Red states, blue states, and the stats on moral issues

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:02 pm
In the "Whatever happened to" thread, RedRex wrote:

Quote:
This is what the left wing LIBERAL agenda has brought us to.

Hollywood and big business tearing down our morals till we have a completely corrupt society...

Where are old fashioned virtues? It has been replaced with modern road rage...

It's a familiar enough meme, of course: today's morals have gone to **** because of liberal influence.

First off, looking up some stats, I personally found it interesting that, far from running amock, teen pregnancy, for example, is actually going down - and has been going down since 1994 (ie also throughout most of the Clinton years).

But this is also the point in an argument where it makes sense to bring up some other statistics. Specifically, statistics by state.

The general question they yield being: "If it were liberals who are bringing down morals, how come they seem to be breaking down so much more severely in red states?"

Some details:

Divorce

According to the U.S. Census Bureau (Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006; Section 2: Vital Statistics; LINK), the total divorce rate per 1,000 population in 2004 was 3.7.

A few things to note about this.

A. That is a decrease compared to 2000 (4.2); just like the 2000 rate was a decrease compared to 1990 (4.7).

B. These are the states with the lowest divorce rates:

2,2 Massachusetts
2,5 Pennsylvania
2,6 Illinois
2,8 Minnesota
2,8 Iowa
2,8 North Dakota
2,9 Connecticut
3,0 New York
3,0 Rhode Island
3,0 New Jersey

8 out of 10 are "blue states".

And these are the states with the highest divorce rates:

6,4 Nevada
6,3 Arkansas
5,3 Wyoming
5,1 Idaho
5,0 Tennessee
4,9 Kentucky
4,8 Florida
4,8 Alaska
4,7 Alabama
4,7 West-Virginia

10 out of 10 are "red states".

Now, you might argue that, perhaps, people in liberal blue-states are less likely to marry in the first place, so it's easy for them to have a low divorce rate as well.

Kind of far-fetched (most people do end up marrying after all, red or blue state), but just to doublecheck I had Excel subract the divorce rate from the marriage rate. The lowest possible result then would mean that the number of divorces almost equals the number of marriages - bad, in the moral universe.

The result is a mishmash of blue and red - but no particular liberal slant to be detected here, in any case, either:

1,6 Mississippi
1,6 Utah
1,8 Connecticut
2,4 Arizona
2,4 Delaware
2,4 Washington
2,5 Missouri
2,6 W-Virginia
2,7 Michigan
2,8 NewJersey

More to come... (intriguing, this)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,571 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:20 pm
Keep it comin', nimh. Interesting stats, indeed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:21 pm
Yep!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:49 pm
Teenage pregnancy

Data on this topic can be found in the National Center for Health Statistics' National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 52, No. 10, December 17, 2003; Table 10: Number of births, birth rates, fertility rates, total fertility rates, and birth rates for teenagers 15-19 years by age of mother: United States, each State and territory, 2002.

In the same publication, Table B allows you to compare the data for 1991 and 2002.

Two things again.

A. The birth rates for US teenagers of 15-19 years has decreased from 1991 to 2002 -- by no less than 30%!

The steepest decreases took place in California (-44%), Maine (-42%), Michigan (-41%), New Hampshire (-40%) and Alaska (-40%).

Fodder, I'm sure, for the debate on what helps better to prevent teenage pregnancies: abstinence promotion only, or abstinence combined with anti-conception education and sex ed in general.

B. These are the states with the highest birth rates per 1,000 estimated female population aged 15-19 years:

69,1 District_Columbia
64,7 Mississippi
64,4 Texas
62,4 NewMexico
61,2 Arizona
59,9 Arkansas
58,1 Louisiana
58,0 Oklahoma
55,7 Georgia
54,5 Alabama

9 out of 10 are red states.

And these are the states with the lowest teenage birth rates:

20,0 NewHampshire
23,3 Massachusetts
24,2 Vermont
25,4 Maine
25,8 Connecticut
26,8 NewJersey
27,2 NorthDakota
27,5 Minnesota
29,5 NewYork
31,6 Pennsylvania

9 out of 10 are blue states.

There are, of course, 19-year olds who do fine raising a kid. 17-year olds getting kids, however, is more of a dilemma.

This specification in the table is therefore interesting: these are the states with the highest birth rates of females aged 15-17 years :

44,8 District_Columbia
38,2 Texas
37,8 NewMexico
37,6 Mississippi
35,0 Arizona
31,7 Louisiana
31,6 Arkansas
31,5 Alabama
31,4 Georgia
30,1 Oklahoma

9 out of 10 are red states.

