American, British, & Australian Expressions/Differences

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:04 am
There are also differences between the metropolitan New York area accents, and that of a person who lives in "upstate" New York. And then again, there is the infamous Lon GIsland accent!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
There are also differences between the metropolitan New York area accents, and that of a person who lives in "upstate" New York. And then again, there is the infamous Lon GIsland accent!

Yeah, I know J_B and Phoenix, I was just trying to keep it simple Boston and Lon giland sound nothing alike Laughing ....do you know people who can't hear the difference between Aus and Brit accents?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:13 am
I don't have any problem distinguishing between Oz and England, but i have often mistaken South Africans for Australians . . .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:17 am
hmmm, I don't know about others but I think I can usually tell the difference.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:42 pm
so what about the living room, lounge, parlour, cooker thing.....?

Lord Ellpus, we need you!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:50 pm
We had an Australian neighbor once.

He called his hose a "hose-pipe." Small parts were called "bits." Al-you-MIN-ee-um instead of Uh-LOO-mi-num.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:03 pm
OMG, for a moment I remembered hose-pipe as a really dirty name to call someone growing up...

I just looked it up in urbandictionary, and remembered it was hose bag.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:13 pm
Oh, sorry Chai.....I've only just come back to this and seen your question.

Living room and lounge.....much the same thing, really. It just depends on the personal preference. I always say "living room", and I think that most people tend to use this term.
It's the main room where you would find the couch, chairs and TV etc.

The Parlour, however, is quite an old fashioned term, usually referring to a special room, where everything is kept in pristine condition, just in case the Vicar pops round for tea.

It used to be quite common to have a room kept as a Parlour, in small working class houses, usually in mining or factory towns and cities.
The family would spend all their time in the kitchen, and the parlour would be strictly out of bounds to kids, and dusted and polished by the lady of the house, just in case she had an unexpected visitor.
Then the best china would come out of wraps, good quality tea would be retrieved from the special caddy in the larder, and the kids would be hurriedly sent down to the corner shop, in order to buy cake and biscuits.

When I was a kid, my brothers and I were taken up to see my Nan's sister in Manchester. They had a rather grand parlour, which even had a pianola in it!!
We had to take our shoes off before we were allowed in there, and it was there that I tasted my very first eccles cake. Marvellous!

As soon as tea was over, we were all ushered out and the room was tidied and polished, ready for the next visitors.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:20 pm
ooooh.....

ok then, one of my grandmothers had a parlour. It was always closed off as we would visit with her in the kitchen. When we went to that grandmothers place, we were never there more than an hour, as we went there to pick her up to spend the week with us.

I remember asking if I could go in there and getting a dubious "well.....all right....but be very careful" with a heavy Polish accent.

It was strictly look don't touch, and it seemed I'd be in there 30 seconds before it was "come out now, come out"
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:21 pm
DrewDad wrote:
We had an Australian neighbor once.

He called his hose a "hose-pipe." Small parts were called "bits." Al-you-MIN-ee-um instead of Uh-LOO-mi-num.

We say hosepipe, in the UK.

Oz and UK are very much alike with our language, terminology and spelling.

Hose in American, can also mean women's leg coverings of the nylon variety, which meet in the middle, cover the front and back bottoms and are usually pulled up to chest height. Over here in the UK, these are called "tights".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:24 pm
No, those are referred to as panty-hose.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:26 pm
So what are hose then? Are they those wonderful sheer things that get clipped at the top, but still manage to show the upper part of the thigh, that never fails to make me go "uuuuurrrrgggghhh-n-n-n" and drool a lot?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
There are items called "tights". They are much heavier than panty hose, which are usually rather sheer, and are used for dance or aerobic wear at a gym. They can be either made of either nylon or spandex.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
Bingo ! ! !
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:30 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
So what are hose then? Are they those wonderful sheer things that get clipped at the top, but still manage to show the upper part of the thigh, that never fails to make me go "uuuuurrrrgggghhh-n-n-n" and drool a lot?

Years ago, they used to make nylon stockings, (or hose) that stopped mid thigh, and were held up either by a garter belt or a girdle. I have not seen them in years, and I don't know if they even make them any more in the US.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:31 pm
I think the "Bingo" was for me. I see it has a similar effect on Set.

Tights over here, are tights. Thick, thin, sheer, knobbly, fishnet...you name it, are all tights.

They come in very handy for Siamese twin bank robbers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:32 pm
http://www.stockingstore.com/stockings/ultra-sheer-stockings.html

Hmmm.............Looks like they do, although I think that they are a specialized item!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:34 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Years ago, they used to make nylon stockings, (or hose) that stopped mid thigh, and were held up either by a garter belt or a girdle. I have not seen them in years, and I don't know if they even make them any more in the US.

I first discovered that women wore these, when using double decker buses during the mini skirt craze.
It helped me through my difficult teenage years.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:37 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
http://www.stockingstore.com/stockings/ultra-sheer-stockings.html

Hmmm.............Looks like they do, although I think that they are a specialized item!

Phoenix, I urge you to remove that link before Gus returns from his holiday. Ooh, another one!

Holiday(UK) = Vacation (USA)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:46 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We have a Britisher in the apartments. .

now there's a difference straight away Confused we'd never say Britisher, only British and of course flat not apartment Very Happy

not to mention our cars (your autos) have the engine under the bonnet and the boot at the back for luggage - I think you call that the trunk?? can't remember what you call the bonnet.
0 Replies