Done having kids......or not?

flushd

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:21 pm
Pull & Shoot?
Is that another way of saying the 'pull-out method'?

Basically, having sex bare-back, and then pulling out before coming?

You might end up with another kid whether you'd like one or not! :wink:

p.s. That last post was funny Chai. lol. It gets me all riled up when women who have kids suddenly think I should have a kid too. Like somehow the fact that they have a baby is gonna make me want one?! psshaw. If or when I want one, it's gonna be despite the fact of seeing post-prego moms!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:38 pm
LuckyLad, in another thread you state you want your wife to be more interested in sex. Well nothing kills a woman's interest in sex faster than poopy diapers, mid-night feeds and the screams of a needy baby. Why not just do the old fashioned condom thing until you get snipped?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:43 pm
For that matter (I hadn't seen that, GreenWitch), nothing kills a woman's interest faster than the distinct possibility of getting pregnant when she's not at all sure she wants to be... and as flushd said, "pull and shoot" is, well, a crapshoot. There are semen in the pre-cum, too, they don't all wait in the wings until the actual shooting.

(And I'm an equal-opportunity "um that's not foolproof" cynic when it comes to various types of birth control, up to and including birth control pills when people have said, "there's no chance, right...?" An amazing number of people think that any type of birth control [especially the surgical types] = no chance.)
0 Replies

LuckyLad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:33 am
Yes I cry when I don't get any for a while, but that is a minor issue compared to having another child. But I never thought about her not being in the mood cause of getting pregnant.....good point. Maybe she doesn't want to tell me the truth, that she doesn't want another child.

Good points! Thanks
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:30 pm
Chai--

Ever noticed that a man getting vasectomy (Dr. Office Surgery) is much more heroic than a woman getting her tubes tied (major surgery under full anesthesia)?

I think the phenomenon is related to strong men turning pale at the thought of getting a dog--or a tom cat--snipped.

Get it through your head, masculinity is so powerful that all women must be told that vasectomies will "correct" themselves.

It's a guy thing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:05 am
I believed in Zero Population Growth and told my former husband -- believe it or not, he was a medical school professor when we met -- that I wanted just two children.

Unfortunately, birth control pills did not agree with me, they made me depressed prior to my marriage. Looking back, I made a mistake not to try them again, after my two older kids were born.

I wanted to use a diaphragm. My ex said his sister got pregnant twice with one and I said it was her fault for not using the gel (it turned out I was right). Something convinced him that condoms were more effective and since he doesn't listen, he insisted on condoms. (Yeah, what man takes condoms over a diaphragm?)

Well, our third child was the result.

I hate to see today's large families particularly in light of global warming, limited resources, etc. This trend toward 3, 4, 5 and more is suicidal.
0 Replies

LuckyLad

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:54 pm
Globial warming and limited resources is a bunch of crap, if you ask me. It's a cycle, nothing you can do about it. Limited resources? Not with corn and grain sorghum. The trick is getting people to buy it instead of oil.

Not bashing, but every time I hear this crap I get "lit up".

My area is definitly not over populated, that is the least of my worries. Bringing a child into the world to enjoy everthing is what it is all about.

My wife & I don't like to take showers with rain coats on, so we also don't like condoms.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
Hi Lucky Lad!

Have you decided if you were going to go for another baby?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 03:59 pm
Lucky -- I get incensed every time I see a woman, pregnant with her fifth child or when the state trooper, who just died on the highway and who was the father of seven, is praised for being a good father. I don't care how many softball games he attends, no good father has seven kids.

And, if you don't believe in personal responsibility and the scientific reality around you, then have a vasectomy. It's the right thing to do.
0 Replies

LuckyLad

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 05:36 pm
Yep, we're done having kids. Plan on getting "cut" this December when the busy season is over. (I farm and can't take time off for this until then).

We talked it over and decided we were happy with 2, we also decided to talk about it in a few months just to make sure.

Thank you all for your comments, I really do appreciate it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 07:12 am
plainoldme wrote:
Lucky -- I get incensed every time I see a woman, pregnant with her fifth child or when the state trooper, who just died on the highway and who was the father of seven, is praised for being a good father. I don't care how many softball games he attends, no good father has seven kids.

And, if you don't believe in personal responsibility and the scientific reality around you, then have a vasectomy. It's the right thing to do.

I get incensed when a state trooper dies on the highway, period.

In addition, I don't get incensed, but extremely annoyed at people who feel they can make such blanket statements.

One of my neighbors has 8, yes 8 children.

The oldest lives in Chicago and she's an engineer.

The next down just graduated from Yale summa cum laud this year, is taking a year off to intern, then he will be going to University of Texas law school

The next son went 2 years to the University of Hawaii, and is now in his Junior year at UT

The 4th, another son, is a freshman at UT

There's a boy and a girl in highschool and the 2 youngest, another boy and girl, are in grade school...they are showing the same promise.

The 2 older boys worked each summer for my husband, and now the highschool boy helps out a few hours a week.

They are all polite and very intelligent, and the world will be a much better place because of them. Not one druggie amongst them.

The ones who went/are going to college were all on scholarships and grants, this isn't a rich family. The money from these sources will more than be repaid by their future accomplishments.

I've watched these kids grow up almost directly across the street from me. In all the time I've know them, I never heard a raised parental voice or any screaming matches between siblings.

