Obama is against gay marriage.

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:43 am
Re: Obama is against gay marriage.
Miller wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I never realized that Obama was such a homo-phobe. Just look at this statement he made!

Quote:
Now, I realize that for some Americans, this is an important issue.
And I should say that, personally, I do believe that marriage is
between a man and a woman.

I hope all those Obama supporters realize that he does not support gay marriage and is opposed to homosexuals getting married.

according to some on A2K, context is not important. Only what one has said.

Please provide us with the SOURCE, so we can read the entire
publication.

Miller, click the word "statement" which is in blue.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:46 am
Obama should realize many Christians support gay marriage as dictated by their faith. Maybe he does realize that. As for his states rights position on gay marriage the US Constitution overrides state laws that defy the Constitution. The Constitution guarantees equal rights under law and if that didn't include gay marriage rights there would be no need for a Marriage Amendment.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:46 am
Lash wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It isn't an analagous situation to the KKK example I posted?

One can have a personal issue with something, without feeling that their personal issue should drive public policy. Can't they?

Cycloptichorn

Not on these pages.

Why don't you (the collective you) feel the same way about Obama saying it, as you do some Christian on a Homophobe thread. Many of them share the same views with Obama. Equality.

Answering as the collective me, I don't have a problem with politicians or people in general having a personal religious belief that goes against mine, unless they start trying to force that belief on the american people. In the case of Obama, though I don't share his faith, his position on the issue is one that I agree with. I might argue that they're wrong, but in the end it doesn't matter as long as they are not trying to affect an outcome that is one of inequality.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:47 am
Yes Setanta should be commended for being the first poster to actually link the full context of inhofe's comments. It was greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:47 am
DrewDad wrote:
...talking about the "towelhead" incident.

Now that's a dam racist statement if I ever heard one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:48 am
Quote:
Not on these pages.

Why don't you (the collective you) feel the same way about Obama saying it, as you do some Christian on a Homophobe thread. Many of them share the same views with Obama. Equality.

I feel that Obama is arguing from religious reasons why he feels the way he does. And I don't think there is a problem with that per se; just that those who support making policy based upon their religious reasons are incorrect for doing so.

Though who knows, hell, maybe he is a homophobe. I don't know the guy, so who can say for sure? It's one of the problems with discussions like this; you can't say for sure what someone's motivation is, only what their actions are.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:02 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Don't go trying to add context. This is about the quote above. When you try to add context, you tend to change what a quote says. Especially if it says something you are opposed to. Take a look at the inhofe quote and the discussion about context on the homosexual marriage thread.

I did. In the Inhofe case, the context affirmed that Inhof believes in protecting traditional family values, and that denying marriage to gays is one way to do it. The context didn't add much to the information the short quote conveyed. Your Obama snippet, by contrast, does not convey that he considers the amendmend a red herring, and that he will vote against it.

But you know that, don't you?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:03 pm
Miller wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Countdown to guessing who's alter the coffee cup is. I'm thinking it's Harper #9. But, it could be MOAN. I shall investigate. Very Happy

Meanwhile, cyclo.

I think we've heard other people say the SAME stuff as Obama, and many people here have been comfortable saying that all those who oppose gay marriage must be homophobic.

I don't see how anyone can exclude Obama from that. But, no response necessary if you've said all about it that you care to.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:06 pm
Thomas wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Don't go trying to add context. This is about the quote above. When you try to add context, you tend to change what a quote says. Especially if it says something you are opposed to. Take a look at the inhofe quote and the discussion about context on the homosexual marriage thread.

I did. In the Inhofe case, the context affirmed that Inhof believes in protecting traditional family values, and that denying marriage to gays is one way to do it. The context didn't add much to the information the short quote conveyed. Your Obama snippet, by contrast, does not convey that he considers the amendmend a red herring, and that he will vote against it.

But you know that, don't you?

But you didn't know what the context was, and to some, it didn't matter. It only mattered that a Repbublican sounded anti-gay marriage.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
But you didn't know what the context was, and to some, it didn't matter. It only mattered that a Repbublican sounded anti-gay marriage.

Specifically, you quoted me as one an example of those who don't care about context. But as you could have figured out by reading my post I asked Foxfyre a question: "which context would redeem a sentence like this?" She couldn't come up with one. And sure enough, when the context was delivered, it didn't change my opinon of the snippet. I think it was a fair representation of Inhofe's whole speech.

