Bush Backs Brother Jeb for White House

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 02:27 pm
You're right, of course. I hope my inattention to detail doesn't set back our President's timetable for victory in Iraq!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 03:41 pm
blacksmith'

I don't think that is possible. Nothing will deter our President once he has decided. He's the man, don't you know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:00 pm
snood wrote:
Does Coastal Rat's picture look funny, or is he just funny-looking?

Worse.

That is some evil looking clown.

Clowns scare any rational human being.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:03 pm
George III?

Didn't something happen in America last time you had a George III?

Can't recall what it was, but I know there was something.....

What would you call him?

On the lines of the line of Pitts in England...there was Pitt the elder, Pitt the younger.....what would this'n be.....Bush Baby? Bush the Homunculous? Mini Me?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:09 pm
We Americans pride ourselves on our ignorance of history, Deb. Hence the current Bush iteration...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:43 pm
woiyo wrote:
squinney wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Is there a point you are trying to make?

Uh, yeah.

Bush has already stated that the job of finishing Iraq will fall to a future president.

Now there is a report of GW suggesting Jeb would make a great president.

I'm in NC. Florida (Jeb) is right around the corner, as is victory in Iraq.

Get it?

(Really not funny when I have to explain it.) Very Happy

Quite simply, your point is stupid as you and the author are over analyzing a simple fact. Would you not support your brother/sister if they were running for an office?

From a political and objective point of view, Jeb trying to run for President at this time would be suicide given the fact his brother screwed his second term up to a point that he has lost almost all support from his party and the voters.

Actually, neither of us was over analyzing any simple facts. Of course I would support one of my... well, in theory, one of my siblings running for an office. But, the thing is, Jeb hasn't announced that he is running. GW just kinda threw it out there. Sort of a teaser.

Now, we all know by now how this whole "suggestion" and "feeling things out" thing works in politics. I think this was a "feeler" being sent out to test reaction. We'll be hearing more, no doubt. Just little suggestions, maybe even subliminable ones.

And, finally, don't forget this is 2006. Both Bushes (read Rove) have plenty of time to change perceptions.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:18 am
Good grief! Don't even say that as a joke. I am thrilled to pieces that Jeb will no longer be governor of Florida. The thought of him as president, makes me want to barf!

(Well, I have to admit that he's a bit brighter than his older brother, but that is not saying much, is it! Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:53 am
Sorry, Phoenix. Other news outlets are picking up on it, too.

Another President Bush? First Two Are for It
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:02 am
Allow me to take the topic seriously for two seconds.

I don't know enough about Jeb to know if he was a good governor or not. But I do think he would probably be a better president than his brother. That said, what chance does he have now? Bush is incredibly unpopular and barring the certain victory in Iraq (which is just around the corner we just turned) it doesn't look like the American people will miss him much when he's gone. Given that, how likely is it that we would support another Bush? First, there's the legacy thing. Good for the Bush's, not so good for freedom loving, tyrant-hating, power to the people Americans. Then there's the incomptence, more-of-the-same thing.

Personally, I think that maybe it would be the best thing for America if the Republicans chose Jeb and if, in response, McCain split out the fiscal conservatives from the party, grabbed a few moderate Democrats, and formed the Unity Reform Party. Then, for once, we'd actually have a choice, and a chance at reforming the backward, corrupt, and overly complicated way our government is run.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:26 am
It's that steely Bush family determination and clear-eyed vision of the future that's taken us into Iraq twice and sees clearly that victory is right around some corner or other, and has kept our vital oil supplies safe and gasoline affordable. Clearly we need a third Bush to take us into Iraq again and keep the vision thing going.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:31 am
D'artagnan wrote:
We Americans pride ourselves on our ignorance of history, Deb. Hence the current Bush iteration...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

(That's really not very funny.)

okbye
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:39 am
Although having the backing of the President of the United States of America looks great on a resume, I somehow doubt that Dubya's statement has or will be beneficial to Jeb.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:00 am
But, doesn't it say alot for GW to think it would be a positive?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 08:32 am
DrewDad wrote:
blacksmithn wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
No.

Don't be an America hating naysayer. Remember, victory in Iraq is right around the corner!

That's "America-hating naysayer." Careful punctuation is the mark of victory in Iraq.

Actually, according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed., 5.93(2): "When a proper name begins a phrasal adjective, the name is not hyphenated {the Monty Python school of comedy}."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:50 am
blacksmithn wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
No.

Don't be an America hating naysayer. Remember, victory in Iraq is right around the corner!

We achieved VICTORY in Iraq
several years ago,
when we removed Saddam from power.

Our continued presence there is not logically justified.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 12:08 pm
Ohmigod, now I know Tim LaHaye was right and the Apocalypse is truly at hand. I actually agree with OmSigDavid about something. Take me Jesus.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 09:46 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/PresJeb.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:43 am
Looks like he is being primed.

But, just like the break between George's, there will have to be a break before Jeb runs. You know, give people time to forget... Again.

Like it or not, Bush III is being primed to run
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:59 am
squinney wrote:
Looks like he is being primed.

But, just like the break between George's, there will have to be a break before Jeb runs. You know, give people time to forget... Again.

Like it or not, Bush III is being primed to run

I loved this line:

Quote:
The president also said that "I would like to see Jeb run at some point in time, but I have no idea if that's his intention or not."

It's a very personal decision, see. Not something you would talk about with a stranger like your own brother.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:23 am
How does victory in Iraq not being just around the corner prove anything?

Has every just war ever fought been easy and quick? You folks say that as though it proves something, and it doesn't. The fact that a war is not being won quickly doesn't indicate it shouldn't have been entered into, unless you only believe in doing easy things. The fact that it isn't being won quickly doesn't even necessarily indicate an incompetent execution. It could indicate that, or it could just indicate that the situation is inherently difficult.

Whatever you think you're proving, you're not.
0 Replies