CIA Protected Nazi War Criminals

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:36 pm
Documents show post-war CIA covered up Nazi war crimes

By Shmuel Rosner, Haaretz Correspondent

The United States was aware that West Germany held information on the whereabouts of Adolf Eichmann in the 1950s, but chose to keep the matter secret, fearing that the arrest of the Nazi fugitive might lead to
embarrassing revelations about links between senior German officials and other Nazis.

This information, as well as the pressure that West Germany applied on the Central Intelligence Agency in order to prevent the leak of this sensitive information, is detailed in hundreds of newly declassified documents released by the U.S. government Tuesday.

The government released a total of 27,000 CIA documents related to Nazi war crimes during World War II on Tuesday morning. The documents include information on the employment of Nazi war criminals by the American intelligence agency.

The documents were declassified as part of an interagency effort to release material related to Japanese and German war criminals during World War II. Since the work commenced in 1999, more than eight million documents have been released.

The material released Tuesday documents many cases in which former SS members were employed in Germany and other countries for espionage purposes. In one case, a team of agents, manned by a number of war criminals, was deployed in Germany under the code name "Pastime." Its mission was to provide the U.S. with intelligence from Germany in case of
a Soviet invasion.

Timothy Naftali, a historian from Virginia University and author of a paper summarizing the material in the released documents, wrote that they contribute significant details to information previously known.

The new material, he said, provides information suggesting that West German intelligence could have arrested fugitive war criminal Adolf Eichmann during the 1950s, but was wary of the effect that such an action could have on then minister Dr. Hans Globke, director of the Federal Chancellery.

Globke, a former senior Nazi and close associate of then chancellor Konrad Adenauer, was one of the authors of the Nuremberg Laws in the 1930s. But in the 1950s, according to Naftali, he was the chancellor's main contact person with American intelligence.

According to the declassified documents, a German intelligence officer reported to the CIA in March 1958 that Germany had known since 1952 that Eichmann lived in Argentina under the pseudonym "Clemens." The information was not entirely accurate, as the name Eichmann used at the time was "Clement."

However, the CIA chose not to make use of the information.

Israeli intelligence officers who have published their memoirs have written that Israel knew that Eichmann lived in Argentina by 1957, but lacked any information regarding his pseudonym.

According to Naftali, the Israeli agents gave up their search for a while, because without a name, it was difficult to locate him in Argentina.

The documents also reveal that the CIA, in response to a West German request, asked Life Magazine, which planned to publish Eichmann's memoirs in 1960, to delete any mention of Globke from them.

Eichmann had been arrested by Mossad agents earlier that year, and his family sold his memoirs to the magazine to pay for his legal defense.

Allen Dulles, then head of the CIA, wrote in September 1960 to his counterpart in West Germany assuring him that a "minor" mention of Globke in the memoirs would be deleted, pursuant to the CIA's request.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,807 • Replies: 104
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:48 pm
Talk about old news! That various parts of the U.S. government de-Nazified and gave a clean bill of health to a number of Nazis was known as early as 1948, fifty-four years ago. Some of those forgiven their past associations and crimes came to the United States and worked for the U.S. government. Others continued as part of intelligence networks operating behind the Iron Curtain in East Germany and elsewhere. Some were put to work reorganizing and rebuilding the shattered cities of Germany.

Most of them are dead now. That shouldn't stop us from digging them up and crushing their bones in retribution. There were Americans back in the mid-20th century who claimed they would never be satisfied until every German and Japanese unto the fifth generation was made to suffer as much as their victims. Truman, Eisenhower and LBJ just betrayed all the heros who fell fighting the Axis by coddling their children and grandchildren.

Sure, its clear that the CIA is EVIL, and probably is run today by modern Gestapo Officers.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:57 pm
Asherman, yup. Hitler's American partners rule.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:08 pm
If you truly believe that, then it seems you have several options:

1. You could preach your position from every forum available to you, and try to persuade the American Electorate of the truth of your conviction that the United States is governed by "Hitler's American partners". Since that's failed, and the argument that the elections are rigged anyway, this doesn't seem like a very effective way to resist American crypto-Nazism. If you are correct in your analysis, then you might be arrested at anytime.

2. You could "disappear" into a secret concentration camp where dissidents are systematically tortured, and murdered. This would probably be as a result of the secret police breaking down your door at 2 a.m. and spiriting you away before dawn.

