cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:28 am
Yep.... Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 08:29 pm
I guess Chicago's out of the question.

cjhsa wrote:
Chicago. Daley. Meigs (property seizure). Nazi gun laws. No castle doctrine. Government by the government, for the government.

What's Nazi about Chicago? You might look at history.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2198137#2198137
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 10:04 pm
I love Chicago. Its politics are a national shame.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 01:59 pm
Ya pick a new job yet? Staying put? Moving? Things getting better?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:21 pm
I found work outside of Detroit. Decent job - better pay, but a hell of a commute, at least for now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:26 pm
Are you doing a daily commute, or weekly (lots of that happening in my circle lately)?

Not sure which is preferable, but I'd be interested in your thinking on that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:29 pm
Weekly, staying with family. But they are a busy family and I won't be able to inconvenience them for long.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:09 am
Well, it is now almost Christmas and I'm still commuting. We looked for housing down here and my wife basically said "Detroit is not for me". I don't really like it either. It's busy and the roads were never designed or upgraded to manage the traffic load of today. Northern California commuting is a cakewalk compared to here.

Anyay, I wasn't looking for another job, but one found me, on the other side of the state. Similar money, large employer, 20 mile commute. How could I turn that down? So, I'm changing jobs, again.

A couple things I've noticed about Detroit. People drive really, really fast here. I do too, but not like these fools. They talk fast, they eat fast, they do everything way too fast. Slow down folks. The also seem to have lots of personal problems, family counseling, troubled kids, dead beat or just plain missing fathers, dishonest contractors, and really poor taste. I swear some of the women in the office must shop at Goodwill. For their underwear.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:11 am
Is 20 miles a lot less than your current commute? Must be.

I commuted about 30 miles each way daily in L.A., wasn't pleasant but really wasn't so bad. If I timed it right (EARLY, mostly), it would only take about half an hour. (Lived pretty close to the freeway and my office was near the freeway, and 65 mph on the way...)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:15 am
sozobe wrote:

I commuted about 30 miles each way daily in L.A., wasn't pleasant but really wasn't so bad. If I timed it right (EARLY, mostly), it would only take about half an hour. (Lived pretty close to the freeway and my office was near the freeway, and 65 mph on the way...)

My current commute is 160 miles one way.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:15 am
sozobe wrote:

My current commute is 160 miles one way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:17 am
That's about what I thought. Congratulations, then!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:21 am
Thank you! I appreciate it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:23 am
Yes, congratulations from here too. Wonderful that you can stay where you are settled.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:26 am
I hope it works out. Leaving my current employer has generated some mixed emotions. They were the ones who laid me off just over a year ago that started this whole mess. I was happy to get back in with them because I got my seniority back, but it wasn't worth it to have to move to Detroit.
0 Replies