megamanXplosion

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
First, welcome to A2K.

OK- that's outta the way, now on to business.

You've demonstrated what you believe relevant to the matter at discussion, but apart from a bit of sophistry (rather facile, btw; decent job) and some semantical wiggling, you've demonstrated nothing else beyond arrogant supposition.

Your "welcome" is insincere and contradicts your message. As such, I chuck it into the trash bin with other such sayings like loving one's enemies.

Regardless, you have made the claim that I have a belief on uncertain and shaky grounds that I have shown unwarranted importance for out of overbearing pride. That is wrong. You have confused confidence with arrogance and you have confused historical facts with suppositions. If people want to debate Positive Atheism vs Negative Atheism then they can. That debate would be logical. I was merely making the point that the current topic of debate unknowingly pitted negative atheists against other negative atheists, which is illogical.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:21 pm
megamanXplosion wrote:
I have yet to see agnosticism and atheism properly defined in this debate. Without a proper definition of both the debate cannot continue in any rational manner. The current state of the debate is truly no different than if one were to have a debate titled Jabbelocky vs Wubberwocky. It is completely pointless. However, as I shall demonstrate, once both are properly defined the debate still cannot continue.

If one believes in the existence of gods or supernatural deities then one is a theist. The opposite, lack of belief, makes one an atheist. An atheist need not specifically claim that gods or supernatural deities do not exist though some do. The reason is because there are two forms of atheism: positive and negative. A positive atheist is one who believes gods do not exist (there is a "positive" assertion.) A negative atheist is one who simply hasn't been convinced gods do exist (no assertion is made.) Both definitions show the person lacks belief though one is more extreme than the other. Thomas Huxley coined the term agnostic. As such, I shall use his own words to define it. "The one thing in which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure that they had attained a certain "gnosis" -- had more or less successfully solved the problem of existence... Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method... Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect, do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable."

When one understands the correct definition of atheism, of how it encompasses all that do not fit in the category of theism, is becomes clear that Huxley was bamboozled and used the wrong definition of it. He restricted atheism to its positive side and neglected the negative. When he coined the term "agnostic" he merely slapped a different label on negative atheism. Thus, those who call themselves "agnostics" have been bamboozled the same way Huxley was. Agnosticism is not a middle ground between theism and atheism because it is atheism.

So, now that both have been properly defined and put into perspective, the debate is now Atheism vs Atheism. One cannot help but chuckle and give a small joke about who the victor will be. You may as well try telling yourself to not tell you what to do.

Yeah, the atheists of the world want to take control of all the philosophical stances outside theism...as though they have the divine right to do so.

It is blather.

Atheism has an etymology...which includes the Greek "a" attached to "theism."

Big goddam deal!

It has a meaning...and it is understood by the public in a particular way. The dictionary that happens to be open on my desk at the moment (Webster's New Collegiate) defines atheist thusly: One who denies the existence of God.

Now I am not going to insist that this the only definition...but I am going to insist that it is disingenuous of atheists to essentially spout the agnostic position...and then still insist on being called atheists. And I sure as hell am going to insist that I AM NOT AN ATHEIST...and I do not "believe" in any gods.

You people don't own the territory outside of "belief in gods"...no matter the etymology of your designation...no matter how much you insist that you do.

The debate here IS between agnosticism and atheism....and that drivel you just posted is not going to change that by fiat.

If you have something to say on the matter...say it. Or go post in one of the movie threads. You can try your big deal act out on those good folk.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:23 pm
BDV wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:
Atheism vs Atheism.

So what type of atheist is someone who deny's the existence of any other God but their own ? Does this mean everyone is an atheist except for Pantheists ?

That person is a deist (a subcategory of theism), not an atheist.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:40 pm
No a deist is someone who rejects organised religion and uses common sense to make his/her decisions

Historical and modern Deism

megamanXplosion wrote:
BDV wrote:
megamanXplosion wrote:
Atheism vs Atheism.

So what type of atheist is someone who deny's the existence of any other God but their own ? Does this mean everyone is an atheist except for Pantheists ?

That person is a deist (a subcategory of theism), not an atheist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:44 pm
I will stop in to read from time to time. Unless something changes, I can do no more than restate my position, so, will remain voiceless for now.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Yeah, the atheists of the world want to take control of all the philosophical stances outside theism...as though they have the divine right to do so.

It is blather.

