I Hate Fat

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:14 am
Clothing designers hate women, especially chubby ones.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:18 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and the other thing is I've been STARVING lately. Seriously hungry all the time.

My stomach actually rumbles. It isn't just in my head.

How can I lose weight when I am eating my weight in food?

Was that directed at me? I didn't say "it's all in your head." I said medication can f*ck with your brain.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:19 am
Wobbly bits... I'm gonna start using that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
Triceps?

I read a memoir (didn't "memoirs" used to be "autobiographies"?) several years ago by a college professor, married with children, who opted for a sex change operation.

Before the surgery he had intensive hormone treatment--all the juices of Eve--which resulted in less facial hair, mood swings and floppy triceps.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:29 am
DrewDad wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and the other thing is I've been STARVING lately. Seriously hungry all the time.

My stomach actually rumbles. It isn't just in my head.

How can I lose weight when I am eating my weight in food?

Was that directed at me? I didn't say "it's all in your head." I said medication can f*ck with your brain.

No, it's jsut pissing me off because I just got my brain thinking along the lines of "you don't have to eat every 2 hours" and now it's back...

I wonder if my thyroid is messed up..... I might have to make an appointment with my endo.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:48 am
flushd, I'm 47, so the same age as your mom...

The women mentioned at the gym with the "perfect" bodies?

Well, they were around when I was 26, and different 26 year olds are around today.

The ones from 20 years ago have turned into anal retentive shallow bitches who are stressed over loosing their beauty.

The 26 year olds today (and then) think they are somehow exempt from the effects of time. When I see one of them today, I just internally roll my eyes.

I'd like to say..."hey, guess what? you too."
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
Time and gravity are gonna get ya.
0 Replies

rg123

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:18 am
On weight fluctuations - a couple of possible explanations:

I've found that the amount of sodium I eat can really affect my weight temporarily. If I'm on a diet without a lot of sodium in it, and then eat a lot of sodium one day - even if I'm on reduced calories, the next day I may weigh 3 lbs more on the scale. It's a temporary increase due to water weight, though.

If you're eating reduced calories, I don't think a weight gain is going to be due to increased muscle tissue from your exercise. In the past, I have really worked out hard on diets trying to add muscle, and it simply has not happened. The only way I've been able to put on muscle has been with intense resistence exercises AND a calorie surplus - which has meant having to accept putting on some body fat when I've gained muscle. I don't know why this is, but it really seems to be true. (All the bodybuilding information out there says the same thing, but I didn't want to accept it until I found it to be true in my case - which I did, much to my disappointment.) BUT - having said that - when you exercise, you can increase your body's ability to store carbohydrates in the muscles in the form of glycogen - and for every gram of glycogen stored, another three grams of water are stored along with it. So - while you may not be adding muscle tissue weight, you may be seeing added weight due to this extra glycogen+water storage, which is a good thing, since it goes along with being more fit. According to most of what I've read, your body is most receptive to storing carbs if you eat them within an hour of two of exercising - so, you may also see some weight fluctuations depending upon when you eat relative to when you exercise.

Regarding walking - a rule of thumb that I've used, which pretty much matches a lot of the "calories burned" calculators out there, is that for every mile you walk, you burn an amount of calories equal to half your body weight. So - if I weigh 200lbs, I burn 100 calories per mile. That can be discouraging when you consider that losing a pound of body fat takes a deficit of around 3500 calories, but every little bit helps - and this does point out the importance of reducing your calories if you want to lose weight. I know people who have walked for 30 minutes a day and then didn't understand why they didn't lose weight when they were still eating snacks out of vending machines... just one of those snacks probably more than cancels out one of their 30 minute walks.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:52 am
rg123 wrote:
If you're eating reduced calories, I don't think a weight gain is going to be due to increased muscle tissue from your exercise. In the past, I have really worked out hard on diets trying to add muscle, and it simply has not happened. The only way I've been able to put on muscle has been with intense resistence exercises AND a calorie surplus - which has meant having to accept putting on some body fat when I've gained muscle. I don't know why this is, but it really seems to be true. (All the bodybuilding information out there says the same thing.

You're right.

First off Bella, you're frustrated over one pound? As a female, your body can fluctuate 5lbs in a given week because of your period, right? So how the hell do you know if that pound is actual weight gain, or just water weight?

Second, your trainer is a f'n idiot. Walking isn't going to pack on muscle and have a dramatic impact on body composition. They tell you your body fat percentage is too high, then have you on a walking-only program? You need to focus on a weight training routine, with walking as a supplement. In fact, anybody who wants to lose weight is going to see the best results when they lift weights along with cardio. Cardio alone will help speed your metabolism and burn calories, but you need to lift weights to really change your bodyfat %.

Diet is crucial determining whether or not you're going to gain muscle mass, or just get stronger & maintain that muscle as you maintain/lose weight to improve your body fat percentage. Just want to throw that out there for the women who think "if I lift weights, I'm going to get big." Stupidest excuse out there. You're not going to get big muscles unless your diet supports it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:57 am
Couple basic articles:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hardy3.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet5.htm
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 02:42 pm
Yaaa...lol, What Slappy said!

