Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:21 am
Intrepid wrote:

Never heard of a Babdist. Anyhow, given this rationale....why do we have agnostics and atheists in Christian countries? Intelligent people make choices based on knowledge that they glean from various sources. And, before Setanta thinks he has more fodder..... atheists and agnostics are counted in the intelligent people group.

:wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:09 am
Hi Frank. I count you in those groups too. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:25 am
Hi Frank! How are you doing? How are the cats?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:26 am
My only quibble with that Bill, is that i see no reason to list religious fervor among intelligent choices.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:42 am
Setanta wrote:
My only quibble with that Bill, is that i see no reason to list religious fervor among intelligent choices.

Then don't. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:43 am
I don't. Nor do i list perfervid Jesus freaks with a penchant for retailing lies about themselves among intelligent people.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:48 am
Re: Bible vs. Science
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Even as late as 1492, people were convinced that silly old Columbus was going to fall off of the earth.

Actually, that's not true. In 1492, people believed the Earth was a sphere. They only thought Columbus wouldn't make it to India, because they thought he miscalculated the circumfrence of the Earth, which he did. It was just lucky for him there was land in the way.

People knew the Earth was a sphere back in the Medieval Ages, when monks such as Roger Bacon did scientific experiments. They were, after all, the only ones with the time to do such experiments back in those days.

The rest of your argument, however, is sound.
I should have amplified by saying "some people were convinced" as I did not mean to suggest "all people were convinced". In an earlier post (in the giant evolution thread) I corrected CI on this very point and mentioned ancient mariners et al knew the Earth was spherical.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:35 am
Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
I don't. Nor do i list perfervid Jesus freaks with a penchant for retailing lies about themselves among intelligent people.

If you call being childish intelligent, then I'd say you are a genius.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:40 am
Setanta wrote:

Such closed mindedness is not conducive to open and intelligent thinking. By dismissing what is personally distateful to you is not a particularly wise thing to do. And, me name ain't Bill. Give the doggy some kibble and smile. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:40 am
If your name is not Bill, why have you responded to the post?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:42 am
Leaving aside the lame attempt at English expression in Bill's last post, and noting that the liar has a lot of gall to call someone else childish, i would simply note that it is hilarious to see religious people complain about close-mindedness.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Setanta wrote:
If your name is not Bill, why have you responded to the post?

Like I have said before. Just because you possess bad manners doesn't mean I have to follow suit. Whatever name you used, in your childishness, it was clearly evident that you were responding to me
~Intrepid
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Hi All!

The cat (Sparky) is just fine...as am I...although my golf sucks...and my poker is not quite that good. But I've got a smile on my face and a skip to my step.

Hope all is well with all you fine, intelligent folks also.

Interesting to stop back from time to time and see the changes...of which there are very few. Twisted Evil

I do see some new names in the mix, though.

Have a good fight...and may the "better" human being win.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:44 am
Leaving aside the lame attempt at English expression in Bill's last post, and noting that a liar has a lot of gall to call someone else childish, i would simply observe that it is hilarious to see religious people complain about close-mindedness.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:46 am
No complaint. Just pointing out the obvious. People can make their own conclusions and opinions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:51 am
The religiously perfervid subscribe to a canon of revealed truth, usually alleged to have been revealed in scripture. Questioning the canon constitutes heresy. That is the very essence of close-mindedness. And your silliness, complete with sophomoric attempts to insult, leads you to accuse others of your own greatest fault.

At least you never fail to entertain, Bill. By the way, if me referring to you as Bill is childish, by that criterion, remarks about giving the doggy kibble would be equally as childish.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:05 pm
Setanta POSTED TWICE:

Quote:
Leaving aside the lame attempt at English expression in Bill's last post, and noting that the liar has a lot of gall to call someone else childish, i would simply note that it is hilarious to see religious people complain about close-mindedness.

Sticks and stones...... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The religiously perfervid subscribe to a canon of revealed truth, usually alleged to have been revealed in scripture. Questioning the canon constitutes heresy. That is the very essence of close-mindedness. And your silliness, complete with sophomoric attempts to insult, leads you to accuse others of your own greatest fault.

You know, Setanta, if you would just come out and say you don't care for the religious of this world I'd find you had some credibility (not that you care what I think). Everyone can see that you seem to have a penchant for attacking posts of the believers. You know what? Who cares what you think anyway? I don't. But I can at least say that yes, by responding to your posts I am engaging in childish activity, which I will now end with this post. Can you do the same?

And I wasn't insulting you, I was telling you the truth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:09 pm
I have never made a secret of my contempt for the religiously fanatical. As far as "agreeing" not to respond to the drivel with which you typically clog this web site, you can forget that. As i've pointed out before, i have the right, and will exercise the right, to respond to any post i see. That you call me childish is meaningless to me--i have absolutely no respect for you or your opinions based upon an ignorant adherence to a narrow view of religion and society. I consider you a homophobe and a liar, as well as a dangerous religious fanatic. If you don't like reading my posts, don't read them. Don't expect that you can bully me into no responding to the sh!t you post here, though.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:19 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Interesting to stop back from time to time and see the changes...of which there are very few. Twisted Evil
I suppose it's not the best environment in which to learn stuff, but I am sure it's far from the worst, and for me at least I perceive a net gain in my abilities and inclinations wholly outside of the win / lose / draw equation. Some of the posters I read noticeably grow over time as well, others not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:24 pm
I can go along with that to a point, Chumly. However, when dealing with the religiously fanatical, all one can learn is the extent to which a particular individual is fanatical. Unless one began knowing nothing about Chrisitianity or Islam, there is little to nothing to be learned from the fanatics at this site, who are often not as well informed about scripture and theology as those who criticize them.
0 Replies