Patrick Henry College + the Bush admin = Scary!

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 02:18 pm
Operative word in my post -- modicum.

What I mostly agree with is that there is nothing unusual -- or particularly alarming -- in the fact that a staunchly right-wing theorcratically-oriented administration would choose interns and other aides from an institution of higher learning which turns out similarly minded graduates. As it should not alarm anyone that a more liberally-minded administration would choose such aides from a left-leaning institution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:21 pm
Were one to show that such a "left-leaning" institution had as its goals the imposition of a particularist theological view on the nation, i would consider that as alarming as the example of PHC. Should anyone come up with reasonable evidence of that, i'd be willing to canvass the notion, and condemn it if plausible. I've seen no such evidence in any of the many threads at this site which discuss the putative (and to date, undemonstrated) liberal bias of institutions of higher education nor in any of the many threads which discuss the possibility of a theocratic agenda being forwarded in the United States.

In fact, one of the, if not the largest thread based upon an allegation that institutions of higher education are left-leaning was significant for an aspect of this sort of accusation which none of the conservative members were willing to discuss--least of all the author of the thread (i don't bear tales from thread to thread, and won't name the author as that member has not appeared in this thread). That is that in every case i've seen, and that thread was a glaring example, the allegation is made against "major" institutions of higher learning. This is not to be wondered at--in looking at every post-secondary school in the nation, those with a conservative bias would be obliged to consider all of the institutions such as PHC, at which point their thesis begins to fall apart.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:07 pm
uncle
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:08 pm
I am not concerneed about the right-wing connection. It's the conservative-religious views that make me shake in my boots.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:04 pm
Maybe a little humor would assuage your fears:

What If Other Religions Had Muslim Values

The comments section are also, ahem, interesting.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
Only a modicum, MA, if at all--and, typically, Finn attempts to refute what others have written by turning it on its head. For example, he says: "Suggesting that 'biblical values' are antithetical to 'American values,' is absurd." however, that is not what i wrote. PHC claims that they are " . . . prepar[ing] Christian men and women who will lead our nation and shape our culture with timeless biblical values and fidelity to the spirit of the American founding."

To that quote of their own published mission statement, i responded: "Although the rightwingnuts like to deny it, 'timeless biblical values' do not constitute fidelity to the spirit of 'the American founding.' " Finn's disingenuous tactic is to equate the denial that "timeless biblical values" are faithful to the spirit of the American founding with a claim that "timeless biblical values" are antithetical to "American values." So, in fact, Finn's drivel is what is absurd here. I made my claim about "timeless biblical values" based upon what i characterized as follows: "Timeless biblical values include support for slavery, execution of homosexuals, execution of unruly children, execution of adulterous women (apparently, adulterous men just need to find a new squeeze), bashing in the skulls of the babies of one's enemies--yeah, right, those are good old American virtues."

Finn has not seen fit to address the issue of slavery, and the execution of homosexuals, unruly children and adulteresses, and the slaughter of the infants of one's enemies as "timeless biblical values." Instead, he offered a twisted and false characterization--in short, a lie--of the criticism offered, and then called it absurd. Yes, it is absurd to lie about what someone else has written rather than to address the substance of it.

He has completely failed to address the issue that rightwing christians wish to impose their religious doctrine on a secular nation which promotes toleration and pluralism. He completely ignores that injecting "timeless biblical values" into government (and the nature of those "values" defined by a particularist Protestant fundamentalist political agenda) constitutes an imposition of doctrine on all those of religious conviction who do not subscrbe to "timeless biblical values." Instead, he revs up partisan hatred, characterizes anyone who would oppose the mission statement of PHC as a dangerous, leftwing secularists (inferentially suggesting that no one who holds "leftwing" political views could ever be someone of religious conviction), and tries to suggest that those who are not leftwing secularists would applaud and desire the imposition of such a particularist Protestant fundamentalist agenda. Finn's thesis does not recognize that there are Protestants who are not fundamentalists, and who do not necessarily subscribe to PHC's version of a "biblical world view." Finn's thesis does not acknowledge that there are large Christian communities in the United States who are not Protestants. Finn's thesis does not recognize that there are large communities in the United States with religious conviction who are not Christians.