3. You could escape from the nightmare world and set up a government in exile from which to launch attacks against the illegitimate and criminal government of the United States. I don't think you would be welcomed in Canada these days, but there will always be a home for your resistance movement in Yemen, or Iran.

4. You could form a cell of freedom fighters to carry out guerrilla operations and sabotage to further hamper the dictatorship. This would make you and your group "terrorists", so any open support you give to them is really self-serving against the day you may be in the Dock accused of blowing up railway bridges, or whatever. The Weather Underground financed its resistance to the Madman LBJ by holding up banks, and blowing up police cars on the streets.

5. You could be wrong, and the United States Constitution is still in effect and the nation is being governed accordingly ... even though you don't personally approve. I urge you to seriously consider this option, because it is the one most likely to be correct. Only time will tell, and you won't have been the first to believe that the President is a scoundrel bent upon dreams of personal power and empire without the constraints of the Constitution. Since at least 1800 that's been the partizan's argument against every President. On the other hand, isn't it about time to grow up and accept that every administration operates, as well as it can, on principles that are not shared by everyone. Tough, but thats life.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:21 pm
Mr. Asherman, sir- Have you ever heard the claim that American Doctors invented AIDS in the laboratory and with the help of American Agencies went to Africa to inoculate African babies with the AIDS virus? There are some lunatics who actually believe that. Of course, the impetus behind their belief of such a ridiculous idea is inextricably linked to their life style.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:45 pm
Who can keep up with all of the ridiculous conspiracy theories that some folks believe to be true. Yeah, I heard that one way back when AIDS was only beginning to be seen in Africa. Folks always seem to need a scapegoat for anything they regard as negative. It doesn't have to be that way.

If you want to improve things, then improve your self. Avoid using language that demeans, or that exaggerates the facts. Sometimes that's hard to do, because Reducio ad Absurdum is such a temptation. If I hear "strawman" another time or two, I may have my self committed to an asylum where the term is absolutely unknown. Make your points clear and simple. It isn't necessary to respond to every dinky little post, or error made by others. Pick your ground carefully, and then be sure as you can that you've covered all the bases in a non-threatening way. There is NOTHING to be gained by engaging in a continuing battle of insults with others. Ignore them if you must, just don't tell us about it.

BTW, I suppose you are "respecting me" by calling me Mister. I appreciate it, but its not necessary. I'm very content with just a simple, "Ash".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:29 pm
blueflame :
i can understand your being astonished , perhaps even being dismayed at the connection between former nazis (serving in the germen government post WW II) and american government entities - perhaps it would be more accurate to say western allied governments , the united states , great britain and france .
having lived through those years after WW II as a teenager and later done a fair amount of reading about that period in german history and the politicians involved , it is not at all surprising to me .

perhaps i should note that those nazi officials and also some generals did not fall into the category of major war-criminals - at least not at that time .
they were mainly considered 'cogs in the wheel '.

keep in mind that the soviet-union quickly ceased to be an ally of the western powers . germany was certainly considered a buffer between the soviet union and the western nations (not just of europe but of the world).
it was therefore of some importance to the westren nations (through the allied military government) to re-establish some semblance of government in germany quickly .

i doubt that dr adenauer (the first german chancellor after WW II) was selected or predestined by the military government for this post .
as a matter of fact , the british mil. govmt relieved him of his first post as mayor of cologne .
adenauer - despite being 69 years old in 1945 - managed to put himself into the front of the 'christian-democratic union' and take over the leadership . he certainly knew the fine art of 'self-promotion' !

it seems fairly clear to me that the military government felt that dr adenauer was a german politician that thay could work with . there also was enough popular support in germany for dr adenauer .
so on august 14 , 1949 (the first german election after WW II for a new parliament) dr adenauer was elected chancellor (bundeskanzler) as a leader of the christian democratic union .

what seemed to be of utmost importance was to put together a government that was both creditable and had some staying power .
dr adenauer did not automatically exclude anyone who might have been tainted by his past from serving in his government .
i remember very well that many social-democrats - the official opposition - were appaled by some of the people he chose to serve in government . dr adeneuer seemed to be a pragmatist , he looked for talent where he could find it .

from today's point of view , some of his actions are perhaps questionable.
as i stated earlier , the soviet-union was on the doorsteps of germany and europe and perhaps the rest of the western world . the re-establishment of a (moderately) strong germany was therefor of importance . keep in mind that germany as a whole could have landed up under the control of the soviet-union , certainly a frightening thought for the western nations .

in may 1954 germany became a member of NATO , one of dr adenauer's personal triumphs .
in september 1955 dr adenauer was invited to vist the soviet-union and was received quite cordially .

in october 1963 , at the age 87 (!) he he resigned as chancellor , after having "led germany out of the morass" as some said .
(btw we had left germany in 1956).

most of the books i have dealing with that time period are in german , but there are some excellent books about that time written by american and briish historians also - , i wish i had the time to read tham all .

