CHINESE/ASIAN QUESTIONS AND ENGLISH ANSWERS.

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 02:19 am
About this time of day, A2K suddenly gets a lot of visitors from China, all asking similar questions, but all on different threads.

I feel it would be better for both the Chinese questions and English answers all to be entered onto one thread. This way, A2K doesn't get loads of small threads all starting at once, which causes confusion and takes up unneccesary space.

It can also prove beneficial to any Chinese people looking in, as they may find answers to many questions, other than their own, that might help them with their studies.

What Chinese posters must realise though, is that this is mainly an American forum and at this time of the day, most of the members will be asleep.

You may therefore have to come back to this thread at a later time, in order to get your answers.

At this time of day, it is usually only the Europeans and the Australians who are browsing the website, and there only a few of us.

OK, so what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 03:54 am
I think we are only a few, indeed...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 03:57 am
Ha!

Maybe, as I feel a bit lonely here, you could start things off, Francis.

I'm sure you have a question about garlic?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:00 am
Not really as I think I'm supposed to know a lot about garlic...

But what do you know about Garlic Presse at Merseyside?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:00 am
If you build it, they will come.

Joe(Hand me that saw.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:12 am
We got the breakfast question from two different members today. I suggest that we have two members of the same Chinese English Language class who are posting a question which was given them as a homework assignment.
0 Replies

linda306bbs

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:43 am
every country have their own breakfast style,so it's diffcult to answer it at once.but i will study more hard ,try to find more difference ,and it will help me know more about western countries. Razz
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:56 am
For the question about Western breakfast, click here
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:05 am
Or, to be even more precise, here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74594&start=0

:wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:09 am
Oops, Deb! Bad copy of my link!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:36 am
Francis wrote:
Oops, Deb! Bad copy of my link!

That's because you're NOT just drawn that way.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:46 am
OR, I had too much champagne last weekend...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:25 am
Lord E--

I'm guessing that these kids are in an English language class and the assignment is to post individual threads with an eye to opening a dialogue.

Trying to herd these cats into one corner really isn't kind.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:48 pm
Gawd they've hit us hard this morning - the whole class must of got into the computer lab....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:20 pm
I'm betting that the kids who didn't submit questions last week after class heard about their omission.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:46 pm
Maybe we're assessable?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:24 pm
2 pages of new questions today...

Wonder if Craven would consider putting user's post total next to their handle so you have some clue about their 'sincerity'. I wonder if any become regulars?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:00 pm
hingehead wrote:
2 pages of new questions today...

Wonder if Craven would consider putting user's post total next to their handle so you have some clue about their 'sincerity'. I wonder if any become regulars?

Given that the site is actually a knowledge sharing endeavour, I would suspect that, while the numbers, especially of the same question, are a little overwhelming, our new friends would be seen as perfectly legitimate users who are doing exactly what is expected of them.....and thus as "sincere" users.

My understanding is that the majority of people who register for this, or any site, do not become regular users. But I also doubt that that is seen as a problem. People are perfectly entitled to come and ask a question and leave. I guess it is nicer when they also share what expertise they have, and even nicer when we get to know them.

I also suspect that our friends are trying to practise their English, and more power to their elbow.

Lol....I have been thinking, though, of keeping a little library of the commonly asked questions, and just dropping the url to a thread that has already answered the question onto the new threads that keep appearing! It is kind of overwhelming when the screen suddenly fills up with many versions of the same question, and plaintive cries for help!

What is with the fascination with breakfast?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:43 pm
I'm betting that the Class Instructor said, "You will practice your English on the Internet. You may ask about idioms or movies or novels."

At this point imagine International Grunts of Student Woe.

Instructor adds, "You may ask about breakfast. Surely you all know something about breakfast? Internet questions will be 25% of your grade."
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:50 pm
I guess my problem is they never reply - how does that help your English?

I often have a quick squiz at unanswered because I like to help people with computer/web/music/science questions but those may just get lost in the blizzard.

I guess it's a question of how big a town you want to live in - it's not really annoying me.
0 Replies