It was you, not Cyclo or Think Progress, who quoted your political opponent out of content when the content would have made a difference.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:15 pm
Yes Thomas, I did so on purpose.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:15 pm
Lash wrote:
Miller wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Countdown to guessing who's alter the coffee cup is. I'm thinking it's Harper #9. But, it could be MOAN. I shall investigate. Very Happy

Meanwhile, cyclo.

I think we've heard other people say the SAME stuff as Obama, and many people here have been comfortable saying that all those who oppose gay marriage must be homophobic.

I don't see how anyone can exclude Obama from that. But, no response necessary if you've said all about it that you care to.

Haha, I doubt Miller is Harper #9; he/she is making fun of troll Mortkat #4's use of the racist term 'towelhead' which caused a stir a few days back in another thread.

As for the other issue, you can exclude Obama from that because he doesn't oppose gay marriage! There's a difference between holding personal beliefs and opposing something.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm
That sounds like Dem doublespeak.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:19 pm
I'm patiently waiting for any of the liberals on here to step up and admit that Obama is a bigoted homophobe for believing that marriage is between a man and a woman. After all, I have been repeatedly referred to in the same manner even though my views are much the same as his appear to be. I too would support a contract/civil union for gays that would extend most if not all of the rights the government allows for married couples. Yet Debra, the many reincarnations of Harper and others still insist I am a bigot and a homophobe. Maybe if I change my name to Obama and become a democrat my views will be granted a measure of tolerance that democrats claim to be famous for. Naw, they'll probably just point at me and say something about a wolf in sheep's clothing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm
Miller's not going to be pleased that she's commented negatively on something the deadcat posted. She's posted that he's a genius Cool

~~~~~

Lash, watch for a pm.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:23 pm
Re: Obama is against gay marriage.
McGentrix wrote:
Miller wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I never realized that Obama was such a homo-phobe. Just look at this statement he made!

Quote:
Now, I realize that for some Americans, this is an important issue.
And I should say that, personally, I do believe that marriage is
between a man and a woman.

I hope all those Obama supporters realize that he does not support gay marriage and is opposed to homosexuals getting married.

according to some on A2K, context is not important. Only what one has said.

Please provide us with the SOURCE, so we can read the entire
publication.

Miller, click the word "statement" which is in blue.

OK
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:23 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I'm patiently waiting for any of the liberals on here to step up and admit that Obama is a bigoted homophobe for believing that marriage is between a man and a woman. After all, I have been repeatedly referred to in the same manner even though my views are much the same as his appear to be. I too would support a contract/civil union for gays that would extend most if not all of the rights the government allows for married couples. Yet Debra, the many reincarnations of Harper and others still insist I am a bigot and a homophobe. Maybe if I change my name to Obama and become a democrat my views will be granted a measure of tolerance that democrats claim to be famous for. Naw, they'll probably just point at me and say something about a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Well, I don't know about others, but anyone who supports civil unions would not be someone I would consider bigoted or homophobic. To me it's all wordplay anyway. Marriage, civil union, it's all the same to me. But then again, I only think of it in terms of the legal system which is where I would have thought that it matters. And since I was just called a flaming liberal on this very thread, I feel qualified to answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:25 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I'm patiently waiting for any of the liberals on here to step up and admit that Obama is a bigoted homophobe for believing that marriage is between a man and a woman. After all, I have been repeatedly referred to in the same manner even though my views are much the same as his appear to be. I too would support a contract/civil union for gays that would extend most if not all of the rights the government allows for married couples. Yet Debra, the many reincarnations of Harper and others still insist I am a bigot and a homophobe. Maybe if I change my name to Obama and become a democrat my views will be granted a measure of tolerance that democrats claim to be famous for. Naw, they'll probably just point at me and say something about a wolf in sheep's clothing. (emphasis added)

The portions i've highlighted have a point. It appears that you insist that all "liberals" here can be condemned for the actions of "Harper and others"--but you don't name the others, or otherwise claim that you have been so treated by all "liberals" here. Even if you named "others" who were allegedly guilty of such behavior, you'd only have demonstrated that Harper and those named others had done this, not all liberals. That's quite a broad brush you're painting with there.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:25 pm
Well, just to set the record straight FD, I don't think you are a flaming liberal. More like a nice roaring warm fire of a liberal. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:30 pm
How about a slightly heated liberal? Lukewarm liberal? Toasted liberal? Well, only after 5 o'clock.
0 Replies