Dangerously loosened FDA laws by Bush put us in jeapordy

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:28 pm
I recently read that the US gov't had raised "a few objections" to American purchases of drugs from Canada (and no, this isn't about the shipping of controlled substances ) But, being a bit intrigued as to what legal basis the US government had to begin now to interfere with such drug purchases & with personal concern about one of my meds I purchase from CanadaDrugs.com, I shot off an email asking if THEY had any problems with delivery of their medication shipments to their US
customers. They replied that they experienced very little such problems. One VITAL thing that has dramatically changed during Bush's administration is the loosening of the belt for the big pharmaceutical houses. Now they have to pay far less money for the many, many years of testing FOR SAFETY, FOR SIDE EFFECTS. That is how the Celebrex, Vioxx health problems happened. These were drugs that were NOT truly ready for HUMAN CONSUMPTION, like drugs on the market 10 years ago. WE are being used as test subjects, rather than lab animals. Many, many people were very seriously harmed by those 2 drugs. MY ADVICE TO ALL IS THIS: Don't ever try a drug that is brand new on the
market. Talk with your MD. It isn't safe anymore. The worst of the negative side effects will show up within the first 2 to 3 years the drug is out on the market. Be patient and wait, taking your "old faithful" until you see what kind of side effects the NEWER but far less stringently safety tested drugs are going to have on somebody else. I DO disagree most strongly to the way that Bush sucked up to pharmaceutical manufacturers, relaxing FDA laws for them. Now they've made such a monumental fortune off Celebrex & Vioxx, they can easily handle a limited number of lawsuits.[/B] Without competition & without government limits on what they can charge the consumer, the consumer is stuck, locked into a system that simply isn't safe. And no matter how little WalMart actually paid for my drug doesn't represent what they charged ME for it. A great
example is brand name Azulfidine which cost me about $7 a bottle in Mexico, where they charge me over $40 for a generic here in my own
country and in Canada I can get it for about $18 generic. Whether this kind of cost savings will ever actually be passed on to us is now harder to figure out due to prescription drug coverage. No one tells you how much they're billing your Medicare Part D drug program; all YOU see is your copay. Recently I got a generic drug at my friendly WalMart store, used for peripheral neuropathy & other uses. I noticed a difference after the very 1st day. It didn't work. I thought that I was having a real bad day for rheumatoid arthritis but I took that garbage for 5 miserable days until my shipment of the brand name product arrived from my patient assistance program. AFTER ONE SINGLE DOSE; I felt so much better Every night before I could even imagine getting any sleep I had been massaging my legs & feet for about an hour. The difference was so dramatic & so rapid that I made it a point to email the company that makes this generic & bring it to their attention before contacting the FDA with this information about substandard generic drugs sold at retail at your local Walmart pharmacy. It appeared to be a Canadian made product, yet when I emailed my questions & issues about the drug, I got back a letter from a town called Westin, FL. It turns out that THIS is the very same town that my Medicare Part D Prescription Drug card program mails out of. I've a fairly good idea that this generic drug is being made in Mexico ( they are SO NOTORIOUS for garbage generic drugs that cost next to nothing and are worth next to nothing) When I lived there, my Mexican MD told me to order all of my generic meds from the USA, that the Mexican generics were sh** and can't be trusted. Well, WalMart AND a few hospitals I've been in recently are all using this generic brand. I'm stunned.When I checked with CanadaDrugs.com they told me that they did not use that brand at all. The price they charged for this at Walmart is price gouging at it's most despicable. Then a few days ago I get a letter from Medicare asking "would we Medicare recipients object if the US starts to purchase generic drugs from Canada ( the clinch is the other NAFTA countries too, no doubt)" but meanwhile they're already doing it! It amazes me that we are Americans but are treated with NO dignity and NO respect in the country we were born in, worked in, paid taxes in. We didn't jump the border, work & live here illegally & then get rewarded by getting to EARN U.S.CITIZENSHIP by working on some program. Usually breaking the law IS CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR and results in going to jail or some unpleasant onsequences. We're now rewarding criminals for shafting Americans. I don't know but I think we deserve much more than what we are getting from OUR TAX DOLLARS. I never minded paying my taxes, as long as their existed a chance possibility that I might get some benefit for what I was paying for. But you know what? That has never happened. It is no wonder that millionaires would rather give away vast sums of money to any charity than to some sleazy guys in shark suits from Washington.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:52 am
Thanks for posting this.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:42 am
You are quite welcome indeed, my old friend. I just want to let all my friends have a heads up that some stormy times might be
ahead. Especially with those 2 injectable medications to treat inflammatory
types of arthritis like rheumatoid, psoriatic etc. One name is Enbrel and I forget the other name. They are new. They are expensive.They can cause cancer. USUALLY the decision to use a certain drug is made based upon a balance between the benefits and the potential risks! That's one H*ll of a risk, and that is only one of them, the side effect profile is like looking at a list and saying to yourself: "This juice is definetely NOT worth the squeeze"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:20 am
It's all Bush's fault. He probably owns those drug companies.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:21 am
Now THAT'S a really scary thought !! Even if not OWNS, he was most assuredly very, very deeply in their debt and has now paid off.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:15 am
Well, thing is, if no one ever tries a drug that's brand new, pharmaceutical companies will start losing lots of money. They put in 20 years worth of research, possibly $20 million on research and that's just for one single drug. During that time, they have their drug patented and it lasts only about 8 years after the drug is successfully released.

