Why do we bear children and rear them?

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:50 pm
It take us so much energy ,so much time and money to bear and rear our children.Why do we still make the choice to do that?
IS It realy worthwhile for us to sacrifice so much for our offspring?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,437 • Replies: 107
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:57 pm
Well, survival of the species dictates that we need to reproduce, as a population. I think that a portion of of the population don't really have that drive to breed. Some still do, some never do. I have a niece and a nephew by one sister and the other sister is trying for her own kids. Neither me nor my brother really have a desire to have kids of our own.
0 Replies

pangheping

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:10 pm
May be you and your brother are still too young to decide about that.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:27 pm
I agreel with LittleK, the urge/desire/necesstiy for the species to continue is huge; so much is set up for procreation to take place from orgasm to the let down sensation when a mother is breast feeding... the default setting is to have kids. Now, what happens when they're here is completely different matter, some people take to child rearing and others do the most horrendous things to children.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:30 pm
I think its prolly good brothers and sisters generally decide against it ... some things are best NOT kept in the family :wink:
0 Replies

pangheping

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:58 pm
I think it must be for their own benefits and interests of the individuals themselves that they decide to breed their children and sacrifice so much for them.
One's life time is limited and any one is doomed to die.he(she) can't pass on his(her) life after death other than to reproduce,although they can only pass on only a part of their life after death through this way.
Whatever we acheive and enjoy in this world we must first thank that our
exisitence were brought about by others(our parents) who sacrificed a lot to pass on their life to us.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:26 pm
What about children whose parents sacrificed little?

There are more than plenty of them out there.
Why not address that?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:50 pm
The primary function of any organism is to survive long enough to successfully pass its genes to the succeeding generation. For some organisms, the simple act of generating the requisite biologic precursors of regeneration is sufficient, for other organisms more is involved, up to and including relatively time-energy-and-resource consuming gestation and rearing of offspring, tending them untill such time as they, the offspring, are capable of caring autonomously for themselves and seeing to their own passing on of genes to the generation to follow them. Not all orgqanisms will successfully reproduce, but for a species to survive, sufficient numbers of that species must do so.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:59 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I think its prolly good brothers and sisters generally decide against it ... some things are best NOT kept in the family :wink:

You got kids, timber?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:07 pm
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

You got kids, timber?

Yeah, 2; one's a Field Grade Marine Corps officer, closing on his 20, with 2 kids of his own, the other is a multiply degreed and certificated Special Ed teacher, the mother of 3, the eldest of whom this year entered a major university. You?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

You got kids, timber?

Yeah, 2; one's a Field Grade Marine Corps officer, closing on his 20, with 2 kids of his own, the other is a multiply degreed and certificated Special Ed teacher, the mother of 3, the eldest of whom this year entered a major university. You?

Not a one - any special reason you ran their credentials?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:40 pm
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

You got kids, timber?

Snood-A father's pride.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:05 am
timberlandko wrote:

I knew that was gonna sound weird to someone - ya perve! <grin>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:06 am
Always good to see you on the boards, Blaise.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:16 am
BlaiseDaley wrote:
snood wrote:
... Not a one - any special reason you ran their credentials?

Snood-A father's pride.

Yup, and if it seems I'm proud of my kids, you oughtta see me get wound up about my grandkids.
0 Replies

pangheping

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:03 am
Most of the old people are proud of thier kids and grandkids,for they see thier former life reappeared in them,and this is a miracle which could not be realised if they didn't pay great effort to bring up them.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:08 am
Its a tad more simple.
We want to have kids because the want is inherited.

To elaborate:
Wanting/Not wanting to have kids not being inhereted would not work, as the people who couldn't chose would quickly outnumber those who could.
Not wanting to have kids being inhereted would not work, obviously.

Not everyone puts in big effort when they raise their kids, true. This can have an adverse effect on them, but this rule doens't seem to qualify as general. We all know of famous people with "rubbish upbringing", like (tell me if im mistaken) Oprah and Shania Twain. I think analysis of things like that becomes too complicated.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:13 am
littlek wrote:
Always good to see you on the boards, Blaise.

Thanks, eh. Good to see youse as well.
0 Replies

pangheping

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:59 am
RaceDriver205 wrote:
Its a tad more simple.
We want to have kids because the want is inherited.

To elaborate:
Wanting/Not wanting to have kids not being inhereted would not work, as the people who couldn't chose would quickly outnumber those who could.
Not wanting to have kids being inhereted would not work, obviously.

But as we know ,there are more elite women chose not to bear kids than ever before.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:42 am
snood wrote:

The same reason as , when I talk about little Bean, I drop all kinds of hints and stories about what she is doing.

A parents pride is blinding and endless.
We take any chance we can to talk about our little ones. ;-)
No matter how old they are.
0 Replies