On the contrary, it is the agnostics that want to take control of the negative atheist philosophies. The definition of atheism I gave is the same as it was hundreds of years ago and agnosticism is a recent term. Any attempt to switch the timelines around will only make you look foolish. So, I must pose your question towards you: what divine right do you have to change the definition? The answer: none.

Quote:

Big goddam deal!

Historical facts... bleh, big goddamn deal! If you cannot see the foolishness of your own posts then you are a lost cause.

Quote:
It has a meaning...and it is understood by the public in a particular way. The dictionary that happens to be open on my desk at the moment (Webster's New Collegiate) defines atheist thusly: One who denies the existence of God.

Using the dictionary to support a redefinition of a term is an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy. According to your logic one could also use the American Heritage Dictionary and say that atheists are also defined as "immoral." Furthermore, your appeal to popularity is also a logical fallacy. According to that logic the popular opinion of the south meant that blacks are property and not human beings. One can also use the American Heritage Dictionary for "atheist" to again show why appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy. You may want to sharpen up your debating skills because your words are hurting your position more than mine.

Quote:
Now I am not going to insist that this the only definition...but I am going to insist that it is disingenuous of atheists to essentially spout the agnostic position...and then still insist on being called atheists. And I sure as hell am going to insist that I AM NOT AN ATHEIST...and I do not "believe" in any gods.

One can choose the path of ignorance if that is what one wills. However, I would question how wise such a decision would be.

Quote:
If you have something to say on the matter...say it. Or go post in one of the movie threads. You can try your big deal act out on those good folk.

I have said what I wanted to say. Furthermore, you have no authority on what I do on these forums so quit pretending like you do.

Quote:
No a deist is someone who rejects organised religion and uses common sense to make his/her decisions

The hypothetical question you posed was that a person rejected all conceptions of God except their own. Is it not true that Deists have their own personal conceptions of God due to their inherently unique logic and reasoning? As far as I can tell the term Deist fits that hypothetical person perfectly. If I am wrong then that is fine, I could care less. My point was that the person cannot be considered an atheist because that person has a belief in the existence of a god.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:15 pm
megamanXplosion wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
First, welcome to A2K.

OK- that's outta the way, now on to business.

You've demonstrated what you believe relevant to the matter at discussion, but apart from a bit of sophistry (rather facile, btw; decent job) and some semantical wiggling, you've demonstrated nothing else beyond arrogant supposition.

Your "welcome" is insincere and contradicts your message.

Nonsense - my extension of welcome is quite sincere; the more members here the merrier, and welcoming you then challenging your assertions in no way are contradictory.

Quote:
As such, I chuck it into the trash bin with other such sayings like loving one's enemies.

Establish your credentials in whatever manner you find fitting.

Quote:
Regardless, you have made the claim that I have a belief on uncertain and shaky grounds that I have shown unwarranted importance for out of overbearing pride.

That is correct; that is precisely what I did ... with the caveat it is not my argument which is shaky or uncertain.

Quote:
That is wrong.

No, it is not.

Quote:
You have confused confidence with arrogance

One of us has - but not the one sitting at my keyboard.

Quote:
and you have confused historical facts with suppositions.

Just to which exact historical facts do you refer, and where in what you wrote are they?

Quote:
If people want to debate Positive Atheism vs Negative Atheism then they can. That debate would be logical. I was merely making the point that the current topic of debate unknowingly pitted negative atheists against other negative atheists, which is illogical.

I submit you again descend into sophistry - the concepts of "positive" and "negative" atheism are but arbitrary constructs, terminological conventions you find pleasing and convenient to the argument you attempt thereby to develop.

One who is an atheist is one who does not believe in a god or gods, and a subset - perhaps even a statistically significant majority - of atheists believe there to be no god or gods. There is quantifiable distinction there, yes. In regard to the existence of a god or gods, an athiest is "closed-minded" - by definition - that one's mind is made up.

One who is a theist believes there to be a god or gods - nothing there from which to distinguish. A theist is in that regard Closed Minded just as is the atheist, simply oppositely.

One who is an agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or gods; that one is of open mind on the matter, unconvinced by argument from either camp, but willing, able, and ready to make a decision and join either camp in the event unambiguous evidence be provided - one way or the other. An agnostic is open minded as pertains to the existence of a god or gods.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
megamanXplosion wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

It is blather.

On the contrary, it is the agnostics that want to take control of the negative atheist philosophies. The definition of atheism I gave is the same as it was hundreds of years ago and agnosticism is a recent term. Any attempt to switch the timelines around will only make you look foolish. So, I must pose your question towards you: what divine right do you have to change the definition? The answer: none.

