The Mess I'm In

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
I relocated my family from California to west Michigan in order to take a new job at a new company working in an old industry.

The company was recently sold to another firm out of Detroit.

They want us all to move to Detroit.

I would never have moved to Detroit, wouldn't even have looked for a job there.

Now I'm stuck as there aren't many jobs for people like me around here.

I don't want to move my family to the Detroit area, no matter how nice parts of it may be.

I might be looking at extended unemployment if I don't accept whatever position they offer me, if any.

I've put my resume out there a little, with no responses.

Really at a loss for what to do here. I'm almost hoping they don't want me and give me a severance package so I can enjoy my summer while persuing other work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,875 • Replies: 54
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
Also, I'm sure many of you have noticed my even surlier than usual mood.

Now you know why.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:01 am
That sucks. Of all places, Detroit?

Well, at least you could buy a mansion out there for what it costs to live in CA. I'm sure there's some nice affluent suburbs outside the city if you were to move.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:01 am
Sorry, that is a bummer...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:07 am
I can't recall what work you're in so forgive me my ignorance. Are there opportunities elsewhere? If you can't stay where you are, and you don't want to move to Detroit, it would seem logical to consider moving elsewhere. Perhaps back to California, if that's viable, since you have roots there and presumably some sort of a network.

Another thing you can do is find out - again, assuming it's at all possible - if you can telecommute. Perhaps you can swing something where you com in one day a week in order to attend meetings, but spend most of your working hours at home. I have no idea what the drive would be like, perhaps you'd have to stay overnight in a hotel once a week, but that might be an option, if the company really wants to keep you. Companies that are moving are sometimes desperate to hold onto known quantity talent so they might be willing to swing it with you. It can't hurt to ask, but I'd wait until they try to offer you something, if they do. If they just offer severance, then of course you wouldn't bring this up.

Also - and I know you don't want to hear this - but summer is the best time to move if you've got kids in school, which I believe you do. You may want to hang around but you might not be able to. Plus, with not working, you'd be in a prime position to really spend time looking at houses. Not a fun prospect but it seems that that might have to happen no matter what, so you might as well exert as much control over the process as possible. Yes, I mean looking for work and for a house at the same time. A lot of both can be done online, at least the background legwork, and it will make sense to look for work in places where you want to live, and look for houses in places where it seems more likely for you to be able to find work. I realize it's more work than you might be willing to do right now, but it will pay off.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:38 am
I'm wondering if I have any legal recourse as well. After all, I didn't move here to move again. I left a job rich area to go to a job barren one, figuring the job was good for at least five years, plus we love west Michigan.

I know there are no guarantees in anything anymore.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:48 am
Hey isn't that the home of the Motor City Madman? It can't be that bad, right?

I'm just trying to find a silver lining.

Sorry to hear your news. Maybe it is time to flood the market with resumes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:52 am
He left - moved to Texas.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:03 am
Cj, I'm not sure of what you do either, but you said that you've put your resume out there...just how far did you put it out there?

You moved from California to Michagan...do you have to stay in Michagan....or really want to head back to California?

Try another state.

( I really wish I knew what it was you did for a living? lol) I might know something that would be of help..haha, that would be a first!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:09 am
Check my profile.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:25 am
Monster has 20 Sys Admin jobs in Grand Rapids. http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?q=systems+administrator&fn=&lid=472&re=104&cy=us

Since your profile just says Western Michigan, I don't know if this is close or not. Try www.monster.com and www.dice.com . And vary your searches, don't just look under systems administrator, do the search under the word systems only as companies might have slightly different titles in their listings. Also, try targeting local companies - every single one of them - as they have their own online listings and most places have a need for an IT generalist.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:28 am
Thanks Jespah.

I haven't really searched much yet. Kinda waiting to feel things out here. They are going to pay bonuses at the end of July instead of waiting until the end of the year, so I'm not gonna miss out on that.

Maybe I'll work on Monster this weekend.

cj
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
I know a lot of people who have found jobs off of craigslist.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/mi
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
Just hang in there, cjhsa. Don't go postal on us just yet. You may find that opportunity is knocking, ever so quietly.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:33 am
Computerjobs.com is a good one, too. That's where I found my current job in Atlanta. They have a lot of contract work, but also many permanent jobs.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:19 pm
Quote:
Monster has 20 Sys Admin jobs in Grand Rapids.

Yep,...lol, Jespah beat me to it. Monster is a pretty good place, once you cut through some of the BS that you'll find. Monster is loaded with alot of head hunters...

Quote:
I haven't really searched much yet. Kinda waiting to feel things out here. They are going to pay bonuses at the end of July instead of waiting until the end of the year, so I'm not gonna miss out on that

I'd post it anyway. What do you have to loose? Something alot better might come along while your in the wings waiting.

Besides, it'll give you a feel for whats out there.

Quote:
Computerjobs.com is a good one, too.

I'm going to have to go and look at that one.

Here is another link: http://www.aerotek.com/About-Us/About-Allegis-Group.aspx
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:27 pm
The practical stuff I had come up with has already been posted, so will just add sympathy.

Well, one more thing -- how certain are you that there is NOWHERE in Detroit that would be OK? I don't know the area well at all, so I accept that it's a possibility, but I ask because I was NOT enthused about the idea of moving to Columbus, Ohio when it first came up -- my extreme lack of enthusiasm was documented here, in fact -- but 2 years after moving here, I genuinely love it. Found a great neighborhood, couldn't be happier.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
I think he's askeerd of alla them colored folks in Dee-troit.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:46 pm
Quote:
I think he's askeerd of alla them colored folks in Dee-troit.

I don't think that has anything to do with it Snood...the color of folks skin is irrelavant to this discussion, unless you are just trying to pick a fight?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:57 pm
Detroit is not a nice city. Much of the surrounding areas are quite nice - if you can afford it.

I've been trying to move to west Michigan for years because it affords me easy access to my vacation/rental properties. Detroit does not. I-75 is a nightmare on weekends, I-96 isn't much better down there.

Grand Rapids is actually too conservative for me as I'm not religious, but I do like the general location.
0 Replies