Mono - Uh Oh

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:24 am
My bosses kid has mono.

Could my boss carry it and not be sick but spread his germs to me? (No, I am not kissing my boss!)

I know it's mainly a kids disease but with my lovely immune system issues there is always a chance with me. Do adults get it at all? How contagious is it really?

Put my mind at ease.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:42 am
Adult mono is oftentimes called "chronic fatigue syndrome". It's actually harder for adults to shake it than kids, hence 'chronic'. As with any virus, the epstein-barr virus (EBV) that causes mono can be transferred from person to person through it's own particular transmission routes. EBV is typically transmitted by saliva exchange and has been called the 'kissing disease'.

In order for you to get it from your boss, he would first have to get it from his daughter - highly unlikely in a healthy adult - and then pass it on to you - even more unlikely unless you somehow share saliva. Your risks are very low.

Here's some info on EBV

EBV
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:44 am
To clarify, not all CFS is caused by EBV, but EBV in adults is oftentimes diagnosed as CFS.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:44 am
Thanks JB.

Very Happy
0 Replies