Did you have a Spiritual Awakening?

snood

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:37 pm
timberlandko wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Lash has a heart and a mind, unusal for a chistian.

Not really; not all Christians are of the ignorant, luddite Evangelical/Fundamentalist/Biblethumper persuasion. Despite the visibility of the backwards examples, they're really nothing more than a very vocal, fairly effective minority. Of course, that does not in any way lessen the threat they and their proselytizing ilk pose.

I agree with that. I don't do well with the christians that try to force anything. The ones that let their lives do their proseletyzing just don't get much press.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:11 pm
Re: Did you have a Spiritual Awakening?
snood wrote:
Did anything happen to you in particular that caused you to believe in a higher spiritual authority

Hi Snood, I think you're leading the witness a bit with that question. You are assuming that people who have some spiritual bent actually ascribe conditons of "higher" and "authority" to that spirituality, and I'm not at all sure that's the case (it's certainly not with me).

snood wrote:
or in the existence of a spiritual world?

Again, you're assuming that spirituality is an external condition, and not just a personal perspective on nature.

It may be that I'm somewhat unique in my definition of spirituality, but some of your assumptions miss the mark with my view of spirituality.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:54 pm
If my questions don't apply to you, feel free to ignore them.

On the other hand, if there are those reading who have had any experience which caused them to reconsider the existence of a spiritual realm (meaning something other than what is discernible by the 5 senses), I am very interested to hear about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:27 am
snood wrote:
I don't do well with the christians that try to force anything.

The upside to that group is that they can cause people to consider their positions. I know that I'm less likely to call myself a Christian now than I was 1 or 2 years ago - in great part as a result of reflections I had to do in response to postings by people who are, ehmmmmmmm, forcible in their Christianity.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:40 am
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Not really; not all Christians are of the ignorant, luddite Evangelical/Fundamentalist/Biblethumper persuasion. Despite the visibility of the backwards examples, they're really nothing more than a very vocal, fairly effective minority. Of course, that does not in any way lessen the threat they and their proselytizing ilk pose.

I agree with that. I don't do well with the christians that try to force anything. The ones that let their lives do their proseletyzing just don't get much press.

In other words most Christians are just like me is what you're saying right? :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 06:00 am
snood wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, if there are those reading who have had any experience which caused them to reconsider the existence of a spiritual realm (meaning something other than what is discernible by the 5 senses), I am very interested to hear about it.

I frequently have thoughts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 06:01 am
Thanks, Cyracuz! Any experiences that inspired those thoughts?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:29 am
Quote:

What lead you to define 'spiritual' as 'that which can't be detected with our 5 senses'?
This is interesting, because to me it seems folly to assume we can detect everything that exists naturally. I think there are probably many many more 'ways' to detect reality than the ones we just happened to evolve, and further that we thusly only have a limited perspective by which to judge what reality is.
However, to hold this view requires neither a belief in magic nor an assumption of some nebulous X factor so-named 'spirituality'
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:51 am
On the other hand, if there are those reading who have had any experience which caused them to reconsider the existence of what they themselves believe as a spiritual realm (meaning something other than what is discernible by the 5 senses), I am very interested to hear about it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
Well, I'll say "The Spiritual Realm" appeared to me to be self-evidently real untill somewhere around the time I began to seek out and read other than that fed to me by the decidedly, institutionally "spiritual" types responsible for my early gradeschool education. I'd hafta say discovering (prolly the summer between 2nd and 3rd grades, I believe) the classical Greeks, Plato and Aristotle in particular though not alone, occasioned my shift of opinion, setting me, as it were, on an objective, open ended, open-minded, ongoing search for evidenced truth and logical understanding, as opposed to self-satisfiedly wallowing in the comfort of dogmatically handed-down, illogical, counter-intuitive, counter-evidentiary myth and mystery.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:47 pm
I hear you. You don't believe in it - you don't think it's real, you are thoroughly convinced that your clear and reasonable examination of the facts is superior in every way to "wallowing in the comfort of dogmatically handed-down, illogical, counter-intuitive, counter-evidentiary myth and mystery." I got it. I've gotten it repeatedly and thoroughly. Do you have some reason for continuing to visit a thread who's subject matter you think vapid?