But it is a timeless rhetorical trick of the right, and of fundamentalist christian fanatics, to offer a dichotomous, black/white, good/bad, right/left view of the world, which conveniently ignores all of the annoying petty details which one must address in a tolerant, pluralistic nation with a secular government.

Let's see, you trot out slavery, and the execution of various groups of people as examples of "timeless biblical values." You contend that "timeless biblical values" are not faithful to the spirit of the American founding. You mock "timeless biblical values" as not being anything like good old American virtues.

But you did not suggest biblical values are antithetical to American values?

Of course you did, and all of your vitriolic blather does nothing to prove otherwise.

I did not address your highly selective choices of biblical values, because there is nothing to address. Nothwitstanding your neverending assertions to the contrary, I am not a fundamentals Christian, and, in fact, no sort of Christian. That an ancient holy book that is as much a history as it is a religious tract promotes practices which 21st Century readers might find objectionable or even abhorrent, is neither surprising nor troublesome to me.

Of course what you are attempting to suggest is that fundamentalist Christians (Read PHU attendees and graduates) are somehow compelled by their faith to endorse the sort of practices that can be found in the bible because they believe it is the literal word of God.

Perhaps there are a handful of true nuts who would have the world recreated in the image of ancient Israel, but they are hardly common to the interns that PHU sends to Washington, and only an idiot would cite them as justification for fearing PHU.

Notwithstanding your desire to cast them as the modern world's bogeymen, the great majority of Christian fundamentalists do not advocate slavery or the stoning of unfaithful wives. That they do not, may call into question the purity of their fundamentalism but, surely, that's A-OK with you.

Pore over the Bible with the most critical of eyes and you will find "anomalies and contradictions" which are far more representative of a period of history than any flaw in either Judaism or Christianity.

Put aside your manic hatred of religion and you will find that "timeless biblical values," and "American values," are fairly similar. No wonder, of course, since America was founded and populated in the overwhelming majority, by Christians.

And the advancement of this notion does not require, in any way, a value judgment concerning biblical or American values. As a would-be historian, you should appreciate this, but clearly you do not.

As for ignoring "that injecting "timeless biblical values" into government (and the nature of those "values" defined by a particularist Protestant fundamentalist political agenda) constitutes an imposition of doctrine on all those of religious conviction who do not subscribe to "timeless biblical values, " I have done so only because it is of little issue as respects this particular topic.

We have gone round on this in the past.

We all come to the world with values fashioned by our upbringing, our education; our experiences. That any defined religion has played a part in that process should not only not be a matter of concern, it should be welcomed.

To the extent that anyone attempts to impose their religious beliefs on others, I am every bit as much in opposition as are you.

Should PHU graduates, at some point, attempt to require Americans to believe in Christ as their Savior or even in the existence of a God, I will be among the voices of resistance.

That PHU graduates may attempt to govern our society along the lines of their religion taught moral beliefs troubles me no more than the thought that Berkeley graduates may attempt to govern our society along the lines of their moral beliefs.

In closing, this is utter tripe:

"Instead, he revs up partisan hatred, characterizes anyone who would oppose the mission statement of PHC as a dangerous, leftwing secularists (inferentially suggesting that no one who holds "leftwing" political views could ever be someone of religious conviction), and tries to suggest that those who are not leftwing secularists would applaud and desire the imposition of such a particularist Protestant fundamentalist agenda."

Of course I did not characterize anyone who would oppose the mission statement of PHC as "dangerous." This is an absolutely false and base accusation, and typical of your impassioned rants that within their allegations display the very behavior of which you complain.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:38 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I admit this very grudgingly, but there is a modicum of reasonablness in what Finn d'Abuzz has said.

Only a modicum?

Your education must, therefore, continue.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:39 pm
JTT wrote:
With not the slightest degree of grudgininitude, I have to say I agree with most of Set's take on Finn's take. The few good points Finn made, were like always/often, attempts to paint the ugly with a veneer of platitudes.