Are they "the perfect family"? Of course not, everyone has problems. But even I, who never wanted kids can say that just because someone has a lot of children, that necessarily means they are not being raised right.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 09:08 am
I agree with Chai, and I find that opinion very annoying, too.

Most of us would prefer smaller families these days, but if a couple has the means and the desire to have a large family, I think that's admirable. Growing up in a large family has some distinct advantages to go along with the obvious sacrifices.

In addition, labeling someone a "bad parent" because they have chosen to spend their lives and their resources raising children just doesn't make sense. I've found that people who want large families are generally more selfless than most of us.

I couldn't disagree with you more, plainoldme.
0 Replies

ari05

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 07:50 pm
Lucky Lad
I'm not sure how you really decide to have more. We decided not to have any more after our 3rd one, but since then have decided to adopt. So we are done having our biological kids, but are in the processing of adopting.
I guess I thought 3 was good for us, & I know we have other things we would like to do in life when the kids leave, so I wanted to make sure i wasn't too old, lol.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:06 am
There is a trend toward larger families.

The earth is beyond its carrying capacity as far as humans are concerned.

To have more than one child these days is sheer egoism and selfishness.

It is also the writing of a death sentence, if not for your children, definitely for your grandchildren.

No one's DNA is so valuable that they need to have more than a single child. Every woman on the planet ought to pledge to give birth to a single child for the next 100 years if we are to preserve life on earth.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:16 am
Yes, that's working out so well in china Rolling Eyes

well plain old me, I can see you'll have a busy weekend with your clipboard and pledge sheets, asking people to sign up.

Overpopulation is not an issue in many parts of the world, and it's an extreme problem in others.

Perhaps you'd like to take it up on this tread, listed below.

OVERPOPULATION

Obviously your proposal is too extreme to even consider implementation. Why not discuss some REAL solutions instead of jumping on a soapbox screaming "Babies bad....stop making them"
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:31 am
Chai -- Sorry you feel like shrinking from reality. Overpopulation is a problem the world over.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:38 am
plainoldme wrote:
Chai -- Sorry you feel like shrinking from reality. Overpopulation is a problem the world over.

Yes, Italy and Greece are bursting at the seams.
What I am saying is that you're simplistic solution is unviable....

Just go to the other thread....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:57 pm
What a rude thing to say. Curbing one's production is not simplistic. It is realistic. Just snip after delivery. Period.

You can leave, too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:23 pm
plainoldme wrote:
What a rude thing to say. Curbing one's production is not simplistic. It is realistic. Just snip after delivery. Period.

You can leave, too.

palinoldme....what is the bug up your ass?.....you want to talk about overpopulation, I'm trying to guide you to a thread that talks about overpopulation.

The point I'm making is that simplistic, realistic or not, it would never happen that every woman in the world is going to sign some type of "pledge" to only have one child....Women are being forced to do that in China, and it's resulting in thousands of deaths of unwanted children, expecially girls, every year.

How do you propose to induce women to get a "snip" after delivery? Which by the way, is not some minor surgery....

As a matter of fact, a close friend of mine, 6 years ago now, decided she wanted no more children, she had a little boy, 4 years old at the time. She was a nurse, so knew the medical community well, and picked a fine surgeon.
He performed those procedures laproscopically (spelling) in his office. During the surgery, while Angie was unconscious, he accidently sliced her caratoid artery. She was dead within the minute, no hope of saving her.

Now how do you tell a 4 year old that mommy isn't coming home tonight because she was going to have a little "snip", but instead she died?

Lucky Lad is taking the right route by having a vasectomy, it is indeed a much safer alternative.

plainoldme - I'm not trying to fight with you...but one really cannot just say "everyone woman ought to sign a pledge not to have more than one child" c'mon....be real.

Again, THAT's why I directed you to a more appropriate thread to perhaps revive the discussion.

Overpopulation in some parts of the world is indeed a complex issue, one that won't be solved by snipping, pledge signing, or informing a man or woman who want a child how awful they're being. I can't even convince people to wash their hands after going to the bathroom. How do you expect people not to have children?
That would have as much effect as those "purity pledges" some young women are taking.....ask chumley about that.

Your solution is not only extreme, but thoughtless and useless.

Ask any mother or father here if your telling them "don't have any more babies" is worth a tinkers damn.

Sheesh, how'd we get off on this tangent?
0 Replies

Isaac33

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:38 am
This looks like a good place for my 1st post. Smile
We have 5 kids.
The oldest is in the Army.
The next one is in college.
The one after that is going back to college this fall after working
the last 9 months.
The next one returns tomorrow from a mission trip,
She will be a Soph. in HS next year.
And the last one is 9.
Aside from my wife, HE is my best friend.
I wouldn't say I am a great parent.
Heck of a learning curve, mainly in the teenage years.
Our family also has been known to be quite vocal at times.
Maybe I am selfish. I never looked at it that way.
Most of my friends who only have 1 or 2 kids have things that I think are silly for someone my age. You know, red sports cars, big house, stuff like that.
We have a Camper on a lot at a nice quiet campground. We spend alot of weekends there doing family stuff.
If someone would have told me when I was 18 that I would have 5 children when I was 52, I would have say NO WAY. I couldn't have even have imagined being 52 then.
I wouldn't trade any of my kids for anything in the world.
Why did we have 5???
I don't know. Maybe it was because of beer.
I'm sorry.
0 Replies