New History Show Aims to Restore Germans' Sense of Self

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:51 am
Quote:
New History Show Aims to Restore Germans' Sense of Self

May 26, 2006

By David Crossland in Berlin

Shamed by the crimes of the Nazis, Germans regarded history as a dirty word for decades. Now the first national historical exhibition since World War Two aims to plug gaping holes in the nation's memory of its 2,000-year past with a treasure trove of relics that include Hitler's globe and Napoleon's hat. Its organizers hope the show will help answer the question: "Who are we?"

Germany's history, a 2,000-year cycle of destruction and rebirth, is going on display in June in an exhibition of 8,000 authentic objects ranging from the helmet-mask of a Roman soldier slaughtered by Germanic tribes to Adolf Hitler's giant globe.

Its aim is to provide a "visual memory" to help restore the country's lost sense of national identity, says Hans Ottomeyer, director of the German Historical Museum in Berlin where the show opens on June 2.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10y4ew5.jpg
A model of Albert Speer's "Hall of the People," the planned centerpiece of Hitler's fantasy-capital "Germania." Hitler wanted to flatten most of Berlin to create the new city. A scale model of the Brandenburg Gate in the foreground gives an idea of the hall's intended size.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10y4f9u.jpg
The German Historical Museum is housed in Berlin's oldest baroque building, a former Prussian armory on Unter den Linden.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10y4fi0.jpg
Russian soldiers pose around Hitler's globe in the Reich Chancellery in 1945. The globe, complete with a Soviet bullet inside, is a highlight of the new exhibit.

contiuned
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,585 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:52 am
Part 2
Quote:

The permanent exhibition is attracting a lot of attention because the past is such a sensitive subject in the country that started two world wars and perpetrated the Holocaust. It's also the first comprehensive show on German history since World War Two.

"The museum wants to remind, to be a place not just of shame but of information and critical self-contemplation. And of the question: 'Who are we'?" Ottomeyer told SPIEGEL.

The horrors of the Nazi period made Germans turn their backs on their country's past, and history teaching was neglected in the decades following the war, said Ottomeyer. Many Germans have only a sketchy knowledge of the centuries preceding the 20th century, he said.

"Until a few months ago I didn't know myself that before 1918 there was no such thing as German citizenship. Before then, people were citizens of Prussia or Bavaria for example," Ottomeyer said.

The exhibition stretches back to 9 AD, the date widely recognised as the birth of the German "nation," when Germanic tribes wiped out three Roman legions in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, thereby stopping the advance of the Roman Empire east of the Rhine.

"Message in a bottle"
There is an iron mask of a Roman legionnaire's helmet dug up from the site of the Teutoburg battle in Kalkriese, northwestern Germany.

Suits of armour, original paintings, priceless manuscripts, uniforms and guns trace Germany's path through the Middle Ages, the Reformation and Thirty Years' War, the struggles among the regional dukedoms and kingdoms, the 19th century drive towards national unity, industrialization, and the carnage of the 20th century.

"Its focus on authentic objects makes the exhibition special. It's like a message in a bottle to future generations," said Ottomeyer.

The 12 years of the Third Reich from 1933 to 1945 make up the biggest single part of the exhibition.

It has the 5 foot 7 inch high globe that stood in Hitler's office and symbolized his plans for world domination. The globe, which contains a bullet fired into it by a Red Army soldier who placed his pistol on Germany, was discovered in a Munich customs office. It was caricatured in the 1939 film "The Great Dictator" where Charlie Chaplin as "Adenoid Hynkel" dances around his office holding the earth in his hands in the shape of a big balloon.

Hitler's desk, hauled out of the burning chancellery by the Red Army, is also on display, along with the engine of a V2 rocket and Nazi iconography.

Also on show is a model of a crematorium in the Birkenau death camp and of the bombastic 180,000-seat "Hall of the People" designed, but never built, by Albert Speer.

Other exhibits include a 1514 painting of Charlemagne from the workshop of Albrecht Dürer, a Turkish tent from the siege of Vienna in 1683 and a steam engine from 1847.

There is the uniform of Frederick the Great, and Napoleon's bicorne hat snatched from his carriage by Prussian Field Marshal Blücher on the battlefield of Waterloo.

Growing interest in Nazi period

In the last few years, German interest in World War II and its aftermath has been growing.

Magazines including SPIEGEL have increased their coverage of the period. New books and television documentaries have focused on the suffering of ordinary Germans in bombing raids and expulsion from eastern territories after 1945.

It's a debate that was taboo for decades given the suffering Germans inflicted on others, and it's being closely watched abroad.

Ottomeyer said the country was still recovering from the historical trauma of the Nazi period. "After being silent for decades, eyewitnesses have started to talk about their experiences. There is a new questioning, and a new dialogue."