And the states with the lowest birth rates of 15-17 year olds..

8,1 NewHampshire
10,4 Vermont
11,7 NorthDakota
11,9 Maine
12,5 Massachusetts
14,1 Connecticut
14,2 Minnesota
14,7 NewJersey
15,7 NewYork
15,9 Wisconsin

9 out of 10 are blue states.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:55 pm
Interesting.

But, maybe the argument would be that the blue states have fewer births to 15 - 17 year olds because they are getting more abortions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:23 pm
squinney wrote:
Interesting.

But, maybe the argument would be that the blue states have fewer births to 15 - 17 year olds because they are getting more abortions.

Yep, I was just looking into that. That is to say, what I was thinking was that a conservative cultural pessimist might say: well, the number of births must have gone down because they're all getting abortions now!

That, however, is not true. In fact - using the same source as linked above - the opposite is true.

Teenage pregnancy rates have also "fallen steeply in recent years", and that has led to a decrease in both live births and abortions:

Quote:
Pregnancy rates are based on the sums of live births, induced abortions, and fetal deaths. Teenage pregnancy rates are available through 1999, the most recent year for which detailed abortion data have been published (12,13). The pregnancy rate per 1,000 females aged 15-19 years for 1999 was 86.7, the lowest ever reported since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), NCHS series of pregnancy estimates began in 1976. The 1999 rate was 25 percent lower than the recent peak of 116.3 in 1990. The declines in teenage pregnancy rates in the 1990s reflect reductions in both live births and induced abortions.

The secret to this succes? Both those promoting abstinence and those distributing condoms can claim credit. And those complaining that the youth of today is more loose and wild as yesterday's, have to think again:

Quote:
A number of factors have been suggested to account for the recent declines in teenage pregnancy and birth rates. There have been steady reductions in the proportions of teenagers who are sexually experienced. A report of the most recently conducted Youth Risk Behavior Survey conducted by CDC in 2001 cites findings of decreases in the proportions of teenagers who have ever had sex and who have had multiple partners, along with increases in condom use among sexually active teenagers.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:52 pm
Do a Red/Blue count county-by-county (or city by city) and see how it pans out. Razz
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:10 pm
I think we've had this thread a couple of times before.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:14 pm
Here ya go, fishin.

There's city and county data at that link.

Start crunching. Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:14 pm
Re: Red states, blue states, and the stats on moral issues
nimh wrote:
Now, you might argue that, perhaps, people in liberal blue-states are less likely to marry in the first place, so it's easy for them to have a low divorce rate as well.

Kind of far-fetched (most people do end up marrying after all, red or blue state), but just to doublecheck I had Excel subract the divorce rate from the marriage rate. The lowest possible result then would mean that the number of divorces almost equals the number of marriages - bad, in the moral universe.

The result is a mishmash of blue and red - but no particular liberal slant to be detected here, in any case, either:

Your mismash doesn't prove anything one way or the other here. According to the census data people in the red states generally do marry earlier (which generally leads to more divorces) and tend to marry instead of living together (which doesn't require a divorce).

Using data from http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/fertility/mar-fert-slides.html :

Median age at first marriage (men)

Lowest 10:
Utah
Idaho
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Kentucky
Kansas
Alabama
Texas
Alaska
Tennessee

(All 10 are red States)

highest 10:
California
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Hawaii
New Jersey
Connecticut
New York
Massachusetts
District of Columbia

(All 10 are blue states)

Lowest rates of unmarried couples living together:
Alabama
Utah
Arkansas
Mississippi
Kansas
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
North Carolina
Georgia

(All 10 are red states)

Highest rates of unmarried couples living together:
Delaware
Washington
Oregon
Wisconsin
Nevada
Arizona
Alaska
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine

(7 blue states, 3 red states)

States with highest rates of married couples:
Nebraska
Montana
South Dakota
Kentucky
Wyoming
Minnesota
Iowa
New Hampshire
Idaho
Utah

(8 red states, 2 blue states)

States with lowest rates of married couples:
District of Columbia
New York
Rhode Island
Louisiana
Nevada
Mississippi
Massachusetts
Florida
New Mexico
California

(5 red states, 5 blue states)

Based on those numbers the red states are more likely to marry and marry young than the blue states. You can't get a divorce if you aren't married.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:18 pm
squinney wrote:
Here ya go, fishin.

There's city and county data at that link.

