I Hate Fat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:44 am
...So I joined a gym. I was mildly (ok, extremely) horrified when my consultation with the trainer came around.

Because of my illness, my overall body composition is near the bottom of the health barrel. I am not extremely overweight (I can lose a few pounds) but again, because of my illness, the computer placed me in the "close to obese" section of the health line (muscle mass versus fat, blah blah blah). *sigh* As well, my virtual age (the age my body is) versus my real age is 36. That's 8 years older than I really am. Which isn't old but when I am 70, my body will probably be close to dead, considering poor health is cumulative. I have little muscle mass (due to my illness) so cardiovascular-ly speaking (Ha! is that a word?) I am barely hanging on. I was put on an exercise program of simply walking, 4 to 5 times a week.

We'll, I've successfully gone 3 times a week. I lost a pound the first week, a pound the second week and yesterday I weighted myself (I only weigh in at the gym) I GAINED A POUND. ARG!!!!!!!!!!!

How FRUSTRATING is it to work your ass off, sweat like a pig, avoid all the chocolatly goodness you love to find out, you've GAINED a pound?!?!

Granted, I haven't completely switched over my diet yet. I am making small adjustments here and there in order to make the changes permanent. One big change won't stick.

Anyway, my gripe is that I hate fat but it loves me. It's sticking to me like glue. When I started this whole thing, I was pretty sure of the fact that once I started moving again, the weight would just melt off. HA! The only thing that is melting here is the uneaten candy bar in my kitchen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,672 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:54 am
I think that pound you gained was probably muscle Bella.

I think you're on the right track.

If I was to tell anyone how much I weigh, they wouldn't believe it....I have a large amount of muscle in my legs and butt, however there is fat over that, (well, my butt, not my legs).

OK, this sounds funny and weird and all that....but if you were to grab one of my gluts when I'm relaxed, and then I flexed the muscle, you'd be astounded.

No comments from the peanut gallery, but I could crush a coconut between my butt cheeks.

It's only that threat that makes my husband leave that part alone.

Serious Bella....I think you're developing muscle.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:00 am
I was gona say muscle too.

Dont be disheartened, once you get into a routine you will see changes.

Ive made a pledge with my mum for us to help each other lose weight.First time ive ever properly tried.Its gona be a toughy.I can here the ring doughnut in my fridge calling me.

Good luck, dont give up.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:03 am
The thought had crossed my mind but....its so depressing to see that scale go back up!

I was feeling like I'd lost that weight but now, not so much.

This whole thing is frustrating.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:20 am
Be strong, itl be worth it in the end,just picture yourself posing in a bikini and how good youl feel, youl look good and you will have that amazing sense of self achievement.

I am overweight but I have no idea how much I weigh, I have access to 3 sets of scales and they all say differnt things, about a stones difference.
I have no idea if I ever lose weight.

Chin up!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:25 am
This is a familiar frustration. I joined a the Y back in February and have been working out 3 times a week. I haven't lost a single pound and I'm starting to get bored with the workout. I realize that a lot of it is muscle, but I actually want to get smaller.

So today I've started a no caffeine no sugar diet to go with the workout. If I don't see any results, I don't know what I'll do.

So you don't get the wrong idea, it's still good to exercise. Even though I haven't lost any weight, I have more energy (which has to count for something) and my clothes fit better. Have you tried yoga?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:59 am
No, no yoga...and like you, I want to be smaller. And more fit. But still, smaller.

I am not bored with my workout yet, but sure I will be.

After the first 6 weeks, I can incorporate some weight training, provided I've built some muscle. There was no point in weight training when I didn't have much to work with.

So.....maybe then I'll see results?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:39 am
I'm right there with you guys. I'm starting my fifth week of serious working out -- like, keeping my heartbeat at about 160 bpm for an hour at a time, 3 or 4 days a week (plus all the miscellaneous running-after-a-kid stuff I do). I feel more fit, I feel more firm, I think I see things happening, but it's going so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwly.

I recently read something about the importance of walking, about how if you walk 20 minutes a day, X times a week (4 I think), you can lose 10 pounds in 1 year. 10 over a whole year?! Whoop-de-doo!

It reminded me that this stuff is supposed to go slowly, though. It can be way frustrating but it does happen. It took me about a year last time I started working out seriously to get to a point where I said, "NOW we're talkin'," but I was happy to be at that point. It was worth it.

