A2K in Barcelona 2007 - poll for meeting date

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:08 am
Which is in part how this started, isn't it, Walter... I think it was Dys who mentioned, sly dog, that he thought Spain was a good idea... on some thread, and others agreed, re it being both (paraphrasing here) attractive and relatively inexpensive.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:27 am
I'm an "any".
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:43 pm
There can be a feeling of having to make a commitment that is somewhat uncomfortable. I think people should do whatever is best for them. if schedules work out, that is wonderful, but it isn't necessary for a fine vacation just with family.

So far, Dys and I are pretty sure it will be late April/early May. Now that ehBeth has shown the weather chart, Spring looks better than autumn, although I thought it rained more in the Spring most of the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:50 pm
Well, so far we're nowhere for a time, but I suppose it will all come out in the wash, as my mother would say.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:51 pm
Diane wrote:

So far, Dys and I are pretty sure it will be late April/early May. Now that ehBeth has shown the weather chart, Spring looks better than autumn, although I thought it rained more in the Spring most of the time.

They had had some terrible rain along the Costa Brava and especially on the Baleares during spring the last few years, but I don't hope that this will become a custom :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:31 am
I think we should work toward a date. Various a2kers landing in Spain mere days but not the same days from each other won't do. We've nailed down dates before, we can do it again.

As always, I foresee this as turning out to be two dates preferred.
If that turns out to be true, let's bag those dates.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:29 pm
My sister just announced our annual sibling reunion for May 11 - 14, 2007.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:04 pm
Well, if it turns out being May, it could be shifted to another week; these dates are up there to get a poll happening. Seems a tad inconclusive...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:05 pm
I'll have to ask my siblings when we plan to have our gathering. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:35 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Well, if it turns out being May, it could be shifted to another week; these dates are up there to get a poll happening.

How long do you intend to run that poll?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm
Re: A2K in Barcelona 2007 - poll for meeting date
ossobuco wrote:
Barcelona received the highest number of votes in the poll for a Europe A2K Meeting in 2007. Vienna and London were the runner up cities.

LINK TO EUROPE MEETING POLL HERE

Let's start the planning for Barcelona by choosing a date for the meeting.

Poll will end in 21 days.

That's the poll - ends soon. I have a faint memory of something in early July, perhaps the 2nd.

I am not so sure that even if a vote changes now that it changes how we think, whatever it is we think. Personally, I was eyeing if there was differentiation re meeting generally in Spring, meeting specifically when school was out on spring vacation, or after school was out in June.

Eh!!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:11 pm
Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:33 am
Poll ends the morning of June 4th, US mountain daylight time, assuming I'm counting correctly.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:55 am
ossobuco wrote:
Poll ends the morning of June 4th, US mountain daylight time, assuming I'm counting correctly.

So we have almost a year to answer? Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:56 am
You mean July 4th and not June, ossobuco. Wink

Well, I don't know who came up with these dates, but a lot of
us have children in school, and none of the dates correlate with school
vacation.

So if I may suggest: the retirees should do their own travel arrangements, and the rest of us will get our own itinerary as well.

No offense, one of the people voting for April is out already. Besides, Easter in Europe is a hughe holiday and everyone is taking vacation and heading for the beaches. Not a good time to travel anyway. Europeans
know that!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:24 pm
Easter is the same here, CJ. It is insane to even contemplate traveling during Easter holidays unless it is unavoidable. Plus, the colleges celebrate big time, making the usual resort spots trash dumps full of beer cans and loud everything.

Dys and I would love to be there to at least meet some of you, but I won't go anywhere when the weather is hot. Late April (after Easter) or early May would be fine although October and November are gorgeous months (for Spain).

We will wait and see what everyone else says before making up our minds, but we will still plan on going during the months I mentioned. Here's hoping at least a few of you will be able to travel during one of those months.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
CJ, I specifically asked you about vacation dates before posting the poll; your followup reply didn't answer the vacation date question. I put the June date late in the month with you and others with children or school related concerns in mind. When I did a test poll in an earlier thread and used the exact weekend of Easter, there was commentary that that would be a poor time being a holiday weekend - and that is a factor. Others who can't go unless it is vacation time for school (there was one and possibly a second who posted about that besides yourself) didn't respond with their school related dates, and in any case, those dates vary, as Walter described in one post.

As far as totals, it seems the poll will end up showing that more can go in April, May or any time, than checked late June, whether or not they are Retirees.

Can you tell us when you would like the meeting to be? Perhaps people will agree to your date, or, perhaps we should have a two date choice runoff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:57 pm
Yeah, Francis, that was a goof! (June on the brain...)

Just saw Diane's post. If you and Dys work out your dates, maybe that would form part of the runoff poll. I think J_B posted recently that she couldn't make that exact weekend in May.

J_B, could you make it another weekend in May?

CI has been talking about May all along; CI, did you figure out when your family get together is?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:58 pm
People travelling to Barcelona from Europe should have few problems getting a cheap weekend flight provided that major holday weekends like Easter and Whitsun are avoided. (i.e Friday April 6 and Friday May 24th)
Barcelona is not an extended vacation destination.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:01 pm
That, however, doesn't solve the problem for those who only can travel during school holidays :wink:
0 Replies