American, British, & Australian Expressions/Differences

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:00 am
Answers-dot-com quotes Wikipedia thus:

Quote:
A guernsey is a seaman's knitted woollen sweater, similar to a jersey, differing in that it is thicker and more likely to be hand knitted, or in having such an appearance in contrast to the latter's finer knit. It is also less detailed than a Jersey.

The traditional Guernsey, and traditional Jersey, are dyed a navy blue colour, using a dye that does not require stripping the wool of its natural oil, rendering these sweaters surprisingly water resistant. The wool is also passed through oil to make it even more resistant to water. Although patterned in the body and upper sleeves, the lower part of the sleeves are usually knit plain so that when the elbow or wrist area of the sleeve is worn through, the lower sleeves can be cut off and re-knit.

The Guernsey was first widely used in the rating uniform of the nineteenth century British Royal Navy, and as with the Jersey was named after the Channel Island of the same name.

In Australia, a guernsey is a sleeveless woollen shirt sometimes worn by rugby players. The top worn by Australian rules football players is more properly a "jumper", though it is still frequently called a "guernsey". As an extension of this tradition, the expression "to get a guernsey" is to be selected for something or to gain recognition for an achievement.

It would appear that they may not be identical garments.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:01 am
I realize the British expression "piss up" is a colloquialism but I have never understood it. Walter once posted a UK news item with "piss up" in the headline.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:05 am
Actually, it has nothing to with sports .. origianally.

A Guernsey is a Jersey, just thicker and looking "more rustical" - both terms are from the seamen's language ...

While 'Jersey' is a breed of cow, a potato, a lily, a pullover, a State in America - 'Guernsey' is just the second largest of the Channel Islands AND a sleeveless woollen shirt sometimes worn by rugby players as well as an expression: " "to get a guernsey" (to be selected for something or to gain recognition for an achievemen).

Sources: wiki and own memory
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:07 am
wandeljw wrote:
I realize the British expression "piss up" is a colloquialism but I have never understood it. Walter once posted a UK news item with "piss up" in the headline.

...."booze up" and "piss up" are both referring to a gathering where the main aim is to drink until drunk, really.

We tend to put the word "up" on the end a lot, thinking about it. Nosh up, rave up, chat up etc etc.

Don't ask me why.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:11 am
wandeljw wrote:

I quick search comes up with 'piss-up' four times mentioned in British newspapers in the last two days: Telegraph, Guardian, Independent, Times ... I'm in good company :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
Setanta wrote:
It would appear that they may not be identical garments.

Well, basketball players wear sleaveless shirts too (no doubt they're polyester, not woolen), and those are called "jerseys." They're practically indistinguishable from Australian Rules Football "guernseys" (which, no doubt, are also made of polyester or some other synthetic material).

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/images/shop2003/465.jpg

Essendon Bombers guernsey

http://bullsstore.shopthescene.com/img/product/catl/00007303-116828.jpg

Chicago Bulls jersey

I'm sure if Americans started playing footy, they'd be wearing jerseys rather than guernseys, just as American rugby players wear jerseys.

Of course, calling a jersey or a guernsey a "jumper" is pretty funny for an American, since "jumpers" are one-piece items of wearing apparel for babies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:19 am
When i see the word jumper, although i know many other English-speakers use it as a term for what i would call a sweater, i usually think of jumper cables, or just jumpers. Other English-speakers, including the Canadians, call them booster cables, or just boosters. To give some one "a jump" for the car battery, others in the English speaking world say "give a boost."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:20 am
UK: toilet, WC, loo, khazi, kludgie, bog, facilities

USA: bathroom, rest room, setters and pointers......

AUS: dunny? dunno
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:23 am
I don't know where you came up with "setters and pointers," i've never heard either used in America.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:25 am
By the way, general building contractors and architects in America use water closet or WC to indicate toilet factilities in a building plan in which the room does not include a shower or a bath.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:26 am
Setanta wrote:
I don't know where you came up with "setters and pointers," i've never heard either used in America.

I made that up Embarrassed (I've seen it in a bar somewhere) because the USA had not enough names (I could think of). Please add some more if you know them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:28 am
Any other terms with which i am familiar are a little too crude for me to want to post them here.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:39 am
In England, is the cooker the oven, the stove or both?

What is the difference between the living room, a parlour and a lounge? I was reading a book set in England recently where the mother was upset at the children calling a room one of these, as it sounded low class.

North Easterners in the US seem to have a hard time understanding that they have a definite accent and also don't always seem to be able to identify various other accents americans have...for instance, if you asked my family in New Jersey to identify whether someones accent was from Georgia, Mississippi, Texas or North Carolina, they couldn't, it all sounds the same to them.

Same I think with British vs. Aussie accents. I can tell the difference, but I've been livng elsewhere for 25 or more years. I believe more than likely, a yankee thinks an Aussie sounds British.

I find accents really intriguing.

Do the brits and aussies have trouble identifying regional accents of another country too?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:44 am
When my cousins in Germany speak to me in English, it is a very British English (I sometimes cringe). When Walter was in Chicago recently, he spoke English the same way my cousins do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Of course, calling a jersey or a guernsey a "jumper" is pretty funny for an American, since "jumpers" are one-piece items of wearing apparel for babies.

Or a sleeveless dress worn over a blouse.

http://www.commonsensepatterns.com/images/csp/542CT%20Jumper.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
To me, a jumper, in addition to being a set of cables that will help start a car in cold weather, is a kind of girl's dress. (See picture- The "jumper" part of the outfit is the part without the blouse)

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WAD7AlMcFAz30QS0ftb6ZhNozMQestLMMMPIApVY8eOZtiJatngc9PNl342xzZFL032IzOdgaaFVSHd8Qwlqm!LnDHonksqTe1rr7sjom1lA8ZbR4rZxwD7R5T56flQCNwAAAP****8/a%20jumper.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
J_B- You know what they say about "great minds"! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
Now that's funny . . .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:01 am
Chai Tea wrote:

North Easterners in the US seem to have a hard time understanding that they have a definite accent and also don't always seem to be able to identify various other accents americans have...for instance, if you asked my family in New Jersey to identify whether someones accent was from Georgia, Mississippi, Texas or North Carolina, they couldn't, it all sounds the same to them.

Even within the NE there are many differences. Boston differs from the Connecticut River valley. New York and New Jersey are both different than Boston and from each other (subtle). The NE Kingdom of Vt has a twang all its own, as does downeast Maine.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:02 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
J_B- You know what they say about "great minds"! Laughing

Laughing
0 Replies