And this makes sense?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:40 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Operative word in my post -- modicum.

What I mostly agree with is that there is nothing unusual -- or particularly alarming -- in the fact that a staunchly right-wing theorcratically-oriented administration would choose interns and other aides from an institution of higher learning which turns out similarly minded graduates. As it should not alarm anyone that a more liberally-minded administration would choose such aides from a left-leaning institution.

There is hope for you yet Merry.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 11:41 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
uncle

Pussy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:15 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Let's see, you trot out slavery, and the execution of various groups of people as examples of "timeless biblical values." You contend that "timeless biblical values" are not faithful to the spirit of the American founding. You mock "timeless biblical values" as not being anything like good old American virtues.

But you did not suggest biblical values are antithetical to American values?

Of course you did, and all of your vitriolic blather does nothing to prove otherwise.

It is not vitriolic to point out that you warped the meaning of my post in order to sneer at it. In fact, slavery was enshrined in the Constitution, along with regulation of the slave trade (to the extent that there would be no further importation of slaves after 1808) and the requirement to return slaves who had escaped. There's one timeless biblical value which the founders were apparently "down with." That you wish to make all comparison dichotomous and polar opposites does not make it so. My point was simply that those examples of timeless biblical values were not enshrined in the foundation document of our nation, apart from the tolerance of slavery, which was erased from the Constitution with the ratification of the XIIIth amendment. That you are attempting to make my post out to say what it patently did not say does not surprise me, and neither does your sneering and insulting tone.

Quote:
I did not address your highly selective choices of biblical values, because there is nothing to address. Nothwitstanding your neverending assertions to the contrary, I am not a fundamentals Christian, and, in fact, no sort of Christian. That an ancient holy book that is as much a history as it is a religious tract promotes practices which 21st Century readers might find objectionable or even abhorrent, is neither surprising nor troublesome to me.

It is not your view of the bible which is the subject of this thread--rather, it is the assertion by PHC that timeless biblical values are consonant with the values of the United States. I have not claimed that all of the "timeless biblical values" are antithetical to the values of the founders of the nation, i'm only pointing out that there are in the bible, values which cannot reasonably be asserted to have been those of the founders. The bible is no sort of reliable source of history, by the way, no more than it is a reliable source of morality.

Quote:
Of course what you are attempting to suggest is that fundamentalist Christians (Read PHU attendees and graduates) are somehow compelled by their faith to endorse the sort of practices that can be found in the bible because they believe it is the literal word of God.

No, my remarks about "timeless biblical values" were only advanced in refutation of the claim made in the PHC mission statement with regard to the values of the founders of the nation. I am quite willing to assert that the theology of fundamentalist christians in inimical to the necessary policies of a secular government which is established in a tolerant, pluralistic state.

Quote:
Perhaps there are a handful of true nuts who would have the world recreated in the image of ancient Israel, but they are hardly common to the interns that PHU sends to Washington, and only an idiot would cite them as justification for fearing PHU.

As i have not cited those parts of the bible to suggest that PHC interns would promote such policies, your attempt to inferentially call me an idiot fails. As for what is common to PHC interns, i am surprised to learn here (inferentially) of your expertise on the subject. What is the source of your detailed knowledge of the world view of PHC interns, and upon what basis do you contend that it does entail a biblical world view as is claimed in the PHC mission statement?

Quote:
Notwithstanding your desire to cast them as the modern world's bogeymen, the great majority of Christian fundamentalists do not advocate slavery or the stoning of unfaithful wives. That they do not, may call into question the purity of their fundamentalism but, surely, that's A-OK with you.

Once again, as my remarks about "timeless biblical values" was not advanced as an objection to PHC interns or graduates, this is meaningless. I do consider that fundamentalists, who do not represent all Protestants, who do not represent all Christians, and who do not represent all people of religious conviction, become dangerous to the polity at such point as they seek to impose their particularist viewpoint on a tolerant and pluralist society with a secular government.