Oh really!

And of course you can provide us with a citation for the term "negative atheist" that predates Huxley's coining of the term "agnostic"...right?????

Otherwise you are going to look foolish.

Quote:

Quote:

Big goddam deal!

Historical facts... bleh, big goddamn deal! If you cannot see the foolishness of your own posts then you are a lost cause.

Unless you can provide a citation for negative atheism that predates agnosticism...you are invited to bite me!

Quote:

Quote:

Using the dictionary to support a redefinition of a term is an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy. According to your logic one could also use the American Heritage Dictionary and say that atheists are also defined as "immoral." Furthermore, your appeal to popularity is also a logical fallacy. According to that logic the popular opinion of the south meant that blacks are property and not human beings. One can also use the American Heritage Dictionary for "atheist" to again show why appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy. You may want to sharpen up your debating skills because your words are hurting your position more than mine.

Bite me on the other cheek.

Quote:

Quote:

One can choose the path of ignorance if that is what one wills. However, I would question how wise such a decision would be.

And now...give me a great big juicy kiss smack dab in the center.

Quote:

Quote:

I have said what I wanted to say. Furthermore, you have no authority on what I do on these forums so quit pretending like you do.

The only one doing any "pretending" here is you.

You claim we agnostics "want to take control of the negative atheist philosophies. "

Frankly, I think you are full of shyt...but we can discuss whether or not you are after you offer a citation for negative atheism that predates Huxley's coining of agnosticism.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:48 pm
I gotta say this about Edgar and ci.

THEY KNOW WHAT BEING AN ATHEIST IS ALL ABOUT...and it is not this stealing the agnostic position and pretending it is truly an atheistic position.

I congratulate them on having spine.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:17 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Nonsense - my extension of welcome is quite sincere; the more members here the merrier, and welcoming you then challenging your assertions in no way are contradictory.

Challenging someone's assertions usually means doing something more than calling them arrogant suppositions with no supporting evidence. I suppose we have different standards on what one calls a challenge.

Nonetheless, I fail to see how someone could gladly accept (welcome) an arrogant man. Every observant person knows arrogant men are only "gladly accepted" with jittery hands or bowed heads because the people cannot stomach their own insincerity.

Quote:
Quote:
As such, I chuck it into the trash bin with other such sayings like loving one's enemies.

Establish your credentials in whatever manner you find fitting.

I tried to establish my credentials in that sentence? Laughing

Quote:
Quote:
You have confused confidence with arrogance

One of us has - but not the one sitting at my keyboard.

Look in the dictionary at the word arrogance. I have shown no overbearing pride in my arguments. I have, however, expressed confidence in my argument's validity.

Quote:
Quote:
and you have confused historical facts with suppositions.

Just to which exact historical facts do you refer, and where in what you wrote are they?

The definition of atheism is known to have been used in Italy, 1568, with the word "atheoi" which meant "one who denies or disbelieves." (That is the same definition I gave.) The word was then borrowed by the French in 1587 to create the word "athéisme" with the same definition. It was then borrowed by the English to become the word "atheism," again with the same meaning. The definition I gave of atheism is historical fact. The definition of agnosticism came from the man who coined the term so that definition is also historical fact.

How about this: you provide a basis for your "suppositional" claim. My entire post is rooted in fact. You will not find anything "suppositional" in it.

Quote:
Quote:
If people want to debate Positive Atheism vs Negative Atheism then they can. That debate would be logical. I was merely making the point that the current topic of debate unknowingly pitted negative atheists against other negative atheists, which is illogical.

I submit you again descend into sophistry - the concepts of "positive" and "negative" atheism are but arbitrary constructs, terminological conventions you find pleasing and convenient to the argument you attempt thereby to develop.

The phrase "attempt thereby to develop" is a phrase up of which I will not put! (laughs) Regardless, isn't it the convenience that you are fighting for when you try to neglect half of the definition of atheism?

Quote:
One who is an atheist is one who does not believe in a god or gods, and a subset - perhaps even a statistically significant majority - of atheists believe there to be no god or gods. There is quantifiable distinction there, yes. In regard to the existence of a god or gods, an athiest is "closed-minded" - by definition - that one's mind is made up.

The positive atheists have made their minds up but the negative atheists have not.

Quote:
One who is a theist believes there to be a god or gods - nothing there from which to distinguish. A theist is in that regard Closed Minded just as is the atheist, simply oppositely.