About two years ago, I started walking about two/three miles a day, by the time a few weeks had past I was running about half of it. I was also doing weights along with it...and sit ups..relentlessly. (I worked my way from 20 arm reps with 1 pound weights to 100 arm reps w/5lb weights. Different positions to work different muscles...And from 20-25 situps to a 100 a day..no excuses)

My body was taking on a different shape and I was slimming down, but toning up. God....that upper torso workout was better than having a breast lift...things were definetly perking up in that area!

GAaaaWWD!!! Why'd I STOP?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:40 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
rg123 wrote:
If you're eating reduced calories, I don't think a weight gain is going to be due to increased muscle tissue from your exercise. In the past, I have really worked out hard on diets trying to add muscle, and it simply has not happened. The only way I've been able to put on muscle has been with intense resistence exercises AND a calorie surplus - which has meant having to accept putting on some body fat when I've gained muscle. I don't know why this is, but it really seems to be true. (All the bodybuilding information out there says the same thing.

You're right.

First off Bella, you're frustrated over one pound? As a female, your body can fluctuate 5lbs in a given week because of your period, right? So how the hell do you know if that pound is actual weight gain, or just water weight?

I don't know....but when you are struggling to lose weight, and you are doing everything right, the small things really get to you.

Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Second, your trainer is a f'n idiot. Walking isn't going to pack on muscle and have a dramatic impact on body composition. They tell you your body fat percentage is too high, then have you on a walking-only program? You need to focus on a weight training routine, with walking as a supplement. In fact, anybody who wants to lose weight is going to see the best results when they lift weights along with cardio. Cardio alone will help speed your metabolism and burn calories, but you need to lift weights to really change your bodyfat %.

And I can't lift until I get my overall health back. I don't know if you know my health issues but my overall cardio health is sh!t. At this point in the game, there isn't much lifting I can do without risking hurting myself. I am doing some very light lifting at home. 3lbs weights. Nothing much but again, I don't have a lot to work with.

NOt to mention, any strenuous activity causes my heart rate to go extremely high. Meaning, walking anywherr over 3.3mps causes my heart rate to go into the 170s sometimse and that ain't walking extremely fast. My overall health is bad. Plain and simple. And I can't just jump into it like a normal person could. You have to understand that my process is slow and agaonizing. More so than normal weight loss.

Once I have my next consult, we'll see if I am improving and how much I am improving, internally. I can tell already, just by walking at a 4.0 incline and at 3.3 mph that something good is happening inside. It's gotten easier. I jogged for the FIRST time in I can't tell you how long without wanting to die. It was only about 2 minutes worth but again, small things count big when you start with nothing.

If you knew me before I got sick, you'd have seen someone who loved going to weight train 3-4 times a week.

Now, I can barely carry groceries into the house.

That's how much muscle my disease took.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:48 am
Pork fat rules!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 08:11 am
Looks like you're already making progress, Bella, good for you.

I don't have a personal trainer pinching me but I have a grabby husband who recently proclaimed my butt "much firmer," so that'll tide me over for now. :-)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 08:33 am
sozobe wrote:
Looks like you're already making progress, Bella, good for you.

I don't have a personal trainer pinching me but I have a grabby husband who recently proclaimed my butt "much firmer," so that'll tide me over for now. :-)

Need a second opinion?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:17 pm
I wasn't aware of your health situation, so guess it's a different story. But at the same time I'm not sure how working light weight training in can hurt, since it's less of a "cardio" workout than walking.

Well good luck with everything!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 06:51 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I wasn't aware of your health situation, so guess it's a different story. But at the same time I'm not sure how working light weight training in can hurt, since it's less of a "cardio" workout than walking.

Well good luck with everything!

Maybe my trainer is a f'in idiot. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:22 pm
Bella, I think I remember seeing a thread of yours where you talked about having hyperthyroidism. Is that the illness you had?

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better. Exercise is always beneficial.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:01 pm
I've gone down another size. I am almost satisfied with my body...something I NEVER thought I'd say.

Working in the gym like a Turk.

Can open coke bottle with stomach....lmao

Ass still needs lift, though...lmao

Glory!!!

I'm sure if I stop working out, my entire body will puddle around my ankles....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:28 pm
I lost all muscle mass in 2005 when I got sick... was 118 lbs. with grandma arms and a flabby torso.... I started out in Jan 2006 working out again.... I could only lift 10 lbs in anything resembling a regular rep.

18 months later I ride a bike 20 to 30 miles practically everyday.... lift strenously 3 days a week and my body is lean and defined....... except around my middle. I still have a pot belly and a spare tire, and I do 200 sit ups and 100 torso twists with a medicine ball 5 days a week. Not much of one, and squinney (when she was speaking to me) said no one but me notices it, but I want it gone.

The main thing is, I feel great and have stamina, require less sleep, my body fat percentage is good, and my cardiovascular health, which was always pretty good, is now superb.

Just keep doing what you're doing. It's good for you and gets better with time. I'm never giving up until I A: die or B: get that six pack, whichever comes first. The pursuit of it can only bring positive results.
0 Replies