[
Quote:
Pore over the Bible with the most critical of eyes and you will find "anomalies and contradictions" which are far more representative of a period of history than any flaw in either Judaism or Christianity.

You need to lecture the boys and girls at PHC, the mission statement of which states that a biblical worldview is to be introduced into government through the efforts of their interns and graduates. Once again, if you assert that you know better than PHC what their goals are, you need to show the source of your expertise in the matter for anyone to take seriously an inferential statement on your part that PHC's mission statement does not mean what it patently says.

Quote:
Put aside your manic hatred of religion and you will find that "timeless biblical values," and "American values," are fairly similar. No wonder, of course, since America was founded and populated in the overwhelming majority, by Christians.

I am not maic. The subject of religion simply does not come up in my life away from this web site, and is never a topic of discussion. I don't hate religion, but i do mistrust organized religion. As the citizen of a secular republic which intends to accomodate a tolerant and pluralistic society, i mistrust those who wish to impose a theologically-based world view as being inimical to tolerance and plurality. You are, apparently, very much ignorant of the extent to which Christians of all varieties at the time of the foundation of our nation wished to assure separation of church and state, in order to assure their freedom of worship. Jefferson first used the expression "a wall of separation" in a letter to a Baptist congregation, to assure them that there would be no establishment of religion in this nation. I applaud that point of view on the part of Jefferson.

Quote:
And the advancement of this notion does not require, in any way, a value judgment concerning biblical or American values. As a would-be historian, you should appreciate this, but clearly you do not.

Indeed, it does. Read the PHC mission statement once again--it is the intent of the institution to introduce "a biblical worldview" into government. That is not consonant with the furtherance of a secular government for a tolerant and pluralistic society. I have never described myself as an historian, nor as a would-be historian. It is ironic, and amusing, though, to read this from someone who opens his screed with a complaint about vitriol.

Quote:
As for ignoring "that injecting "timeless biblical values" into government (and the nature of those "values" defined by a particularist Protestant fundamentalist political agenda) constitutes an imposition of doctrine on all those of religious conviction who do not subscribe to "timeless biblical values, " I have done so only because it is of little issue as respects this particular topic.

Once again, you seem to suggest that you have special knowledge which teaches you that PHC's mission statement does not mean what it patently says. You could do us all a favor and show us your evidence to that effect.

Quote:
We have gone round on this in the past.

No, "we" have not.

Quote:
We all come to the world with values fashioned by our upbringing, our education; our experiences. That any defined religion has played a part in that process should not only not be a matter of concern, it should be welcomed.

No, it should not be welcomed. Once again, as it appears not to have sunk in with you, this is a religiously-tolerant and pluralistic society, which is why a secular government prohibited from the establishment of religion was founded. Therefore, for whatever the sources of the personal ethos of the individuals who make up the republic, the government of the republic is intended to be secular.

Quote:
To the extent that anyone attempts to impose their religious beliefs on others, I am every bit as much in opposition as are you.

Then i suggest that, once again, your read PHC's mission statement. That is clearly their intent.

Quote:
Should PHU graduates, at some point, attempt to require Americans to believe in Christ as their Savior or even in the existence of a God, I will be among the voices of resistance.

Good, you show some sense. Now go back to the link i provided for PHC, you have some reading to do.

Quote:
That PHU graduates may attempt to govern our society along the lines of their religion taught moral beliefs troubles me no more than the thought that Berkeley graduates may attempt to govern our society along the lines of their moral beliefs.

You really do need to read the entirety of the PHC "about us" page. For example, the passage which reads: The Holy Scriptures. The Bible in its entirety (all 66 books of the Old and New Testaments) is the inspired word of God, inerrant in its original manuscripts, and the only infallible and sufficient authority for faith and Christian living. [II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:20-21; Hebrews 4:12; Psalm 119:11]

Quote:
In closing, this is utter tripe:

"Instead, he revs up partisan hatred, characterizes anyone who would oppose the mission statement of PHC as a dangerous, leftwing secularists (inferentially suggesting that no one who holds "leftwing" political views could ever be someone of religious conviction), and tries to suggest that those who are not leftwing secularists would applaud and desire the imposition of such a particularist Protestant fundamentalist agenda."