(I am trying to stay away from the damned scale after it betrayed me last time I checked... I really think I must have lost weight since then but that's what I thought when I last checked, too, and that was NOT the case, so I'm trying to wait until the end of this 10-week regimen before letting myself look again.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:48 am
At least mine is only 6 weeks before I can see my progress. That's when I retest and get all my fat pinched and what not. If my insides are healthier, I will be happy. But I want my outside to be less of...just less. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:51 am
Maybe I should get a personal trainer so I can get pinched and have inside progress tracked. I'm sure it's happening, would be nice to KNOW. (My 10-week thing is purely self-imposed.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:54 am
It isn't technically a personal trainer...I'd love to afford one because then I would be sure to lose the weight. I mean, they make you practically kill yourself. And I'd be working out 4-5 times a week.

But anyway, with my gym membership, every 6 weeks our trainer ( my hubby and mine) re does all our tests to see how far we've come from the last time we tested. It's a nice perk.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:02 am
I have to get on stage tomorrow night with nothing but panties and pasties on (it's a theatre play, not a striptease...haven't gotten that far just yet). Well, and fishnets and high heels. I agreed to that, but I'm terrified. I worked out a ton in the past few weeks, and definitely shaped up somewhat - muscle does miracles even if the blubber hangs on like a leach. I don't go by scale. I actually almost always gain some weight when I start working out after some time. I go by clothes. My trusty gray pants. When they're loose, I know i'm doing well. They are now, but I'm still terrified.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:05 am
Eeeekkk! I wouldn't be caught dead in panties and pasties right now...In fact, I think i will request that my autopsy be done fully clothed.

Good luck on your performance tomorrow! I am sure you look fabulous!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:50 am
I'm with dagmaraka. I don't go on a scale. I don't even own one. I can tell how fit I am by how I feel. Right now I am feeling better as many of you - I have been working out more regularly (tough with a full time job and two kids at home), but I try to squeeze in 45 minutes a few times a week. I just do higher intensity as I have limited time. I also focus on my problem areas - butt and thighs
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:53 am
Bella--

Mechanical Reality can be terribly degrading.

How are your clothes fitting? Do you feel you have more energy? More patience?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
I feel thinner by my clothes don't fit differently.

It looks mostly like...well, less jiggly around the midsection, which is where my problem area is...waist is the worst, followed closely by butt and thighs.

I only weigh myself at the gym because I don't want to become obsessive about it, but i still want to know where I am.

It just sucks.
I had no idea what a trial it was to lose weight. I've always been naturally thin.

Here is my life lesson of patience and compassion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
Quote:
Here is my life lesson of patience and compassion.

Would that Character Building Experiences were always glamorous and romantic--and you can't be glamorous and romantic when you sweat.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
Quote:
If I was to tell anyone how much I weigh, they wouldn't believe it....I have a large amount of muscle in my legs and butt, however there is fat over that, (well, my butt, not my legs).

OK, this sounds funny and weird and all that....but if you were to grab one of my gluts when I'm relaxed, and then I flexed the muscle, you'd be astounded.

No comments from the peanut gallery, but I could crush a coconut between my butt cheeks.

It's only that threat that makes my husband leave that part alone.

Chai..I swear that we are long lost seperated twins....with that description!

I got muscle mass in my ass and thighs/legs, I even have muscles that poke out on my feet, my fat is centered around my stomach, hips...I hate it.

Bella Hang in there, be patient...your accomplishing more than you think!

Quote:
I feel thinner by my clothes don't fit differently.

I found that sometimes its the food we eat that make us feel differently, along with some exercise.

Some foods bloat ya, some don't. I suffer from bloatedness......yaa..yaa, thats what all that fat is up there around my mid-section, is bloat!

Quote:
It just sucks.
I had no idea what a trial it was to lose weight. I've always been naturally thin.

Just hang in there...your doing wonderful!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:06 pm
MMS--

Stress and the perception that extra energy may be needed at any time causes fat to be accumulated right around the liver, handy for the liver secretions to convert to energy.

Maybe you have bloat, maybe you have stress.

You're a complicate woman. Perhaps you have both bloat and stress.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:34 pm
If you don't mind a guy butting in here with his 2 cents worth...

Walking is the best thing starting out.
* Keep a consistent pace.
* You should feel like your working hard, but still able to carry on a conversation.
* Swing your arms.
* Lengthen your stride.
* Make a schedule and keep to it.
* Log your distance and time (gives you sense of accomplishment!).

As you get stronger, graduate to jogging.

...and speaking of butting in, I'd like to thank Chai tea for that image...
0 Replies