A2K in Barcelona 2007 - poll for meeting date

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:03 pm
I'm sort of bemused re the easter thing, since I flew to Rome on Good Friday - a surprise to me at the time, I found out after I made the reservations since those holidays aren't on my own scope) - with no problem, but I'll stop nattering about it because I was probably just lucky.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:09 pm
Well, that really made me wonder - I know a couple of people, who never would go to Rome on Easter again ... but even more certainly would - due to the festivities.

And I do agree that airline tickets are muuuuuch more expensives those days!

Btw: the weekend before Whitsun is a holiday weekend as well [in Spain, but also in mayn European countries: Thursday, May 17 is Ascension Day, traditionally the start for a long weekend/short holiday.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:10 pm
Walter,

Yes it does because Easter is 2 weeks and Whit is one week. You book within those periods but avoid those specific weekends.

NB EasyJet for late March from the UK is coming up at around £55 return (less than $100)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:13 pm
You are referring to the UK-situation, which is different to elswhere :wink:

From my local airport, I have to change at Mallorca ... with AirBerlin.

I would go, however, different and fly with Lufthansa, use my "miles-and-more". :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:15 pm
ossobuco, I meant the European school vacation as well. As the majority
of attendees will be Europeans, we need to consider that as well.
We have school vacation from mid June until the end of August, but
in Europe it is mostly from the end of July to mid/end August.

And as Walter and fresco said, during Easter the airlines, the hotels
and even restaurants are far more expensive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:18 pm
Well, I'd put in Easter as a choice for the people with school related issues. I like April myself, but would prefer not the holiday.

J_B, could you go if it was May 4-7?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:20 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You are referring to the UK-situation, which is different to elswhere :wink:

From my local airport, I have to change at Mallorca ... with AirBerlin.

I would go, however, different and fly with Lufthansa, use my "miles-and-more". :wink:

Well Walter, you just live so far out of any region, you would need
to travel extensively no matter where you go Mr. Green Mr. Green
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:21 pm
Gulp, that has the same anniversary plus NO Jazz fest conflict I had in Chicago. Don't base it around me. I'm perfectly willing to let other folks decide and I'll make it if I can.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:28 pm
These are the school holidays in Essex - I'm not sure about other UK-counties:
http://i6.tinypic.com/16jrcjd.jpg

In Austria, all states have Easter holidays from 31.03. until 10.04. 2007 and Whitsun holidays between 26.05. and 29.05.2007.

German holidays differ ...
http://i6.tinypic.com/16jrj0o.jpg

In France, the school holidays are from April 13 untile the 2nd of May.

And in Spain ... who knows?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:29 pm
Hmmm, well, maybe the Ascension? May 18-21? Is that too late, Diane and Dys?

I was wrong about none of the above, and couldn't edit in time. One did say another date preferred and probably posted on it. Will have to ge back and see what that might be...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:32 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Well Walter, you just live so far out of any region, you would need
to travel extensively no matter where you go Mr. Green Mr. Green

Four times Munich and three times Frankfurt per day is good enough for me ... though I've other choices as well :wink:

http://i6.tinypic.com/16jrn84.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:35 pm
I still don't know when US/Canada/Mexico school vacations are, re getting out in June..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:40 pm
In Canada, the summer vacation varies slightly from province to province.

I know that's not much help, but I don't think there are any Canadian A2K'ers who are considering this who would be effected by school schedules (other than trying to guess when the fewest families with children will be on vacation in the same place).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:41 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I still don't know when US/Canada/Mexico school vacations are, re getting out in June..

I could imagine that's easier to find out from locals than from Europe.
(I've no idea, how school holidays are scheduled outsite Europe.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:45 pm
ehBeth, are you still going to take a trip towards Vienna and points east?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:

To give one example - in Ontario, school for public school students runs roughly to the 29th of June. High school students got out around the 15th. College students finished around May 20th, and uni students finished the winter semester in April. The high school end date varies for farming-based communities.

Then in Alberta

Quote:
The school year usually extends from September to June 30 with minor variations from system to system. Some schools are now providing year-round schooling and other alternative timetables, and others start their school year in August rather than September.

Most schools close down for two months of vacation in July and August, as well as two weeks of Christmas/winter vacation and an Easter/spring break.

The number of instructional days may vary from 190 to 200 days. In junior high schools, the majority of courses are offered for the full school year. Optional courses may be rotated on a scheduled basis throughout the year. In senior high schools, courses may be offered for the full school year or on a semester basis (for half the year). Some high schools now offer a quarter-system calendar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:52 pm
OssoB, E and I are still planning our trip.

Vienna's still at the top of the list, but the points east thing is a turning out to be a bit tricky.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:02 pm
Well, maybe you can do part of it... I'd like to go to Turkey myself.

on vacations, it is tricky to pick a time. I thought I was clear with that late June choice, and it probably still is ok re being past school for those dealing with that as issue.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:50 pm
I'm not sure if any dates have been mentioned, but I'll be available for Barcelona from May 22 to May 28. If these dates do not fit with the majority planning to attend, I'll be traveling alone in Europe.

I have registered for a tour of the Adriatic from Dubrovnik to Lake Bled from May 7 to May 21. I can catch a flight from Slovenia to Barcelonia on those "free" days.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:21 pm
Well, c.i., we miss again!

I'll be in Europe (mostly Italy) (probably) from about mid-April to mid-May (landmark birthday trip!)

Although I'm thinking of changing to France because of Italy's appalling sportsmanship in the World Cup! Is there some reason Italians can't be expected to play fair?
0 Replies