Of course I did not characterize anyone who would oppose the mission statement of PHC as "dangerous." This is an absolutely false and base accusation, and typical of your impassioned rants that within their allegations display the very behavior of which you complain.

It's hilarious to see you accuse others of impassioned rants. You wrote: "I fear that left-wing secularists might take control of our government, but not because I ascribe to them sinister motives. I fear them assuming power because they are so bloody wrong-headed." It is certainly true that you did not use the adjective "dangerous." However, your denial here is all the more amusing, as it is reminiscent of someone saying: "He accused you of howling at the moon and eating sh!t sandwiches, so i told him you never eat bread."

You protest too much--and not very well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:19 am
Finn attempts to suggest that PHC (not "PHU") only exists as an institution for people who share christian values, and to suggest that there is not biblical literalism to be feared from them. This strongly suggests to me that Finn has not read the "about us" page at PHC's web site, for which i have already provided a link.

Therefore, i will post more from their "about us" page, specifically their Statement of Faith:

The College is, and shall always remain, a Christian institution dedicated to bringing honor and glory to the Lord Jesus Christ in all of its activities. Each Trustee, officer, faculty member and student of the College, as well as such other employees and agents of the College as may be specified by resolution of the Board of Trustees, shall fully and enthusiastically subscribe to the following Statement of Faith:

1. There is one God, eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

2. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

3. Jesus Christ, born of a virgin, is God come in the flesh.

4. The Bible in its entirety (all 66 books of the Old and New Testaments) is the inspired word of God, inerrant in its original autographs, and the only infallible and sufficient authority for faith and Christian living.

5. Man is by nature sinful and is inherently in need of salvation, which is exclusively found by faith alone in Jesus Christ and His shed blood.

6. Christ's death provides substitutionary atonement for our sins.

7. Personal salvation comes to mankind by grace through faith.

8. Jesus Christ literally rose bodily from the dead.

9. Jesus Christ literally will come to earth again in the Second Advent.

10. Satan exists as a personal, malevolent being who acts as tempter and accuser, for whom Hell, the place of eternal punishment, was prepared, where all who die outside of Christ shall be confined in conscious torment for eternity.

In particular, i draw the reader's attention to the fourth item. PHC asserts that every word of the bible is literally true, and that the document is inerrant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:41 am
Setanta wrote:

In particular, i draw the reader's attention to the fourth item. PHC asserts that every word of the bible is literally true, and that the document is inerrant.

That's what I noted early: I couldn't have studied there, although I'm a Christian .... as well as quite a few Christians other than Catholics :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 08:56 am
Ever-body knows Catlicks ain't Christians, Walter . . . i particularly point out to you item #10--'cause yer going straight to Hell when you die, Heathen! ! !
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:07 am
I've not read too much of the forgoing, so I apologise if this has been discussed before...but were not many or most of the founding fathers of the US atheist or agnostic, and unwilling for the (various) teachings of the various churches to pay a part in the running of the nation?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:28 am
Many people refer to the men who wrote the Constitution as deists--which is to say believers in a deity without religious affiliation. This subject has been a source of much wrangling at this web site, as well. Prior to the Revolution, there had been an event in the early 18th century known as "the Great Awakening." Due to an overemphasis on New England in the popular teaching of American history, this event has been accorded an importance which it does not merit. However, it was important in terms of the attitudes of Americans toward religious establishment. The Puritans had effected an establishment of religion in Massachusetts and in Connecticutt, an establishment which was known by then as the Congregational church. The evangelism of the "Great Awakening" appealed to a great many members of established churches--enough that the authorities in Massachusetts and Connecticutt used the power of the government to suppress the movement and to drive out the itinerant "camp meeting" preachers. This left a great deal of bitterness, and helped to define some of the political divides which formed in the decade before the Revolution. In other colonies, there were profound division in the Baptist and Presbyterian confessions, but without an establishment of religion, they were only able to coerce local authority to enforce doctrinal adherence, if at all.