In those 8 years, the drug's sales has to make up for the money lost. They have to make their profit in those 8 years, before the other companies start making "Me too" drugs (their own version of the same drug).

They never state it, but the few years after the drug released is actually Stage IV of drug development. Doctors are given forms to fill in whenever a drug goes awry and they send those forms off to the companies.

FDA Laws must be made stricter, I agree. More animal testing, more clinical trials. However, even after all that done, the phamaceutical companies keep their eyes on the drugs after it is released.

The problem, of course, is that animal testing and even clinical tests will never pick up all the side-effects. So they have to prove that the majority of people will be safe and then release the drug, keeping an eye on the population for any side-effects they missed.

This all has to do with the fact that there one size does not fit all. Drugs work within a clincal window of safety. The larger the window, the better. Drugs might not work as well in you as in others, or work too well as compared to others. However, if you fall outside the window, well tough. You're the minority.

That's how drug companies work. Obviously, the companies don't want law suits on their hands, so they try to ensure the drug has a larger window of safety as possible. However, they can't always ensure it and that's because of the one-drug-fits-all approach. Tailoring a drug's reaction to every individual is financially impossible.

There will always be a risk with taking drugs, just as there will always be a risk with doing anything.

Still, FDA Laws should be tightened if they're not strict enough. We don't want another thalidomide incident do we (although really, to be fair, thalidomide couldn't have been predicted at the time).
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:32 pm
You are preaching to the choir man. I'm a pharmacist & I know how much R & D gets put into coming up with a brand new drug. But they also make plenty of money off of the "look-alikes" w/a different name that only requires a short form of the FDA paperwork. FDA laws HAVE BEEN very, very strict ever since the experiences with that drug that caused a tremendous number of massively deformed infants being born. It was called THALIDOMIDE!! Claimed to be harmless and used all over Europe, then here in the USA, by PREGNANT women??? Their kids were born with no arms, no legs, it was just horrible the deformities that this
thalidomide caused. THIS is what resulted in the total strictness we have had in the past of the FDA and yes it DOES cause hardships on the drug companies, but most of them have all merged now so they have very little competition, and have TONS of assets. All they need is one hit in 10 or 15 years and they are once again SET FINANCIALLY FOR DECADES! NO - the people have the right to be able to sit down with their doctor and talk about ALL of the possible side effects of a drug before they start using it. The way Bush loosened up the strings, NO ONE KNOWS what the side effects are going to be. So how can a doctor and patient make any kind of informed decision? They can't - just like the mess with Vioxx and Celebrex. These patients did not know what they were risking and THAT is wrong. Every drug has side effects but we have the right to decide if WE WANT TO RISK those side effects or not. For moderate arthritis, that was an unacceptable risk, and that's why these lawsuits are going on. But the pharmaceutical industry has already made billions and billions over those drugs. No, I don't bemoan the drug research & development blues. That is just the business of research. Money gets spent and money gets lost. Look at Howard Hughes with his airplanes during WWII. Congress tried to fry him personally for all the government money he spent & then lost on airplane research. But he came to the Congressional hearings with a list of many billions of dollars more that had been spent on research for weapons, bombs, mines, tanks,you name it, everything....tons of which never came to fruition. The atom bomb did though didn't it? Now, that one sure made up for plenty of losses in terms of America getting the "spoils of war". We went to the summit meetings at the end of the war as the "MAN ON TOP" Nobody could touch us. No one dared. Nobody else could beat us. We WERE invincible. At least, until we began letting people
from ANY other country in the world come here to American universities where they could learn how to make atom bombs too.
0 Replies