regulating the water content throughout your body.

Balancing excess acidity from your cells, particularly your brain cells.

When you use pure Himalayan Crystal Salt, you receive 250,000,000 years of accumulated sunlight and energy, plus all the natural minerals your body needs for restoring balance and life force.

See How to Use Himalayan
Salt At-a-Glance

Learn About the Health Benefits
of Himalayan Bath Salt

Himalayan Table Salt
Himalayan Bath Salt

Balancing your blood sugar levels and helping to reduce your aging rate.

Assisting in the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in your body.

Absorption of food particles through your intestinal tract.

Help in clearing mucus plugs and phlegm from your lungs - particularly useful in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

Acts as a strong natural antihistamine and helps clear up congestion in your sinuses

Prevention of muscle cramps.

Making the structure of your bones firm - osteoporosis can occur when your body needs more salt and takes it from your bones.

Regulating your sleep - it is a natural hypnotic.

Maintaining your libido.

Preventing varicose veins and spider veins on your legs and thighs.

Stabilizing irregular heartbeats - in conjunction with water it is actually essential for the regulation of your blood pressure.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:52 am
Sun Salt
Quote:
All the products are produced naturally from the underground brines in the Murray Darling Basin!

The salt produced contains the naturally occurring minerals as well as other elements from the brine resulting in a different taste.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 04:49 pm
Wow, thanks for all these interesting responses, everybody! That Himalyian Salt sounds pretty interesting too.

Today, I stopped off at my local food market and just got some regular iodized salt. Next time, I'm going to look for iodized sea salt.

ehbeth, I didn't realize soy could be a problem. I do have soy products once in a while, but I guess as long as I don't overdo it, it won't hurt.

I knew spinach was good for the thyroid, but I didn't know almonds and peanuts could be a problem. I guess it's like the soy -- ok, as long as you don't overdo it. The article you posted didn't mention cashews, so I assume their ok?

It's funny, sometimes you could be eating things you think are healthy without realizing you might be causing a problem! Confused
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 05:12 pm
You could always take salt tablets!

I don't use table salt but I use a lot of tabasco sauce and it has salt.

I have kind of low blood pressure - I can never remember what it is or what it is supposed to be - but my doctor always says "Yeah you!" so I don't worry about it.

I like salt on green apples and on watermelon (much better than Tabasco in those cases). That might be a good way to injest some salt without adding junky crap to your diet.

When I get salt cravings nothing beats it as well as Chex Mix - not the store bought kind but the made at home kind.
0 Replies