Start crunching. Very Happy

I'm not that nuts! lmao That would take years to sift through.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:19 pm
Unmarried mothers

Nothing wrong with raising a child, together, without marrying - in my world. But to traditional conservative morals, of course, children born out of wedlock are something shameworthy.

And one thing is true - being a single mum - also included in this category - isn't easy.

An issue, in any case, that's often raised in the context of "values" or "morals", or, roughly in RedRex's line of thought, the world going down the drain.

Data on this topic can be found in another issue of the National Center for Health Statistics' National Vital Statistics Reports, namely Vol. 52, No. 19, May 10, 2004.

It notes that between 1990 and 2002, the proportion of births to unmarried mothers increased from 28 to 34 percent. And it has this map of distribution by state:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3636/uspercentageunmarriedb2lw.gif

Here, the picture is slightly more mixed.

Of the 10 states with the highest percentage unmarried mothers, 8 are "red states".

But of the 10 states with the lowest percentage unmarried mothers, 5 are "blue states" and 5 are "red states".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:30 pm
Lash wrote:
I think we've had this thread a couple of times before.

Not really, amazingly enough. Thats why I started it.

See, I did - like you, I'm guessing - remember that we had these lists, here. Blue state, red state, divorce, teenage pregnancies, all that.

But they weren't actually lists, as far as I could find back. What there was, was an article that was reposted by three different people in three different threads, called "The dark side of faith". Blatham even turned it into a thread.

But with as tagline, "It's official: Too much religion may be a dangerous thing", the source was obviously rather contentious; plus, though it mentioned a lot of statistics in a narrative way, there wasn't a clear overview, let alone links to the official data sources. Finally, the article referred both to a comparison between states and a comparison between countries, across the world. Altogether a different thing.

Linkat also had a good post, in which she mentioned many statistics. It's through her post that I actually found the NVSR link. But most of her post referred to a CRC study that wasn't linked in, and it only featured examples as illustrations (Mass. 8th, Texas 23rd), so didnt have the context of full lists, and related only to one or two specific issues.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:31 pm
stats are fun!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:49 pm
Re: Red states, blue states, and the stats on moral issues
fishin' wrote:
Your mismash doesn't prove anything one way or the other here. According to the census data people in the red states generally do marry earlier (which generally leads to more divorces) and tend to marry instead of living together (which doesn't require a divorce).[..]

Based on those numbers the red states are more likely to marry and marry young than the blue states. You can't get a divorce if you aren't married.

Well, that is exactly the point that my "mishmash" addressed.

Yes, obviously - like I said - one could look at the high divorce rates in the above-mentioned states and say: well, they probably marry more often in the first place, so it's only logical that they also have a higher divorce rate. You quite literally echo the way I voiced that point, in fact - "people in liberal blue-states are less likely to marry in the first place, so it's easy for them to have a low divorce rate as well."

But that is exactly what the "mishmash" table was about. After all, it represents the divorce rate in proportion to the marriage rate. It takes the higher marriage rate into account, and calculates how close to 1:1 the numbers of divorces and marriages are.

Eg, in red-state West-Virginia, the marriage rate is as high as the national average (7,3), but the divorce rate is significantly higher than average (4,7). The difference between the two is thus small - and the proportion of divorces on the number of marriages large enough for the state to be in the Top 10.

Vice versa, in blue-state Rhode Island, the marriage rate is also average (7,6) - but the divorce rate is just 3,0, lower than average, and thus the proportion of divorces on the number of marriages is small, and the state ranks in the bottom 10 of that list.

As a list that presents the number of divorces in proportion to the number of marriages, the "mishmash" list could be seen as a "marriage value ranking list", so to say ;-). And it shows a seemingly random mix of liberal and conservative states.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:52 pm
nimh wrote:
squinney wrote:
Interesting.

Yep, I was just looking into that. That is to say, what I was thinking was that a conservative cultural pessimist might say: well, the number of births must have gone down because they're all getting abortions now!

That, however, is not true. In fact - using the same source as linked above - the opposite is true.

Teenage pregnancy rates have also "fallen steeply in recent years", and that has led to a decrease in both live births and abortions:
[/quote]

Your quoted source doesn't address the question of red vs blue states though. That just gives an overall decrease in the total national rate. The rate may have fallen steeply but where did it fall? Did it fall everywhere?