This left a mistrust of religious establishment in the minds of many, and it was, in fact, on the insistence of people who were not otherwise inclined to the ratification of the Constitution that a promise was made that the first business of Congress would be the passage of a bill of rights. There were twelve amendments proposed. The first has never been ratified, and likely never will be. The second proposed amendment was ratified in May, 1992. The last ten of those twelve amendments were quickly ratified, and became the first ten amendments to the constitution, and are known as the Bill of Rights. The first amendment to be ratified reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Many people of deep religious conviction considered it of paramount importance that church and state be kept separate, in order to preserve their religious liberties. Late in 1801, a Baptist congregation in Danbury, Connecticutt wrote to the President, Thomas Jefferson, to complain of their treatment in one of the two states which had had a Congregationalist establishment while still a colony.

USConstitution-dot-net wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. A copy of the Danbury letter is available here. The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature - as "favors granted." Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion - only that on the national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The source for the foregoing is to be found here.

Ironically, it was at the insistence of the religiously convinced that steps were taken to assure that the government is secular, and that there is no establishment of religion. The irony arises because modern-day fundamentalists attempt to claim that religious values were at the heart of the foundation of the nation, when that is not at all evident in the historical record, which shows devout Christians seeking assurance that the government would be secular.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:32 am
The operative portion of Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist congregation reads:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:03 am
Set, for performance above and beyond the call of duty you are hereby awarded the first annual Whack-A-Mole Hammer citation.

May you continue to wield it well.

http://www.whackthemole.com/Logos/Images/hdbtn2e.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:12 am
Thanks Boss . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
Many people refer to the men who wrote the Constitution as deists--which is to say believers in a deity without religious affiliation. This subject has been a source of much wrangling at this web site, as well. Prior to the Revolution, there had been an event in the early 18th century known as "the Great Awakening." Due to an overemphasis on New England in the popular teaching of American history, this event has been accorded an importance which it does not merit. However, it was important in terms of the attitudes of Americans toward religious establishment. The Puritans had effected an establishment of religion in Massachusetts and in Connecticutt, an establishment which was known by then as the Congregational church. The evangelism of the "Great Awakening" appealed to a great many members of established churches--enough that the authorities in Massachusetts and Connecticutt used the power of the government to suppress the movement and to drive out the itinerant "camp meeting" preachers. This left a great deal of bitterness, and helped to define some of the political divides which formed in the decade before the Revolution. In other colonies, there were profound division in the Baptist and Presbyterian confessions, but without an establishment of religion, they were only able to coerce local authority to enforce doctrinal adherence, if at all.

This left a mistrust of religious establishment in the minds of many, and it was, in fact, on the insistence of people who were not otherwise inclined to the ratification of the Constitution that a promise was made that the first business of Congress would be the passage of a bill of rights. There were twelve amendments proposed. The first has never been ratified, and likely never will be. The second proposed amendment was ratified in May, 1992. The last ten of those twelve amendments were quickly ratified, and became the first ten amendments to the constitution, and are known as the Bill of Rights. The first amendment to be ratified reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Many people of deep religious conviction considered it of paramount importance that church and state be kept separate, in order to preserve their religious liberties. Late in 1801, a Baptist congregation in Danbury, Connecticutt wrote to the President, Thomas Jefferson, to complain of their treatment in one of the two states which had had a Congregationalist establishment while still a colony.

USConstitution-dot-net wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. A copy of the Danbury letter is available here. The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature - as "favors granted." Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion - only that on the national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The source for the foregoing is to be found here.

Ironically, it was at the insistence of the religiously convinced that steps were taken to assure that the government is secular, and that there is no establishment of religion. The irony arises because modern-day fundamentalists attempt to claim that religious values were at the heart of the foundation of the nation, when that is not at all evident in the historical record, which shows devout Christians seeking assurance that the government would be secular.

I thought so. That is certainly well worthy of the award. Laughing Thank you.
0 Replies