The Mess I'm In

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:27 pm
They want you to move to Detroit or the surrounding areas? I mean, come on....Troy, Rochester Hills, Birmingham, Sterling Heights, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Madison Heights...all nice places and 15-20 minutes from Downtown. Auburn Hills is only 30-35 minutes from downtown.

I live around here and I am not rich. Birmingham is pricy, yes. But you can find places in nice areas.

I do get ya on how the feel of one place is just "right". I was a west sider for a long time and now I am an east sider and I love it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:29 pm
Remember I also would have to relocate my family again - into new schools, after just getting them somewhat settled here.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:36 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Remember I also would have to relocate my family again - into new schools, after just getting them somewhat settled here.

Which sucks.

I understand not wanting to move.

But it really isn't all bad over here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:36 pm
I completely understand about relocating -- I hate it, passionately, especially in terms of uprooting my kid.

What options do you have there, though? It sounds very likely that moving is in the cards no matter what, as much as that sucks. That is, it sounds like your options are either to move to Detroit to keep the job you have, or find a new one. It would be fantastic if the new one were in your area, and obviously it is something to aggressively pursue, but it also sounds like it's probably not that likely.

At any rate, this does sound awful, sorry you have to go through it. I just re-read my Columbus thread (fun to see my attitude change, and to mention for the first time places I now know well), reminded me that despite extreme suckiness this kind of thing can turn out well.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
I was just makin a mean joke - Me and cj go w-aa-aaay back!!

Naw man - hope everything works out for ya...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:50 pm
Joining the sympathy bandwagon.

I know it's hard to see past, "This sucks", but give it some time and some thought and it will work out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:39 am
An update. I did my second interview with my former employer, but this job is in Rochester Hills. With some exceptions thier job listing looked like they posted a copy of my resume. I didn't nail the second interview as well as I did the first, but I did pretty good, I think, and hope to get invited to come down and visit.

Of course, I'd rather stay in west Michigan, but if the money is right, and especially if they will give me back my seniority, it is probably the thing to do.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 08:20 am
Hey, that sounds promising. I still don't know anything about the area but I see that Bella (who does) listed Rochester Hills as one of the nice places to live. Good luck!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:35 pm
It's a nice place....a little expensive maybe but I think that the west side of the state is generally more expensive than the east side so I don't know that cj will notice as much.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 05:53 pm
well?

how's it working out?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:55 pm
If you're still looking, have you check Chicagoland? It's still close enough to MI to get to your summer place and the locals are cool Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:55 pm
Not.

I go down that way tomorrow for an interview with a former employer.

The purchaser of my company has indicated there will be no salary adjustments associated with relocating - to a place that is much more expensive to live.

I figure I can get 10-15K more by taking another (new) job, if I have to move that way. I want to stick it in their face.

Sorry, but as I said before, didn't move to Michigan to live near Detroit.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:57 pm
wow, we must'a posted at the same second. Have you looked around Chicago?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:03 pm
Actually I have, but not recently.

Always liked Chicago, as a kid my Dad used to fly us into Meigs and we'd stay for a day or two, shop, eat, enjoy the city. What has occurred in the last twenty or so years west of Michigan Ave. is truly remarkable (River North). Also east along the waterfront.

I might like Chicago more if I were mayor. Meigs would still be there. Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:10 pm
Chicago is way cool. You should give it some consideration.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:12 am
cj, I noticed you said something about 'between jobs' on another thread. Are you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:16 pm
Yesterday I got two job offers. Count 'em. Two.

I'm not between jobs, it just feels like it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:20 pm
Are you interested in either/both?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:23 pm
They both have their merits.

One is substantially higher in salary. The other is essentially a demotion for the same money I make now.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:32 pm
Would you have to move again?
0 Replies