(hope this is of some interest to you and pls excuse any errors i may have made ) .
hbg
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:30 pm
CIA Admits Long Relationship
With WWII German
Gen. Reinhard Gehlen
By Maria Alvarez - The New York Post
9-24-00

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (UPI) - The Central Intelligence Agency has for the first time confirmed that a high-ranking Nazi general placed his anti-Soviet spy ring at the disposal of the United States during the early days of the Cold War.

The National Archives said in a release Wednesday that the CIA had filed an affidavit in U.S. District Court "acknowledging an intelligence relationship with German General Reinhard Gehlen that it has kept secret for 50 years."

"The CIA's announcement marks the first acknowledgement by that agency that it had any relationship with Gehlen and opens the way for declassification of records about the relationship," the National Archives said.

Gehlen was Hitler's senior intelligence officer on the Eastern Front during the war and transferred his expertise and contacts to the U.S. as World War II reached its climax. While Gehlen's relationship with U.S. intelligence during the 1940s and 1950s has been the topic of some five books over the years, the eventual release of CIA documents pertaining to the development of his European spy ring could shed new light on the origins of the Cold War and early U.S. espionage efforts against Moscow.

Gehlen's network of agents in Europe - including many with Nazi backgrounds who were bailed out of prisoner of war camps by U.S. intelligence officers - was known as the Gehlen Organization and received millions of dollars in funding from the U.S. until 1956.

The CIA's acknowledgement of its dealings with Gehlen came in a response to an appeal of a Freedom of Information Act request by researcher Carl Oglesby, the National Archives said. The agency pledged to release its records on the general in accordance with the Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act.

The Act established the Nazi War Criminal Records Interagency Working Group (IWG), which for more than two years has been declassifying documents related to World War II war crimes and releasing them through the National Archives.

"This shows that the law is working," said former Rep. Elizabeth Holtzman, a member of the IWG. "We now must work closely with the Agency to follow through with the release of these records." _____

Copyright 2000 by United Press International. All rights reserved.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:41 pm
that sure was all fair game .
both sides were not shy in using ex-nazis and former german generals
"to achieve their targets " .
while the united states rolled ou the red carpet for dr von braun , the soviet union welcomed many german scientists that had worked in german labs trying to develop an atomic bomb (and by their own accounts were treated like celebrities).
it' s always a game , isn't it ?
but who is the winner ?
hbg
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:52 pm
Wernher von Braun

And what is it that put America in the forefront of the nuclear nations? And what is it that will make it possible to spend 20 billion dollars of your money to put some clown on the moon? Well, it was good old American know-how, that's what. As provided by good old Americans like Dr.Wernher von Braun .

Gather round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun,
A man whose allegiance
Is ruled by expedience.
Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown.
"Ha, Nazi Schmazi," says Wernher von Braun.

Don't say that he's hypocritical,
Say rather that he's apolitical.

"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.

Some have harsh words for this man of renown,
But some think our attitude
Should be one of gratitude,
Like the widows and cripples in old London town
Who owe their large pensions to Wernher von Braun.

You too may be a big hero,
Once you've learned to count backwards to zero.
"In German oder English I know how to count down,
Und I'm learning Chinese," says Wernher von Braun.

Tom Lehrer

http://www.casualhacker.net/tom.lehrer/the_year.html#braun
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:52 pm
Its just that some folks are convinced that politics can/should be better and more virtuous than men. Actually, its the opposite. Most men are more consistently faithful to their principles than governments are. Any government that does not maintain an effective, believable military is at a disadvantage in diplomacy. Without the ability to enforce a treaty, it has little chance of lasting long. Some individuals and organizations truly believe that "Might Makes Right", and they use force to blackmail and coerce others. Some despise the peacemaker, the advocate of compromise, and those who play "by the rules". That is, unfortunately life in the political world, whether it be your local school board, the Senate of the United States, Tehran, the U.N., or in a secret cave somewhere along the Afghan/Pakistani border.

