I Think I Broke My Finger...The Story of...

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:35 pm
...the Smartest Person Alive

Ok so don't make fun of me too bad because it's taking me a while to type this but ...if you get you finger caught in the window of a car, what are the chances of breaking it? We're talking about the third section, farthest away from your hand. Not the joint. Rolled up almost completely tight by automatic windows.

I think I may have but am not going to rush to the doctor right now in case it's just sore...it's a little swollen, more like a hot dog versus a sausage. Peeled some skin off when I tried to yank it out but otherwise, no bruising. Tender to the touch. Can bend but feels weird. Throbbing a bit and still a little hot to the touch.

Did it about an hour ago. It still hurts.

I'll go if it doesn't feel better but I don't want to leave work for a bruised finger. What do you think? Am I being a sissy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 15
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:41 pm
I'm no doctor, but I play one on A2K. If you can bend it, you're fine. Put some ice on it to reduce the swelling, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

Now, when can we schedule the pelvic exam?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:41 pm
I have no call for making fun of you. I had slammed or shut my fingers in so many things, I barely notice anymore. It all started when my mother shut my thumb in the car door many years ago. It's all been downhill between doors and me ever since.
I'd give it a day or two and see how it feels before seeing your doctor. In the meantime, take a couple aspirin or something to keep the pain down, ice it, try not to move it too much. If it shows no sign of improvement after a couple of days, go see your doctor.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:43 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I'm no doctor, but I play one on A2K. If you can bend it, you're fine.

Not true actually.

It's not on a joint.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
I'd go, you might be infected.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
I have no call for making fun of you. I had slammed or shut my fingers in so many things, I barely notice anymore.

Oh I noticed this.

The searing fire of having my finger stuck in a closed window..yeah, I noticed.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:48 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
blacksmithn wrote:
I'm no doctor, but I play one on A2K. If you can bend it, you're fine.

Not true actually.

It's not on a joint.

http://www.ffesp.com/imagem/mccoyhyp.jpg

Dammit Jim, I'm a blacksmith not an escalator! (With apologies to DeForrest Kelly).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:53 pm
Because I'm such a klutz I carry finger splints, elbow and wrist braces with me as a standard practice.

Without a finger splint, I'd probably tape my whacked finger to a pencil to immobilize it - take a couple of aspirin to take down the throbbing - put some ice in a baggie and plop it (gently) on the finger. And wait for about 6 - 12 hours to see how things look when the swelling goes down.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:50 pm
so

how did you get your finger way up there anyway?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:16 pm
Flipping off another driver?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
pointing at the dead bird?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:17 pm
As luck would have it, I did this to myself last Friday. The tiles in the kitchen were just setting and some of the ones in the hallway were just set, others stable. So, I went to get something from the garage, which has a hall entry, was paying attention to my feet instead of the door, and managed to put my hand in the door jamb and proceed to close it and mangle my "second finger" in left hand (to me my third finger, since I count the thumb) with a goodly dent, say 3/16" on each side, right at the arthritic knuckle.

It hurt so badly I couldn't even swear. Besides, the tile guys are busy trying not to swear around me, fer fks sake. It has gradually gone back to normal. Of course I have experience behind me here, in that I nearly sliced off my left hand index finger some time ago, while cutting a pork roast. Got the tendon on that one. You almost can't tell now, thirty years past.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:19 pm
jesssuus

I hope you are ok?!

there must be something in the air
everyone is trying to lose a finger today
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:24 pm
Oh, yeah, finger fine and I am too. Except that they poured the footing for the front wall wrong today and I am either going to win on having them take it out, or will get out there and get it out myself. Long story, am presently a furball of agitation, calming self down by posting on a2k.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:30 pm
oh god.
I can share some contractor stories..

I told you that MIL wanted stained concrete floors right?
And Ian and I did them?

Well.. we did them because the so called ' professional' we picked out was a louse doing this out of his garage.

Tried to lay almost 300 sq feet of concrete in ONE DAY, from ONE LIQUID pile..
he literally just poured it in the middle of the room... and said " It levels itself out. No need to do anything" and left.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:54 pm
(tangent to finger stuff, sorry...
shewolf, that sounds like the floors in this house. Poured by people who don't know better hired by the most scummy of contractors for the most scummy of developers. What part of the word level don't you understand? Not to mention mix proportions. She says, with eyes whirring, saliva drooling. Today's episode was another example of level being mightily misunderstood.)

Back to Bella, hope your finger is feeling better by the hour...
0 Replies