Bush Backs Brother Jeb for White House

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:37 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
How does victory in Iraq not being just around the corner prove anything?

Are you saying you disagree with Donald Rumsfeld's assessment that the current troubles are just the last fight of a few desparate holdouts? Remarks like yours convey a sort of naysayer-defeatism that I really find unpatriotic.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:39 pm
Thomas wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
How does victory in Iraq not being just around the corner prove anything?

Are you saying you disagree with Donald Rumsfeld's assessment that the current troubles are just the last fight of a few desparate holdouts? Remarks like yours convey a sort of naysayer-defeatism that I really find unpatriotic.

I'm saying that a war not being won quickly and easily proves neither that it shouldn't have been commenced, nor that it's being implemented poorly. Go ahead and try to change the subject again, if that's your best strategy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:53 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm saying that a war not being won quickly and easily proves neither that it shouldn't have been commenced, nor that it's being implemented poorly. Go ahead and try to change the subject again, if that's your best strategy.

Oh, but the subject of this thread isn't "War in Iraq shouldn't have been commenced, is implemented poorly". It is "Bush backs brother Jeb for White House." People here are making fun of George W. Bush's war rhetoric because it reflects his administration's culture of suppressing inconvenient truths, and of smearing and firing people for pointing them out.

The memory of this culture may well make American voters decline to vote for a president Jeb Bush. Pointing this out is not "changing the subject". It is an important part of the subject.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:33 pm
Thomas wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Oh, but the subject of this thread isn't "War in Iraq shouldn't have been commenced, is implemented poorly". It is "Bush backs brother Jeb for White House." People here are making fun of George W. Bush's war rhetoric because it reflects his administration's culture of suppressing inconvenient truths, and of smearing and firing people for pointing them out.

The memory of this culture may well make American voters decline to vote for a president Jeb Bush. Pointing this out is not "changing the subject". It is an important part of the subject.

I may properly respond to anything that is said in this thread, especially if it's said repeatedly and by multiple people. To the extent that the references to victory being "just around the corner" are intended to be a comment about "suppressing inconvenient truths," I have insufficient interest to comment at this time. However, to the extent that there is an implication that the speed of progress in prosecuting the war indicates either that the war ought not to have been entered into, or that it's being prosecuted incompetently, it's completely false for the reasons I state above. Just and necessary wars being prosecuted competently may still be difficult to win.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:06 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
To the extent that the references to victory being "just around the corner" are intended to be a comment about "suppressing inconvenient truths," I have insufficient interest to comment at this time.

Your interest certainly was sufficient to falsely accuse me of changing the subject when I brought it up. But I respect your interests, and won't discuss the matter with you any further.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:16 am

Now, running as vice with McCain, I doubt people would be as wary.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:00 am
Vice President Jeb Bush was sworn in as Pesident today following the tragic and mysterious death of President John McCain.....I can see it now.... Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:26 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Vice President Jeb Bush was sworn in as Pesident today following the tragic and mysterious death of President John McCain.....I can see it now.... Laughing

McCain should have known better than to go hunting with Dick Cheney. Laughing
0 Replies