We should aspire to more, but being better, more virtuous, etc, counts for nothing if the nation is defeated by forces antithetical to your fundamental principles.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:08 pm
asherman :
looking back we all might have done certain things differently .
i'm sure you remember that old joke about trying to clean the swamp when the alligators are snapping at you ... i'm having a 'senior moment' - i know the story but have trouble finding the right words again.
take care !
hbg
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:32 am
Ash- I am stunned. First I find out that the US was filled with Nazis. Then I read that the State Department was loaded with Commies. After that, I hear that the USSC was poisoned by its interaction with pederasts. A few years ago, I was told that the people at the Department of the Interior( Forestry Section) engaged in serial rapes of innocent sheep. Have we lost all of our innocence? Must I really flee to Cuba to find a country which is straight and moral?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:21 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Wernher von Braun

And what is it that put America in the forefront of the nuclear nations? And what is it that will make it possible to spend 20 billion dollars of your money to put some clown on the moon? Well, it was good old American know-how, that's what. As provided by good old Americans like Dr.Wernher von Braun .

Gather round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun,
A man whose allegiance
Is ruled by expedience.
Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown.
"Ha, Nazi Schmazi," says Wernher von Braun.

Don't say that he's hypocritical,
Say rather that he's apolitical.

"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.

Some have harsh words for this man of renown,
But some think our attitude
Should be one of gratitude,
Like the widows and cripples in old London town
Who owe their large pensions to Wernher von Braun.

You too may be a big hero,
Once you've learned to count backwards to zero.
"In German oder English I know how to count down,
Und I'm learning Chinese," says Wernher von Braun.

Tom Lehrer

http://www.casualhacker.net/tom.lehrer/the_year.html#braun

America owes a lot to Dr. von Braun.
He has my hi esteem and my gratitude.

He really WAS apolitical, as the song says.

During WWII, it wud have been suicidal of him to even hint
that he did not support the war or the Reich.
He was too smart for that.

Wud the author of the song have done differently,
in that position ?
David
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:12 am
Allen Dulles history would make a great movie. "Allen Dulles, Nazis, CIA

Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg once stated that "The Dulles brothers were traitors." Some historians believe that Allen Dulles became head of the newly formed CIA in large part to cover up his treasonous behavior and that of his clients. http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:-s3IHng5iKsJ:www.panshin.com/trogholm/secret/rightroots/dulles.html+allen+dulles+hitler+1933&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&ie=UTF-8
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:22 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Allen Dulles history would make a great movie. "Allen Dulles, Nazis, CIA

Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg once stated that "The Dulles brothers were traitors." Some historians believe that Allen Dulles became head of the newly formed CIA in large part to cover up his treasonous behavior and that of his clients. http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:-s3IHng5iKsJ:www.panshin.com/trogholm/secret/rightroots/dulles.html+allen+dulles+hitler+1933&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&ie=UTF-8

Dulles did a nice job; a creditable job.

Blueflame likes to sling mud.

David
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:34 am
"Dulles did a nice job; a creditable job." That's one opinion. Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg once stated that "The Dulles brothers were traitors." That's another opinion.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:48 am
Let 's try it this way:

Blueflame and Goldberg were traitors.

How 's that ?

David
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:55 am
Of course OmSiig gotta ignore the substance of the Dulles article.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:43 am
Om Sig- You can't ignore the substance of the Dulles Article. Why, that's as bad as ignoring the substance of the idiocy peddled with regard to the etiology of AIDS. You do remember, I am sure, the furious efforts of the more rabid members of the homosexual community to show that AIDS was created by American Doctors in the laboratory, thus showing that the US government, as hateful as always, wanted to destroy innocent people in the name of outdated religious beliefs.

Now that the evidence has clearly shown that the HIV virus originated in Africa at least as early as the late fifties whereas the American Doctors who supposedly created the Virus were suspected to have designed it in the early eighties, the purveyors of that myth are flummoxed.

And as for the Dulles Book, On Sig, I read an old copy and threw it in the circular file along with the book that FDR had set up Pearl Harbor. I class this unproven and unprovable garbage with the tales of people who claim they have been kidnapped by aliens.
0 Replies