Heads Up!

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 04:13 am
It only affects the one topic where you turn off email updates. Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 08:25 am
Any possibility of removing the drek from a formerly interesting thread?

Or would that be too much trouble?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 02:54 pm
Reyn wrote:

Does that mean that there will be a way to "unbookmark" a thread to one's personal list that you no longer want to follow?

Yes of course. Which is something that can't be done with the "bookmark" posts.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 03:01 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

But is there some reason you DON'T want us to bookmark a thread so it will show up on our "my posts"? We aim to please here yanno. Smile

Because it's a worthless addition to a thread from a content perspective and thusly disrespectful to others who use the site. Replies to threads should be for content addition and not tracking.

I've not made a big deal out of it here because there's a legitimate case to be made for their personal utility, but on the future version there will be a way to save threads to a personal list thereby eliminating the need (and tolerance for) "bookmark" posts.

I understand what you're saying, Craven, though I don't agree about the "worthless" & "disrespectful" part. Sometimes a person may feel they have nothing new to add to a thread which they've been following with interest. By posting a "bm" they inform the other participants of their interest & involvement in the issue/debate, as well as insuring they receive updates. I've always seen this as a positive message, a compliment even, to the other contributors.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:58 am
I think the moral has become evident here ... sometimes a good bm is needed to clear the system ....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:01 am
Setanta wrote:
Any possibility of removing the drek from a formerly interesting thread?

Or would that be too much trouble?

Possible but please ask sparingly as we've got other stuff on our plates. A Help Desk ticket is good. Plus, there's no guarantee that someone might, once they see their bookmark post is gone, just repost it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 11:53 am
msolga wrote:

I understand what you're saying, Craven, though I don't agree about the "worthless" & "disrespectful" part. Sometimes a person may feel they have nothing new to add to a thread which they've been following with interest. By posting a "bm" they inform the other participants of their interest & involvement in the issue/debate, as well as insuring they receive updates. I've always seen this as a positive message, a compliment even, to the other contributors.

I think you have a point here and it gives me an idea for the eventual bookmarks feature. Maybe there can be a list of who's following the thread and the user can have the option to show that they are following it or not.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:10 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
msolga wrote:

I think you have a point here and it gives me an idea for the eventual bookmarks feature. Maybe there can be a list of who's following the thread and the user can have the option to show that they are following it or not.

That's an excellent idea, Craven.
Especially for those threads one follows to be more informed about a particular issue, or else simply to follow a rivetting debate that one may not feel adequately knowledgable to contribute to.
Speaking for myself, I've regularly been one of a small handful of regular contributor to particular threads, say, The Meaning of Life thread. It's always encouraged me enormously when folks report that yes, they have indeed been following the thread with interest, though they haven't been posting themselves.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:13 am
bm

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:07 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

That's a good idea.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:06 am
kkkkkkkkkooooooooooooooooollllll
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:55 pm
Just thought I'd ask, since I'm annoyed and wish we still had the old feature...

By any chance, will the new and improved A2K again have the option for designating the number of posts per page to display? We folks on dial-up sure do a lot of waiting for screen changes as we scroll through the long threads. I'd love to again be able to cut that wait time in half and display 25 to 50 posts per page as we could a few years ago.

If it isn't already an intended feature, could it be added to the wish list?

My dial-up hamsters thank you.
0 Replies

xkaitimaex

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:21 pm
Intresting.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 03:41 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Just thought I'd ask, since I'm annoyed and wish we still had the old feature...

By any chance, will the new and improved A2K again have the option for designating the number of posts per page to display? We folks on dial-up sure do a lot of waiting for screen changes as we scroll through the long threads. I'd love to again be able to cut that wait time in half and display 25 to 50 posts per page as we could a few years ago.

This is a feature that I've wrestled with for some time. The problem it creates for me is related to a core foundation of usability I hold dear which is persistent URLs.

For usability, SEO, accessibility and a host of other fundamentals, persistent URLs are a boon. Having different paging thresholds makes many different URLs for the same content, which when pasted in threads etc wreaks havoc on my work.

So I'm not sure whether I will do this. One thing I can say is that I plan for the paging threshold for the new version to be higher (probably between 25 and 50) and the site is being built much more light-weight than phpbb themes tend to be (right now it's pretty damn clean with less total page size than some individual images here on this version).
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 03:44 pm
We look forward to it, Craven. Costa Rica? Lucky you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 06:26 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

This is a feature that I've wrestled with for some time. The problem it creates for me is related to a core foundation of usability I hold dear which is persistent URLs.

For usability, SEO, accessibility and a host of other fundamentals, persistent URLs are a boon. Having different paging thresholds makes many different URLs for the same content, which when pasted in threads etc wreaks havoc on my work.

So I'm not sure whether I will do this. One thing I can say is that I plan for the paging threshold for the new version to be higher (probably between 25 and 50) and the site is being built much more light-weight than phpbb themes tend to be (right now it's pretty damn clean with less total page size than some individual images here on this version).

That alone will help a great deal. Thanks for considering it.

Another question. With the new flavor of A2K, will we still have the A2K portal? An awful lot of work went into that by a few members and there is a lot of info there. If we won't have it, I'll need to get busy saving a lot of the stuff from there that I refer to frequently.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:45 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

Another question. With the new flavor of A2K, will we still have the A2K portal? An awful lot of work went into that by a few members and there is a lot of info there. If we won't have it, I'll need to get busy saving a lot of the stuff from there that I refer to frequently.

It will still be online at a different domain.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:23 am
This is going to sound really dumb, but I have read these pages twice now. I am confused.
Since I am new, is this the new site? or the old one with plans of a new one? I have tried to follow the dates and what is being said. I guess I just don't get it. Could someone please tell me?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:22 am
This is the old one, going through growing pains until the new one is completely hatched.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:07 am
Thanks(new site suggestion in case it is not available here)
Thank you. I really like this site. There are some nice people on here and very informative topics. I think the administrator and project manager jespah has made the site user friendly. Some things I have had to look up answers on how to do on the site, but it is there if you look. There is one thing I haven't found an answer to and it could be that I am not looking in the right spot. When I am on a forum and make a post, I am put right back to the page where I have posted. That makes perfect sense to me. But, lets say I am on page 226 and I want to jump back to page 102. I can't find a way to do that. When I am on say page 226 what I see in front of me is page 1,2,3..... 224,225,226 Next. I don't know if it is possible to just jump to a certain previous page. The reason I am saying this on this announcement site is because if it isn't possible to do that then maybe (now that I understand that this is not the new complete site) they could incorporate an option on the current page someone is on to be able to do that. Like have a box where you could type a page in and it would take you there. Right now if I want to go back, I have to continuously hit the back button and that takes a long time. I also want to THANK not only jespah but all the other Veteran Members who have been kind and patient with us newbies that are really trying hard to use the site correctly. Even after the contest is over I plan to stay. I have told other people where I live (my 1st home) about this site and how informative it is. I even told my mother who speaks German about this site and plan to go over and show her how it works to the best of my knowledge (she is 80 years old). There are some of us newbies that appreciate the hard work and dedication it must have taken to make this site the way it is.
0 Replies