Red states, blue states, and the stats on moral issues

nimh

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 04:09 am
Fair point, Fishin'. A higher abortion rate is obviously part of what drives many blue states down the list of the teenage birth rate, New York being a prime example. And the abortion ranking very clearly is not one that fits in the pattern of the other lists posted here; it is one ranking on a "values" issue in which "blue states", not "red states", take the top places in prevalency.

However (you knew that was coming, didnt you ;-)):

fishin' wrote:
Your use of the birth rate as your only criteria is a large part of why you are getting the breakdown the way you are.

It is a clearly a part of why the breakdown of teenage births looks the way it does - but how "large" a part, actually?

In the ranking of teenage births, there are 14 "red states" and just 1 "blue state".

But as you point out yourself, in the ranking of teenage pregnancy (including both those that end in birth and those that end in abortion), the balance is still 10 "red states" and just 5 "blue states".

In fact, if you look at the top 10 like I did, the result is practically identical!

Of the Top 10 states with highest teen birthrates, nine are "red states".

Of the Top 10 states with highest teen pregnancy rates that you list - nine are "red states". Eight, if you include DC in the list.

There just aren't enough abortions to fundamentally change the picture here.

So no, I have to disagree that my "use of the birth rate as [my] only criteria is a large part of why [I am] getting the breakdown the way" I am - and that looking at the alternative set of stats you suggest leads one in different directions on this count. If, following your well-taken advice, one focuses on the teen pregnancy ranking instead, which includes pregnancies that end in abortion, the breakdown between "red" and "blue" still looks largely the same.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 10:06 am
Isn't one of the reasons for a low abortion rate in a particular state the lack of providers?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 11:11 am
jespah wrote:
Isn't one of the reasons for a low abortion rate in a particular state the lack of providers?

Naw. If there's a lack of providers, the women just do it themselves... Or go over to a nearby state where it is allowed... Hm...

I wonder how many high abortion rates are actually the result of nearby states having a lack of abortion clinics?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 11:16 am
Jespah has a good point. There are many states in which there are few providers, and in many of the low population density western states, the distances to the nearest abortion clinic are simply prohibitive. Interstate bus lines have been slashed drastically, and there are now many rural communities with no access to any form of public or commercial transportation. Many women simply cannot afford a trip to an abortion clinic.
0 Replies