I mean, it seems that you have some investment in making sure that no discussion of this type takes place without your frequently injecting a negative, sometimes insulting post. This is not a soapbox for the dogmatic proseletyzers who have done all that damage that you and Setanta and others tirade against. This is simply an attempt of mine to hear of others' experiences with what they consider to be the spiritual realm.

Why do you keep trying to derail it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:02 pm
snood wrote:
On the other hand, if there are those reading who have had any experience which caused them to reconsider the existence of what they themselves believe as a spiritual realm (meaning something other than what is discernible by the 5 senses), I am very interested to hear about it.

I have had two experiences that I cannot explain. Both concerned my paternal grandparents.

My grandfather had been in the hospital with colon cancer, and he had had an operation. My son was an infant, and there was no way that I could go into Manhattan to see him. My father told me that he would be seeing him every day, and that he would tell me of my grandfather's progress. As the patient was very tired, he suggested that I should not even call until he became stronger.

The day before I got a call from my father. He said that his dad was doing much better, and that he was sitting up, and dangling his legs over the side of the bed. In those days, if you had an operation, the doctors went much slower than today. For instance I had an operation years ago, where I stayed in the hospital for five days. Today, the same operation is done on an outpatient basis.

That afternoon I took my son for a walk in his carriage, and walked much farther than normally. All of a sudden, I had this strong feeling that I had to call my grandfather. I also had a terrible sense of sadness. I raced home, called his number, and the phone kept ringing and ringing. I found out that night, that at the time I was calling my grandfather, he had had a cardiac arrest, and the medical team was working on him. He was dying, at about the time that I called.

Some years later, my grandmother was also in a local hospital. She too had cancer, and was dying. My aunt told me that it was useless to go to see her, because she was on a lot of meds, was in and out of consciousness, and could not really recognize anyone.

A few days later, like with my grandfather, all of a sudden I had this sense of urgency, and I ran to the hospital. I was there to watch her die.

I don't know if these are spiritual experiences or not. As I have said before, I think that humans have abilities that are really untapped. Right now, I cannot explain what happened.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 02:21 pm
bm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 02:46 pm
snood wrote:
I hear you. You don't believe in it - you don't think it's real, you are thoroughly convinced that your clear and reasonable examination of the facts is superior in every way to "wallowing in the comfort of dogmatically handed-down, illogical, counter-intuitive, counter-evidentiary myth and mystery."

Not exactly, snood, I'm not thoroughly convinced of the "superiority" of my position, I am thoroughly unconvinced of the superiority of any other position - there is a distinction, a very large and important one.

Quote:
I got it. I've gotten it repeatedly and thoroughly. Do you have some reason for continuing to visit a thread who's subject matter you think vapid?

Apparently, you haven't "gotten it" at all. I'll take particular exception to your assertion I consider the matter at discussion "vapid"; on its own merits, I consider it interesting, innocuous, occasionally illuminating, not infrequently surprising. On the otherhand, I consider certain permutations proceeding from the notion to be dangerous, inimical to the prgress of civilization.

Quote:
I mean, it seems that you have some investment in making sure that no discussion of this type takes place without your frequently injecting a negative, sometimes insulting post. This is not a soapbox for the dogmatic proseletyzers who have done all that damage that you and Setanta and others tirade against. This is simply an attempt of mine to hear of others' experiences with what they consider to be the spiritual realm.

You asked for others to share their " ... experiences with what they consider to be the spiritual realm.". That precisely is what I did.

Quote:
Why do you keep trying to derail it?

You asked for others to share their " ... experiences with what they consider to be the spiritual realm.". That, in keeping with the topic's premise, precisely is what I did.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 03:14 pm
This thread has got me thinking.

I thought I understood the term spirituality, but now I'm no longer sure.

Right now I'm thinking that my life is my spiritual awakening. Maybe physical death is spiritual birth.