But the national memory now tends to focus on World War II. Ottomeyer wants the exhibition to show Germans more than that. "We hope its long-term view will have an effect on the general approach to history," he said.

That, he hopes, will help make Germans more aware of their identity -- a difficult subject because nationalism is tainted by Nazi crimes. But "Germany" emerged from many different regional tribes and kingdoms.

"There are many regional mentalities that only superficially merge into a national character," said Ottomeyer. The German language is the strongest unifying force, he said.

The plan for a national historical exhibition stems from 1987, when then-Chancellor Helmut Kohl founded the German Historical Museum. But the upheaval following the fall of the Berlin Wall led to numerous delays and redesigns.

Spiegel online

Link to (English) German Historical Museum
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:55 am
It's such a controversial dilemma, for any country. It raises unanswerable but obligatory questions: At what point in history, if any, did the Holocaust become "inevitable"? Is it possible to place responsibility on some aspect of German culture, rather than or in addition to the actual perpetrators of the Holocaust? Very difficult issues.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:15 am
Shapeless wrote:
At what point in history, if any, did the Holocaust become "inevitable"?

Well, ...

Quote:
The exhibition stretches back to 9 AD, the date widely recognised as the birth of the German "nation," when Germanic tribes wiped out three Roman legions in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, thereby stopping the advance of the Roman Empire east of the Rhine.

If you want to look at it from that perspective - it all started from the very beginning.

However, I don't think, the museum is just and only about the Holocaust: it is what the name says: the German Historical Museum.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:24 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
However, I don't think, the museum is just and only about the Holocaust: it is what the name says: the German Historical Museum.

Oh, I know... I was just choosing the most controversial example. Actually, what got me thinking about it was Libeskind's (not unrelated) Jewish Museum and all the debate about whether it deserves to be called a "Jewish museum," which suggests a general overview of Jewish history, and not specifically a Holocaust memorial, which suggests a very particular segment of that history.

Quote:
Quote:

If you want to look at it from that perspective - it all started from the very beginning.

Therein lies the dilemma: do we want to look at it from that perspective?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:35 am
Shapeless wrote:

Therein lies the dilemma: do we want to look at it from that perspective?

It all depends on what perpose you visit a museum - any kind of museum -, at what you focus, how you see and want to see it ... ... ...
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:53 am
Very interesting, Walter.

Quote:
"Until a few months ago I didn't know myself that before 1918 there was no such thing as German citizenship. Before then, people were citizens of Prussia or Bavaria for example," Ottomeyer said.

I find it somewhat disappointing that the a director of the German Historical Museum would not know this. Is that a result of an unfortunate error of speech or translation, or is it an demonstration of the lack of historical scholarship? (One would assume that the job requisites for such a directorship would include a formal history study.)

[I can't admit to knowing a large number of German citizens, but of the few that I have met -- it has surprised me how many of those insist that they are Bavarian first and foremost! At the time, I thought it quaint but now I'm wondering if that cultural identification is a wish to distance themselves from 20th century events.]

Hopefully, they will extend the scope to pre-Roman times, as well. So many Western traditions have their genesis there (off the top of my head, Easter/Oestre comes to mind).

I haven't looked at the link for the museum yet, but I also hope that it includes some cultural history. Perhaps if there were less emphasis on military exploits (in all national history museums, not only German) then the negative aspects of recent historical shame would be overshadowed by the positive aspects of justifiable pride.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:09 am
The director, Prof. Dr. Hans Ottomeyer, studied law, art history and history of litterature and archeology.

His two doctor thesis were both more art related.

Obviously, the job didn't require a formal history study (and even it, there's no garanty that someone got to know this.)

I must admit that even many of those who studied moder history think, in 1871/2 (or about that time) a German citizenship started.
(Howe many would know that the emperor was the commander-in-chief of all German countries .... besides Bavaria? [He was only in war time, otherwise it was the Bavarian king.])
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:12 am
It would be good to include music, foods, scientific achievements, literature, philosophy, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:15 am
talk72000 wrote:
It would be good to include music, foods, scientific achievements, literature, philosophy, etc.

If someone would bother to look at the link ... :wink:
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:20 am
Sorry, I have only a few minutes so I just check the last few posts.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:55 am
The area where Germany is now had a long and checkered history like all other European countries. In the terrible 1920s a man climbed to power by promising a lot to the suffering people.
As soon as he was elected he managed to become a dictator. The 1000-year-reich he promised lasted 12 years and his country and Europe was almost destroyed.
Let us all be careful when we vote; good government is the most important ingredient of freedom.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:36 am
Tico wrote:
[I can't admit to knowing a large number of German citizens, but of the few that I have met -- it has surprised me how many of those insist that they are Bavarian first and foremost! At the time, I thought it quaint but now I'm wondering if that cultural identification is a wish to distance themselves from 20th century events.]

