Canada's idea about Alaska

dov1953

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:03 am
Question This is really a geography question. There doesn't seem to be a Geography heading so I'm commenting here. I've always wondered if Canadians feel its unfair that Alaska belongs to the US. If Florida was a Canadian province I would feel it was unfair and it would make me resentful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,528 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:10 am
The Russians should feel burnt not the Canadians, but I get your point and lots of wars start when one nation looks at a bit of land near them and wonder why it's not theirs.

It's funny that Americans scoffed the purchase as Seward's Icebox, it worked out well for the US.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:12 am
I just looked up the price, I'd remembered that it was pitiful, $7,200,000 (or about 2 cents an acre).

I just learned that Senator Charles Sumner was also quire responisble for the successful purchase, the ratification was unlikely before he spoke in its favor.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:48 am
And furthermore, when you look at the date, Canada became independent (from 1867 onwards), when Alaska was bought by the USA (1867) ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 05:06 pm
well, i don't mind that the U.S. has Alaska. the U.S. can also happily keep Florida. i know that i don't want it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 05:09 pm
Yes, buying Alaska was one of our more benign land grabs. As opposed to most of the rest of the U.S. west...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 05:14 pm
Are you sure, ehbeth? Many of us would gladly part with Florida (and many in Florida, though probably not the majority) would likely appreciate their newfound masters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 06:47 pm
i'm sure, peppermintpatiodog. If i had to pick between the two, i'd pick alaska as it's not too crowded. and well, the idea of spring break at daytona beach - it seems just too 'murican to be part of any other country.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 09:21 am
Alaska: where the odds are good, but the goods are odd. (For the womenfolk out there.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:51 am
PAGING LITTLEK
PAGING LITTLEK

let's move to Alaska!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:28 am
Really, the goods are very, very odd. I've known some folks from that neck of the woods, all of them very... strange. AK!
0 Replies

Eauz

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 05:06 pm
I've always wished that Alaska was part of Canada. It just Makes sence. But gotta give props to the guy who bought it from Russia. I know this is almost unrealistic, but do you think it would be possible to get Alaska part of Canada? Obviously not though war, but some other way...?
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 07:55 pm
Canda and Alaska
Laughing Well, the threads of thought; it's hard to keep track of them all. 1) Are people from Yukon as nutty as the people of Alaska seem to be? 2) There actually is a way for the State of Alaska to leave the USA. I can't put my finger on the law, but since the Civil War (I think) if two thirds of the states agree, any state can leave the union. This could be nonsense, but then again I'm an American. 3) What's the deal with Prince Edward's Island? Why such an "ittsy bitsy" little island named as a Province? 4) Nunavut! You've got to be kidding. Thousands of miles of ice cubes as a Province with 25 miles of road? You guys sound like you're from Washington D.C. Dov
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:09 pm
So, spring break in Nome, Beth?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:34 pm
You rang?

I have thought about checking out the odd ends in Alaska before....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:10 am
Re: Canda and Alaska
dov1953 wrote:
3) What's the deal with Prince Edward's Island? Why such an "ittsy bitsy" little island named as a Province?

Speaking of which, I could probably eat Rhode Island and Delaware over the course of a long brunch.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:48 am
My first girl friend after I moved to Oregon was a gal from Anchorage. Alas, she left me for a guy who lived in Cleveland, if you can believe that!

I couldn't. Sniff, shiff...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 01:00 pm
How much do you want? Nunavut!

Southern Oregon and Northern California still talk
about forming a new state called Jefferson. I'm all for it,
because any state that rules the world should be cut down a notch or two.

My brother moved to Alaska because like many others,
he doesn't get along with how other states live. And with
a reverse income tax, he gets paid to live there!
Would Canada offer him a raise?

Whatever happened to splitting Canada in two? Any chance of
trying that again? Perhaps the BC'ers and the Alaskans could get together for more political clout.

Sometimes Yukon and sometimes you Kant.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 01:48 pm
Hey, CodeBorg, which state rules the world: Oregon or California?

When I was living in Oregon ('70s) the talk was of a new state for the Northwest called "Cascadia." Though come to think of it, I believe that was gonna be a new nation. Wish that had happened: We could've opted out of Project Iraqi Freedom...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 02:00 pm
The state of Jefferson would have competed directly with it's neighbor, Idaho. They have WAY too many potatoes!

Seriously, I believe secession would be a very good thing ... for ego, economy, and America's international reputation. I would consider moving there (wherever) just to show my support.

Many people who refuse to vote would probably too.

Alaska? Stunningly beautiful, just like Canada. They belong together.
0 Replies