Correction: "A theist is in that regard Closed Minded just as is the [Positive] atheist, simply oppositely."

Quote:
One who is an agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or gods; that one is of open mind on the matter, unconvinced by argument from either camp, but willing, able, and ready to make a decision and join either camp in the event unambiguous evidence be provided - one way or the other. An agnostic is open minded as pertains to the existence of a god or gods.

And so is a negative atheist.

Quote:
And of course you can provide us with a citation for the term "negative atheist" that predates Huxley's coining of the term "agnostic"...right?????

Otherwise you are going to look foolish.

The term "negative atheist" was not coined to add to the definition of the word atheist. It adds nothing to the definition. It merely provided a clarification of what part of atheism one falls under: one who denies or disbelieves in the existence of gods.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:52 pm
atheist already established there belief there is no god, agnostics dont know and are trying to find a way one way or another
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:51 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
The dictionary that happens to be open on my desk at the moment (Webster's New Collegiate) defines atheist thusly: One who denies the existence of God.

I'd get a new dictionary Frank.

That one seems to presuppose the existence of one specific "God" and defines atheists as those who deny He exists, which is, at best, not a complete definition. Polytheists would fit this definition, and arguably Muslims too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:04 pm
This is getting good. I feel like a voyeur in here. Cool
I continue to follow with suppressed amusement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:06 pm
Suppressed?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:08 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Suppressed?

Yes, you read it correctly.

Main Entry: sup·press
Pronunciation: s&-'pres
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin suppressus, past participle of supprimere, from sub- + premere to press -- more at PRESS
1 : to put down by authority or force : SUBDUE
2 : to keep from public knowledge: as a : to keep secret b : to stop or prohibit the publication or revelation of
3 a : to exclude from consciousness b : to keep from giving vent to : CHECK
4 obsolete : to press down
5 a : to restrain from a usual course or action <suppress a cough> b : to inhibit the growth or development of
6 : to inhibit the genetic expression of <suppress a mutation>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:12 pm
You used it incorrectly.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:15 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You used it incorrectly.

How so? Pray tell. But, I digress. Best get back on topic. Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:19 am
Eorl wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
The dictionary that happens to be open on my desk at the moment (Webster's New Collegiate) defines atheist thusly: One who denies the existence of God.

I'd get a new dictionary Frank.

That one seems to presuppose the existence of one specific "God" and defines atheists as those who deny He exists, which is, at best, not a complete definition. Polytheists would fit this definition, and arguably Muslims too.

I've got a bookshelf full of dictionaries, Eorl...but that one happened to be on my desk and open as I was typing.

What I did was merely mention that the dictionary at hand had that definition...and that the public seems to favor that definition. I am not offering it as an end-all...nor did my post indicate that I was.

And it was not, as this new bag of wind suggests, "...a redefinition"...nor was it "...an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy."

It was simply a comment.

But the bag of wind has a long way to go here...and we don't want to deflate him too quickly. We gotta play with him for a while.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:00 am
I believe one of the problems here is the word "Atheist", atheism has such a wide and varied use that a true definition is hard to agree on, as I stated before a disbelief in say the God "Thor" would make you an atheist to that religion, but you still could believe in say "Mithras", making you a theist in that religion, so in a sense most people are atheists in some form or the other except for agnostics who don't believe or disbelieve in God/s, no matter who they are, but say an agnostic says the God "Thor" does not exists then he becomes an atheist

A few quotes earlier on talk of fairies, leprechauns, etc etc, these are not Gods, so not relevant to the discussion, but as i am from ireland I can tell you now there are quite a few folk here who would tell you that they do exist as they have seen them, and would argue with you until the end of enternity on this fact, actually in true irish fashion they would probably thump you after about 5 minutes debate Smile .

No mater if something exists or not, it can never be truly ruled out, is there not a possible 10 dimensions, of which we only can exist in 4, that leaves 6 dimensions which could have a multitude of bizarre creatures and Gods, so to be a complete atheist would mean the denial of possibility, you could have pink monster rabbit bouncing around you in the 5th dimension and never know.

So maybe a true atheist, is just a denial of possibility.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:25 am
Have you provided historical facts or entymological facts? No, but I have. Have you used logically fallacious arguments like appealing to authority and appealing to popularity? Yes, but I have not. Have you posted personal attacks like "bag of wind" and "fraud"? Yes, but I have not.

If you truly think you can "deflate" this "bag of wind" then do it.
0 Replies