Threats of rape.

prettyrussian

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:45 am
Thanks kitchenpete.Very kind of you to reply.I have actually already spoken to the police now.I guess you are good at cooking then.Nice to have a man who is good around the home.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:52 am
Yes - it was a nickname given to me by a colleague, as I like cooking (and I'm quite good at it, if I say so myself!).

So, what did the police say?
0 Replies

prettyrussian

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:07 pm
Well it was kind of long but I translated it as unless I was actually rape by this guy I will not be protected.Talk about prevention is better than cure.I suppose they have no evidence but I am not impressed.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:10 am
It may be frustrating, but they can hardly afford to provide protection for everybody who feels harassed or threatened. But now, when he does try to make good on his threat, you have a much stronger case should you hurt him.
I snicerely hope it's just a threat. I gather you don't go there often, but you may indeed consider letting the owner of the pub know about such behavior.
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:36 am
excuse the length.... but the law you're looking for is the Harassment Act 1997 (UK)

Quote:
England and Wales

Prohibition of harassment.

1. - (1) A person must not pursue a course of conduct-

(a) which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

Putting people in fear of violence.

4. - (1) A person whose course of conduct causes another to fear, on at least two occasions, that violence will be used against him is guilty of an offence if he knows or ought to know that his course of conduct will cause the other so to fear on each of those occasions.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it will cause another to fear that violence will be used against him on any occasion if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct would cause the other so to fear on that occasion.

or if you're in scotland

Quote:
Scotland

Harassment.

8. - (1) Every individual has a right to be free from harassment and, accordingly, a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and-

(a) is intended to amount to harassment of that person; or

(b) occurs in circumstances where it would appear to a reasonable person that it would amount to harassment of that person.

(2) An actual or apprehended breach of subsection (1) may be the subject of a claim in civil proceedings by the person who is or may be the victim of the course of conduct in question; and any such claim shall be known as an action of harassment.

(3) For the purposes of this section-

"conduct" includes speech;
"harassment" of a person includes causing the person alarm or distress; and
a course of conduct must involve conduct on at least two occasions

I would say the poilce would be obliged to investigate a crime like this, wouldn't you?

A man from the north east of the UK was jailed last year for threatning to rape a woman. He was jailed for 1 year, was given an extended licence for 4 years, and was issued with a restraining order preventing him from contacting or going anywhere near the woman for 5 years.
0 Replies

prettyrussian

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
Thanks for your replies guys.I have had no more threats from this man for a few days now so am feeling less threatened.Thanks
0 Replies