No Tico, it has nothing to do with removing themselves from the atrocities of WWII. Bavarians (like me) have always had this love-hate relationship with Prussians (Walter) and to this day, we kid each other. That's all.

I think it is a good thing for every country and its people to recognize
its history and identify it. Post-war Germany has mostly done so, others
never did.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:06 am
Bavarians remind me of Quebecers, strong, gifted and loud.
They have given us the best cars, great beer, brown shirts and Strauss.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:13 am
detano inipo wrote:

They have given us the best cars, great beer, brown shirts and Strauss.

At least "brown shirts" is ... historically untrue.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:19 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:56 am
Would be a theme for a new thread, why Hitler chose Munich ...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 02:56 pm
"... a bavarian , prussian , hamburger first ... a german second ?
certainly does not apply to me . if i'm asked , i have no problem stating that i came from germany ... of course , i'll always say that i am a CANADIAN !!!
usually people don't just ask : "where are you from ?" , but engage in a bit of a talk , and i don't mind telling them that i am a CANADIAN ... and if they are curious enough , i'll tell them that i was born in germany .

certainly have never found it a problem stating that i was born in germany . white , black or purple people have never given me a hard time for having come from germany ; instead , usually it leads to an exchange of all kinds of infirmation , such as : my grandfather came from germany , visited germany in ... , was in the canadian army and stayed in kaiserslautern , love german beer , my wife came from germany ...

even with our jewish friends - many of them fled germany during the 1930's - it's never been a problem .
maybe we have been lucky that nobody has given us a hard time or the cold shoulder for having come from germany .
i think that no matter where we come from , most countries have some dark spots in their history , some may be darker than others ... but dark spots can be found any place .

i think it's best to acknowedge one's heritage and go forward from there .
hbg (a canadian , born in germany ... but always a hamburger)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:32 pm
Quote:
Merkel opens exhibition addressing Nazi past

By Tony Paterson in Berlin
Published: 03 June 2006

On an ornate four-foot high steel globe that once stood in Adolf Hitler's Chancellor's office in Berlin, a bullet hole marks the spot where the capital of the Third Reich once stood, and Germany is an expanse of bare metal blasted from the face of the earth.

The damage was inflicted by a Soviet Red Army officer who stormed the Nazi leader's headquarters in the spring of 1945. With a single shot from his pistol fired at point-blank range, he left his own mark of vengeance on the Führer's possession. The bullet can still be heard rattling inside.

The globe is one of more than 8,000 artefacts which make up what is being hailed as the most comprehensive exhibition on German history since the Second World War. The permanent display was opened yesterday by Chancellor Angela Merkel at Berlin's German Historical Museum.

The show has been described as Germany's first major attempt at historical self-assessment. Proposals were first mooted more than 20 years ago by the former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, but the idea provoked heated debate, with critics arguing that it would diminish the enormity of crimes perpetrated during the Nazi era. The mammoth exhibition - which attempts to answer the question "What is German?" - is the result of nearly seven years' work by the museum's curators and researchers. A broad sweep through 2,000 years of German history, it is displayed on 7,500 square metres of floor space.

The exhibition begins with a Roman gate, and ends with shattered sections of the Berlin Wall - a potent symbolreunification in 1989-1990. Scores of artefacts document the intervening centuries. Inevitably, the most chilling section covers the rise of the Nazis, the Holocaust and the Second World War. A model of the Auschwitz death camp stands alongside a plan of Germania - the Nazi architect Albert Speer's name for a new and bombastic capital of the Third Reich.

Hans Ottomeyer, the museum's director, described the show as "a political drama with many wars but also many attempts to find peace". He said: "It is curious, but war and peace seem to have followed each other in Germany at intervals of almost exactly 50 years."
Source
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:35 am
...as walter wrote : "If someone would bother to look at the link ... "

i did , and it is indeed an overview of german history . i'm a sucker for museums , and would certainly visit next time in berlin .
i noticed with interest that one of the exhibitions uses the word HEIMAT (i wonder if it refers to the german TV series that dealt with germany during the time slot from about the end of WW II to th70's , i believe ; we watched it on TV ontario and thought it was a good portrayal of how germans dealt with life at that time - seen through the eyes of a group of germans living mainly in the small town of "schabbach") .
hbg

http://www.dhm.de/ausstellungen/flucht-vertreibung/pics/flucht_vertreibung.jpg

link to the BBC 4 program...HEIMAT...
0 Replies