Patrick Henry College + the Bush admin = Scary!

littlek

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:32 pm
Funny, when I try to decide which forum to put this thread in, I can't: religion or politics?

I heard a scary interview on Fresh Air today. Terry Gross was interviewing the president (a lawyer trained to sue the ACLU on behalf of public school systems) of Patrick Henry College. This college is designed to further educate home-schooled christians. There are strict code of condut rules and you must be a ferverant believer in the bible. The husband is the head of the family, there is one true god, etc. All fine and dandy, though freakish to me.

The scary part is the link between this school and the current administration. The school's mission is to produce future leaders to run this country.

Quote:
This spring, of the almost 100 interns working in the White House, seven are from Patrick Henry. Another intern works for the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign, while another works for President George Bush's senior political adviser, Karl Rove. Yet another works for the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad. Over the past four years, 22 conservative members of Congress have employed one or more Patrick Henry interns. Janet Ashcroft, the wife of Bush's Bible-thumping Attorney General, is one of the college's trustees.Common Dreams

For you conservatives out there: I know it's all legal and legit. But, it still scares the pants off me.

There have been decades of conservative movement culminating in this majority conservative government. They are playing the population like a fiddle. They are using people to further their agenda. And, then there's this HPC - Bush admin link...... <bbbbr>!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,929 • Replies: 71
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:18 pm
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:22 pm
I yam I yam!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:34 pm
Without picking a side in this - don't these types of things just ebb and flow with history and events depending on our location in flow for perspective?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:35 pm
Probably, Husker. Doesn't mean it should scare me. And, it certainly doesn't mean I should ignore it.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:22 pm
Elections every four years.........what a country!

This would only be worrisome if Hillary embraces it..............
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:59 pm
Liberals are highly individualistic.

Conservatives are organized.

The Great Inert Middle has been targeted by both sides. Unfortunately, groundwork pays off at the grass roots.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:18 pm
much ado over nothing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:01 pm
The mission statement of Patrick Henry College begins:

The Mission of Patrick Henry College is to prepare Christian men and women who will lead our nation and shape our culture with timeless biblical values and fidelity to the spirit of the American founding. Educating students according to a classical liberal arts curriculum, and training them with apprenticeship methodology, the College provides academically excellent baccalaureate level higher education with a biblical world view.

Although the rightwingnuts like to deny it, "timeless biblical values" do not constitute fidelity to the spirit of "the American founding." Timeless biblical values include support for slavery, execution of homosexuals, execution of unruly children, execution of adulterous women (apparently, adulterous men just need to find a new squeeze), bashing in the skulls of the babies of one's enemies--yeah, right, those are good old American virtues.

Patrick Henry College--to see the mission statement, click on the "About PHC" at the upper right.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:02 pm
littlek, thanks for an interesting link.

McG, i wouldn't describe this as "nothing":

Quote:
The college was established in 2000 by Michael Farris, who runs the Home School Legal Defense Association, itself set up in 1983 to promote the values of Christian home-schooling as an alternative to what he and others considered the increasingly secular and irreligious culture taking hold in America's public schools. Farris - a lawyer who, with his wife, home-schooled their 10 children - is a protégé of Tim LaHaye, well known in the American Christian community as a veteran conservative evangelical author and preacher.

The association has since grown in numbers and influence. It now has 81,000 families, each paying dues of $100. Last year, when George Bush signed legislation banning so-called "partial-birth abortion", Farris was one of five Christian conservatives invited to witness the act in the Oval Office. The college gets so much money from right-wing Christian donors that it operates without debt and yet charges just $15,000 (£8,300) a year for tuition - about $10,000 less than comparable institutions.

Farris, who is also the president of Patrick Henry, was unavailable for an interview when we visited his establishment, but he has told The New York Times: "We are not home-schooling our kids just so they can read. The most common thing I hear is parents telling me that they want their kids to be on the Supreme Court. And if we put enough kids in the system, some may get through to the major leagues."

the school's backers have a political agenda, and they seem to be doing quite well for a 6 year old institution with a student body of 240.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:08 pm
didn't germany embark on just such a program for their children in the last century?

can you name it?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:34 pm
Setanta wrote:

Although the rightwingnuts like to deny it, "timeless biblical values" do not constitute fidelity to the spirit of "the American founding."

Set, some religious conservatives may regard Puritans as founding fathers, rather than the framers of the Constitution. in that case, biblical values are mostly consistent with the founders' intent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:15 pm
yitwail wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Although the rightwingnuts like to deny it, "timeless biblical values" do not constitute fidelity to the spirit of "the American founding."

Set, some religious conservatives may regard Puritans as founding fathers, rather than the framers of the Constitution. in that case, biblical values are mostly consistent with the founders' intent.

There were thirteen colonies which formed the United States. Two, and two only, had a Congregationalist establishment (Puritans in the new world became what are today known as Congregationalists), Massachusetts and Connecticutt. Before the grant of a charter to the Massachusetts Bay Company, the Virginia Company was formed, and the colony of Virginia is the first permanent English colony in North America (exclusive of islands in the Carribean). Virginia originally had an Anglican establishment. Rhode Island had no religious establishment. Although many of the settlers of the Hampshire Grants were Congregationalists from Massachusetts, New Hampshire had no religious establishment, and Congregationalists could only nominally be said to have been the most common sect. New York had no religious establishment, but only had a provision for the preservation of the Dutch Reformed Church--and the same applied to New Jersey. Delaware was originally a Swedish colony, taken from them by the Dutch, and then, subsequently by the English--there was no religious establishment, simply a provision for the preservation of the Lutheran religion. Pennsylvania was a colonly granted to the Quaker William Penn, and it explicitly declared that it was religiously tolerant. Maryland was a grant to the Calvert family of Lord Baltimore, English Catholics, and had no religious establishment. North Carolina had no religious establishment. South Carolina was nominally Anglican. Georgia had no religious establishment.

A paucity of scholarship such as was evident in your remark is the basis upon which bible-thumpers might choose to allege that Congregationalists were the founders of this nation. They weren't the first and they weren't the most important, despite the "New England-centric" propaganda which Americans have peddled in school for a century and a half.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:24 pm
What surprises me additionally to all that which has been mentioned before is e.g. that Theology of the Bible I and II, Euclidean Geometry, Principles of Biblical Reasoning, Science (Physics and Biology w/Lab) ... are subjects to get a BA in history.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:28 pm
Set, i appreciate your promptly redressing my shoddy scholarship. incidentally, i was playing devil's advocate, which would make it quite ironic if it inspired bible-thumpers to proclaim a revisionist, bible-centered account of the nation's founding. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:29 pm
However, if they did, no one ought to be surprised.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:30 pm
Just to make it more ridiculous, the Puritans of the Massachusetts Bay Company were not even the first settlers in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:56 pm
not to mention the american indians who already lived there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:48 pm
Santa Fe, New Mexico was a capitol city prior to the pilgrims landing at plymouth rock.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:55 pm
Oh no! The Christians are coming!! The Christians are coming!!!
0 Replies