The top 10 states in teen abortion rates:
1. New Jersey (47 per 1000 pregger teens aged 15-19)
2. New York
3. Maryland
4. Nevada
5. California
6. Hawaii
7. Florida
8. Deleware
9. Connecticut
10. Illinois (27 per 1000 pregger teens aged 15-19)

(9 blue states, 1 red)

The bottom 10 states in teen abortion rates:
40. Nebraska (12 per 1000 pregger teens aged 15-19)
41. Arkansas
42. Iowa
43. Wisconsin
44. Lousiana
45. Idaho
46. West Virginia
47. Kentucky
48. North Dakota
49. South Dakota
50. Utah (6 per 1000 pregger teens aged 15-19)

(9 red states, 1 blue)

Data based on 2000 numbers from here:
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/state_pregnancy_trends.pdf
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:53 pm
Crime

The FBI pages on "Crime in the United States 2004" presents a Crime Map.

It doesn't specify crime rates by state; but it groups the data together in four regions. Northeast, Midwest, South and West.

This is the way the states are grouped together - and how the different regions score.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/images/content_images/2.16.gif

Violent crime is highest in the "red" South - and lowest in the "blue" Northeast.

Property crime is highest in the "red" South - and lowest in the "blue" Northeast.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:06 pm
Homicide Among Intimate Partners

In many of these statistics I've quoted, race and ethnicity plays a crucial role. I'll come back to that in a moment in my last post, and then I'm wrapping up myself, cause it's almost 4 (AM) now.

That's why this map here is all the more interesting, because it deals specifically with white females.

Source: Surveillance for Homicide Among Intimate Partners ---United States, 1981--1998 (courtesy of Center for Disease Control and Prevention / Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report).

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/figures/s003a1f3.gif

About this distribution by state, the report writes:

Quote:
The risks for IPH among white and black females varied across states, but were highest in southern states. [..] Rates among white females were higher in southern states and Rocky Mountain states. Rates were lowest among white females in New England and the upper Midwest. Among black females, the highest rates were clustered in southern states, but rates were unstable in many western and New England states. The highest rate among white females was in South Carolina; the highest rate among black females was in Arkansas.

(IPH standing for Intimate Partner Homocides)

On the other count - the "is the world really going to hell in a handbasket" one - there's good news, here, too:

Quote:
During 1981--1998, IPHs decreased by 47.2% in the United States. IPH rates have decreased among both whites and blacks. During 1981--1998, rates among white females decreased 23%, and rates among white males decreased 61.9%. Rates among black females decreased 47.6%, and rates among black males decreased 76.4%.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:52 pm
Unmarried mothers and Teenage births, cont.

To be fair, the report linked above on unmarried mothers does mention that race plays an decisive role:

Quote:
The proportion of births to unmarried mothers varies considerably by State. In 2002 the proportion unmarried ranged from 17 percent in Utah to 47 percent in Louisiana and Mississippi and 56 percent in the District of Columbia. [S]ome parts of the country, most notably the Southeast, stand out with most of the States in the region having relatively high proportions of births occurring to unmarried mothers.

A State's racial and ethnic composition is clearly related to the percentage of births to unmarried mothers. States with large non-Hispanic black, American Indian, and/or Hispanic populations relative to the total tend to have a higher proportion of births to unmarried mothers. Other factors including age structure and social norms likely also contribute to the observed differences by State.

That means that, on this count, the distribution is not (all) about "red states" - it's (also) about "black states".

But that's not the whole story, as the rather oblique reference to "social norms" already indicates.

The details are spelled out in the Vol.52, No.19 issue of National Vital Statistics Report, Table 7. It lists the percentage of births to unmarried mothers by individual state, by race and Hispanic origin of mother.

That allows us to compile this Top 15 and Bottom 15 (I'm granting an extra 5 because a comparative ranking is not given in the report itself) specifically on the

Percentage of births to unmarried mothers, among births to non-Hispanic white mothers)

32,5 Maine
31,9 Vermont
30,1 Indiana
29,3 Oklahoma
28,9 Kentucky
28,4 Nevada
28,2 Florida
27,9 Ohio
27,9 Oregon
27,6 Missouri
27,5 Delaware
27,1 Wyoming
27,1 Louisiana
27,1 New Mexico
27,0 Montana

4 "blue states"; 11 "red states".

[..]

20,5 Maryland
20,5 Illinois
20,1 North Carolina
20,1 California
19,6 Virginia
19,4 Alabama
18,9 Idaho
18,8 Massachusetts
18,2 Colorado
18,1 New York
16,8 Hawaii
15,9 Connecticut
13,5 New Jersey
12,6 Utah
8,2 DC

9 "blue states"; 6 "red states".

------------

Now what about the previous posts - does the racial element apply there as well?