I like this idea. I will trancend myself.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:22 pm
Timberlanko:
Quote:
You asked for others to share their " ... experiences with what they consider to be the spiritual realm.". That, in keeping with the topic's premise, precisely is what I did.

It most assuredly is not what you have done. What you have done, and doubtless will continue to do, is to set yourself up as the clear-thinking worldly judge of those confused and gullible sorts who hold any such spiritual belief. You make it clear from your very first post you think nothing at all of any spiritual experience - you call them "unexplained" and hold in disdain any who venture any further:

Quote:
Now, as to a personal "spiritual awakening" ... well, while perhaps not exactly in keeping with the foundational premise of this thread, I'll say I woke up when I realized "unexplained" means neither more nor less than "unexplained".

You hammer that point home - that whatever it is we're talking about shouldn't be called "spiritual", but simply "unexplained"… It is a point you clearly want to be made, here, amongst any rash and ill-considered claims about anything "spiritual" :

Quote:
Emotionally satisfying or not, unexplained means neither more nor less than unexplained. It means unexplained, period.

And again, just in case any of us weren't listening to Timberlandko giving us the real reality of the unassailable truth:

Quote:
I've seen a buncha unexplained stuff, and heard of much more - its unexplained.

You ventured off briefly to magnanimously allow that not all Christians were heartless and mindless, in answer to a post by Dyslexia:

Quote:

…but that was just more of the same bone you have to pick with the ills dogmatic and proseletyzing organized religion has caused the world - which, like everything else you have posted in this thread, has nothing at all to do with any experience which you yourself have considered to be spiritual.

You make it very clear in this post, in tone and verbiage, what you think of the whole idea of personal spiritual experience:

Quote:
Well, I'll say "The Spiritual Realm" appeared to me to be self-evidently real untill somewhere around the time I began to seek out and read other than that fed to me by the decidedly, institutionally "spiritual" types responsible for my early gradeschool education. I'd hafta say discovering (prolly the summer between 2nd and 3rd grades, I believe) the classical Greeks, Plato and Aristotle in particular though not alone, occasioned my shift of opinion, setting me, as it were, on an objective, open ended, open-minded, ongoing search for evidenced truth and logical understanding, as opposed to self-satisfiedly wallowing in the comfort of dogmatically handed-down, illogical, counter-intuitive, counter-evidentiary myth and mystery.

So please Timberlanko - please be courteous enough at least, if you insist on peppering the thread with your unsubtle reminders that the notion of personal spiritual experience is illogical, or unreasonable, or just plain silly, to not insult anyone's intelligence by trying to pretend as if that's not what you're doing, 'kay?
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 01:34 am
timberlandko wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Threat!
What threat?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 02:36 am
No.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:01 am
Scott777ab wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Threat!
What threat?

hi Scott,

You've got to remember that in forumspeak, it is only Christians that have no right to state their position, because that would be 'preaching' and 'proselytizing'.

All others are free to do so.

(Especially frowned upon is stating your position on a religious topic in a Religion forum.)

It's fairly simple. Just two sets of rules. One for them, another for everybody else.

If you have difficulty understanding this, it may be because you hold to the apparently outdated notion that freedom of speech applies to all, instead of a select few.

That outdated idea of yours is threatening indeed, doncha know.

Or as Charlton Heston once described the hostility he often encountered living on the Left Coast as essentially an atttitude of "Chuck , how dare you speak your mind."

http://usmc-51.livejournal.com/7170.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 05:58 am
I don't appreciate the apparent attempt to stifle the free flow of ideas, by the often insulting posts made on the religion threads by those like Setanta and timberlandko.

<In all fairness, it should be said that they have a point when they talk about the harm that fanaticism has done on a large scale - they just don't stop there - they can't restrain themselves from being rude to those with religious or spiritual belief.>

Generally what goes on here (and specifically this thread) is an attempt to mine others' stimulating ideas about religion and spirituality. They are disingenuous when they pretend that their aim in posting to threads like these is anything other than disparaging anything having to do with those things.
0 Replies