Birthday Invitations Complete With Gimme Lists

eoe

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:18 pm
The idea of gift registries for brides and grooms makes sense to me simply because, traditionally, getting married meant starting a household and it's good to know what's needed, color choices and that sort of thing. Who needs five toasters? But this is the only time I can see the practicality of a list.

Thinking about it, it seems that gimme lists are definitely a sign of the unraveling of civility and proper manners. And the situations feels hopeless because so many parents adopt these new ideas out of self-centeredness and uncontrolled greed and they pass it along to future generations, their kids, the same way our parents passed along the ideas of honor and graciousness to us. It's not about appreciating the fact that someone cared enough to bring you a gift anymore. Now it's all about getting what you want at all costs.

Very sad. Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:22 pm
eoe- Agree- I really wonder what the little darling will demand for her sweet 16!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:34 pm
I think what I dislike most about this is that a gift is apparently mandatory, not a thrilling surprise. Being naturally anti-social I would either not send anything or send something that was absolutely NOT on the list. Noddy, you are too good.

(I remain intrigued by Rae's gifts for her sister's family... and admit that on occasion, I may have done something similar. Very Happy)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:37 pm
That is so tacky. I don't think that I'm THAT far removed from children's parties. Things couldn't have changed THAT much.

Bridal registries make sense, no doubt about that. But a gimme list for a kid's b/d party, oh, my!

When my kids got b/d invitations from friends (every second week it seemed), I'd tell 'em to ask what the friend wanted 'cause I'd rather spend my $ on something that the child will enjoy, that's for sure. If the invitation had come with a suggested gift list, I think my child would have been a no-show at the party.

When our nieces and nephews were young, we were the relatives who provided the dressy clothes from the children's boutiques. No idea what the kids thought, but the parents loved it!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:42 pm
I still remember that when a niece turned 21, we gave her a bottle of champagne, Dom Perignon, to be exact, to celebrate. She wasn't at home when we dropped it off, and it was 3 months before she found the time to thank us. She's 26 and getting married next hear ... hm ...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:51 pm
Piffka ~ Very Happy

A#1 neice has received from her favourite Auntie Raerae.....

1. Bowling set (plastic bowling ball and pins.....but the pins all 'yell' when they've been knocked down.
2. Fisher Price kareoke (sp?) machine
3. A (stuffed-animal) bird that repeats everything you say.
4. Fisher Price toy instruments.

Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 09:43 am
Oh my, Rae... no drums yet???

I always think a good drum, possibly with some jangly tambourine clappers is an excellent gift! Very Happy

Whatever did your sister do?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:01 pm
Piffka ~ my son is fourteen and a half ~ I've been threatening my sister with payback for at least that long! She knew it was coming! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:07 pm
I'm still boggled at the idea that anyone who sends an invitation with a gimme list thinks I'm going to show up or bring/send a gift. That is soooooooo not happening. That family would be lucky to see a card from me.

... and no Thank You for previous gifts? I think I'd wait for the thank you note before considering gifting that group again.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:18 pm
Definitely tacky, and I think kids have waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much disposable, useless crap.

But something that may be playing into this list, if you're feeling charitably inclined: it may be a misguided and gauche way of ensuring that they don't end up with a bunch of stuff the kid doesn't already have. From the little bit I've seen of children in financially comfortable families lately, it seems to me that a list of "items my child does not yet possess" would be a lot shorter than "items my child already possesses, many in duplicate, some in triplicate."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:21 pm
you don't even wanna know what i get for kids who already have tons too much. let's just say that they learn about charity beginning at home.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:36 pm
(hi...this is somewhat off topic, but maybe not so much. Today a teacher in our school system hit me up, as she has done every year for a decade, for a check that she could give to one of her deserving students to help the kid cope with college. Sure, it's only a few hundred bucks; nothing, I reckon, compared with the total cost.
My name is on the check that is given to the kid. Not once have I received a thank you in ten years.
"gimme" grows up.) -rjb-
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:48 pm
Why do you keeping giving the checks then, realjohnboy?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:59 pm
...because it's not the teacher's fault. Teachers come into my store and spend their own money buying stuff that their students need. Don't get me started; it's pretty aggravating. -rjb-
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:13 pm
I was just curious, rjb.

I appreciate your efforts in the education of our young ones.

Thank you!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:19 pm
Let me put that differently:
a teacher, a good teacher, has molded a child; has taken that child from one level to a new level of maturity. I certainly don't have that talent but I certainly admire people who can do that.
My donation is not so much to the "gimme" kid but to the teacher who has made it happen. Mis-directed philanthropy? Probably.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:28 pm
Mis-directed or not, I'm sure you give your donation knowing that the teacher will use his/her best judgment in passing it on.

My son was given an anonymous donation in sixth grade (a $100 Ebond) for 'Citizen of the Year'. We ended up sending a thank-you note in care of the school ~ and still hope that it got forwarded.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:37 pm
Anyway, let's get back to the little kids and their birthday "gimme lists"

I always wanted a pony. Every year, I've asked for a pony. My birthday is May 31st. Gimme a pony, d*mmit. --rjb-
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:47 pm
whoooooooo hooooooooo! another gemini for the list.

happy birthday in advance, realjohnboy.

a pony?

http://www.hallelnet.com/von/info/year_117.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 07:02 pm
fbaezer wrote:
America is doing it's best in raising a new and sharper "Gimme" and "Show Me the Money!" generation.
Not good news for the future of the world.

Would love to join another collective outcry against the yucky materialism of today's american generation, but alas. "Verlanglijstjes" (lit.: lists of stuff you long for) were wholly normal for children to make when their birthday was coming up, here in holland, when I was one myself (back in the 70s, early 80s) - pretty much standard procedure - and i'm sure it's no less so now (probably the gifts on the list got bigger).

You wouldnt necessarily get what you put on the list - they might well prefer to buy you something else after all, and that was wholly acceptable too, better even (at least in the parent's eyes Wink. But the lists were practical for family members (uncles and the like) who otherwise might've had to make a blind guess, with all the embarassment involved - and they're a lot of fun for the kids to make. Money or a check as a bday present, on the other hand, is plain out of the Q here, whether for children or adults, unless it is very specifically asked for; while gift certificates are distinct proof that the giver doesnt know you or doesnt care much.
0 Replies