Notably, the states with the highest and lowest divorce rates don't, at first sight, suggest any correlation to the racial make-up of the state's population.

In the case of teenage motherhood, however, race and ethnicity do play a strong role. As Table A of the National Center for Health Statistics report that I linked in the Teenage pregnancy post shows, the birth rate for women aged 15-19 years is far higher among blacks and hispanics than it is among whites. So a state that has a high proportion of either, will also have a higher teenage births rate.

(Interestingly though, the rate among black women is also falling more steeply now than among any other group. Whereas the rate fell, during the 90s, by 30% among Americans overall, it fell by 20% among Hispanics, 34% among whites, and 42% among blacks.)

But as with the unmarried mother stat, in the teenage births statistics, race/ethnicity also does not, by itself, explain the almost complete red state <-> blue state opposition.

After all, the (very blue) state of New York has a 39% minority population - and the (very red) state of Mississippi has a 40% minority population. But New York is in the Top 10 of states with the lowest teenage birth rates; and Mississippi is in the Top 3 of the states with the highest rates. Mississippi (60% white) and Texas (50% white) have practically as high a rate of teenage births as DC (only 30% white).

But as with the unmarried mothers statistic, there are actually data specific by race/ethnicity per state available, in the same Vol.52, No.19 issue of the National Vital Statistics Report. It's in Table 4.

So again, we can actually make a specific "ranking" of the Top 15 and Bottom 15 states regarding the

Birth rates of 15-19 year-old non-Hispanic, white females

51,1 Arkansas
50,0 Oklahoma
49,2 Mississippi
48,6 Kentucky
46,0 West Virginia
44,9 Tennessee
44,5 Alabama
41,8 Louisiana
40,7 South Carolina
39,4 Georgia
38,0 Indiana
36,9 North Carolina
36,5 Missouri
35,5 Texas
35,4 Wyoming

All 15 "red states".

[..]

22,3 Illinois
21,8 Pennsylvania
21,4 Maryland
21,3 Rhode Island
20,8 Wisconsin
20,2 North Dakota
18,9 New Hampshire
18,5 California
18,3 Minnesota
16,6 New York
14,2 Massachusetts
12,2 Hawaii
12,2 Connecticut
10,1 New Jersey
5,7 DC

14 out of 15 "blue states".

----------

(ok, thats it, i'm gonna grab some sleep. 'twas interesting)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 09:50 pm
nimh wrote:
After all, the (very blue) state of New York has a 39% minority population - and the (very red) state of Mississippi has a 40% minority population. But New York is in the Top 10 of states with the lowest teenage birth rates; and Mississippi is in the Top 3 of the states with the highest rates. Mississippi (60% white) and Texas (50% white) have practically as high a rate of teenage births as DC (only 30% white).

This sort of thing is where only looking at one set of stats can lead in several different directions.

As you stated, NY comes in at #42 in birth rate but at the same time it is #14 amongst the same age group for pregnancy rates. How can that happen? They are #1 in the abortion rate. Lots of pregnancies + lots of abortions = low birth rate.

MS on the other hand is #3 in total pregnancy rate but #1 in the birth rate because they are #28 in the abortion rate. Lots of pregnancies + low abortion rate = high birth rate.

Your use of the birth rate as your only criteria is a large part of why you are getting the breakdown the way you are. If you look at the top 15 states for total rates of pregnancy, birth rates and abortion rates it looks like this:

Pregnancy rate:
Nevada
Arizona
Mississippi
New Mexico
Texas
Florida
California
Georgia
North Carolina
Arkansas
Delaware
Hawaii
Maryland
New York
Alabama

(10 red, 5 blue)

Birth rate:
Mississippi
Texas
Arizona
Arkansas
New Mexico
Georgia
Lousiana
Nevada
Alabama
Oklahoma
Tennessee
South Carolina
North Carolina
Kentucky
Colorado

(14 red, 1 blue)

Abortion rates:
New Jersey
New York
Maryland
Nevada
California
Hawaii
Florida
Deleware
Connecticut
Illinois
Massachusetts
Washington
Oregon
Wyoming
Michigan

(4 red, 11 blue)

There is the correlation. The blue states that are on the 1st list don't appear on the 2nd list because they are on the 3rd list and the red states on the 1st list DO appear on the 2nd list because they aren't on the 3rd list.

(DC was left out of this because Guttmacher doesn't rank them as a state. If they were included they'd be #1 in the pregnancy rate, somewhere in the middle in birth rate and #1 in the abortion rate. All of which would make the distinctions here more pronounced.)
0 Replies