Senior moments

JPB

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:24 am
I seem to be having them more and more. Granted, I'm not getting any younger, but this is ridiculous.

I once read that many women in their late 40s - early 50s have a spike in what we call 'senior moments' and they eventually recover their ability to remember names, converse intelligently, etc. I can only hope! Men get them as well, so it can't just be chalked up to hormones. I also wonder if the fact that I've been a number-cruncher for up to 14 hours/day for the past 15 years has something to do with it.

Does anyone else here have more 'senior moments' than they used to? Does it worry you?

<if I have any typos or other errors in this post, I'll surely notice in a day or two> Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,096 • Replies: 8
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:44 am
Re: Senior moments
J_B wrote:
I seem to be having them more and more. Granted, I'm not getting any younger, but this is ridiculous.

I once read that many women in their late 40s - early 50s have a spike in what we call 'senior moments' and they eventually recover their ability to remember names, converse intelligently, etc. I can only hope! Men get them as well, so it can't just be chalked up to hormones. I also wonder if the fact that I've been a number-cruncher for up to 14 hours/day for the past 15 years has something to do with it.

Does anyone else here have more 'senior moments' than they used to? Does it worry you?

<if I have any typos or other errors in this post, I'll surely notice in a day or two> Evil or Very Mad

no typos that i can see, but i may see more in a day or 2. Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:02 pm
My OB/GYN informed me that senior moments and hormones are probably very closely connected.

I believe there is an Asian tradition that one grows until the age of twenty; then one molds the world and one's children until the age of 50 and after 50 the material world becomes less important while the spirit contemplates the universe.

I'm shaky on the time spans, but the general idea is there. How can you remember temporal woosits and whatsis when you're exploring the universe?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:11 pm
Well that explains alot - I thought senior moments happened when you were a senior. It makes me feel better.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:04 pm
As a parent of young children, I call them "sleep deprivation moments."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:47 pm
Very Happy Well, I'd just as soon return to this planet, Noddy.

hmmm, sleep deprivation - probably also a factor.

First I noticed an issue with name recall. I can be in the middle of a conversation with someone I know well and forget their name Embarrassed Then I began struggling to recall words I know perfectly well.

More recently, it's been spelling and grammar; things like you're and your, tenses, and so on. It drives me nuts to read something I've written and try to imagine how lucid thoughts translated to what shows up on the screen. Preview doesn't help, my brain knows what I wanted to say and sends that message to my eyes. Spellcheck helps with spelling but not with tenses, etc. It's very frustrating.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 06:24 pm
I've noticed some lovely word spinning happening in the last few months. Or - that is, Setanta has noticed. It happens when I'm just home from work, or just about to go to sleep. It may have been happening for a while, but the dogs hadn't mentioned.

I think I'll just go move the cracker.

mmmmmmm, cracker?

you know, basket

~~~~~~~~~

Tired. Hormonal. It's annoying.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:45 am
Ebola...AIDS....now the Tower of Babel, Revisited?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:50 am
My opinion on this matter is tha- um.... er..

What was the question?
0 Replies