LIFE, DEATH AND DIGNITY

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:31 pm
*I realized something that is really unbelievable the other night
during one of my usual insomnia spells...as I lay sleepless on &
off, just thinking about things in general. I had seen a movie
where some criminal was killed by lethal injection and I guess
that is what started me thinking about this.
*My Dad was just an average guy, earned a good living, worked
during the week then worked all weekend. He died from colon
cancer that had spread to the liver, he waited too long to see a
doctor and by then it had spread...nevertheless, the oncologists
dangled a truly false strand of hope before him to persuade him
to go thru their nasty chemo treatments. I couldn't understand
why didn't they do a test after the 1st round of chemo, to see if
it had ANY effect at all. But they didn't. After 3 horrible months
of those nasty drugs we find out that the drugs did absolutely no
good at all, just ruined his lungs and destroyed his sense of taste
so that even eating, one of his last pleasures in life was lost to
him. They gave him a probable lifespan of 6 months to a year.
He died within 9 months.
*Criminals on death row die by something called lethal injection,
where they are killed while unconscious - as far as I can tell.
It certainly doesn't look or seem painful. If all their muscles
are paralyzed, I would imagine they would be unconscious.
Murdering criminals who may have never contributed one single
thing of merit in their entire lives GET A BETTER DEATH THAN
MEN & WOMEN WHO WORKED HARD, PAID TAXES, RAISED
CHILDREN, LIVED BY THE RULES FOR THEIR ENTIRE LIVES???
This is really so badly wrong. I've heard of oncologists & other
doctors who will refuse to treat you AT ALL if you refuse chemo.
In other words, no pain medication for you unless you cooperate.
We are forced in the ending days of our lives to have no more
value, no more dignity than a lab rat or a guinea pig.
Something is very, very wrong with the values of the medical
community. These are people who have taken a SOLEMN
OATH - TO DO NO HARM- absolutely above all, do no harm!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 14
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:09 am
Re: LIFE, DEATH AND DIGNITY
babsatamelia wrote:
I've heard of oncologists & other
doctors who will refuse to treat you AT ALL if you refuse chemo.
In other words, no pain medication for you unless you cooperate.

Really?
Surely chemotherapy is just one of the available options for a patient with cancer? What about respecting a patient's wishes (if they decide they don't want it)? Especially if they're terminally ill.
But refusing painkillers unless you cooperate - why on earth would any doctor adopt this attitude?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:24 am
msolga- I don't know if you have any idea of the pressures that are put on physicians to NOT prescribe pain medication, especially over a long period of time. The "war on drugs", which was meant to control the amounts of illegal substances that are available in this country, has trickled down to the little old lady with arthritis who cannot function without pain medication. Doctors are scared shitless that they would be prosecuted by the government, if they prescribed too much pain meds. to patients.

My husband has chronic headaches, due to too many sinus surgeries. He cannot function without pain medication. Some years ago, when he asked his doctor for pain medication, which the physician would dole out in small amounts at a time, the doctor actually said to him, "If you were a relative, I would probably be arrested".

He has been to pain clinics. There his condition has to be documented very elaborately. He had to sign a paper each time he got a prescription for medications, attesting to where the pain was, and the level of his pain.

My mom is under the care of hospice, which means that they don't expect her to live for more than a year. They have provided a kit of narcotics to her assisted living facility, in case she is in pain near the end. I was talking to the R.N. a few days ago. She bemoaned the fact that many of the local doctors think that hospice provides too many painkillers to patients. Good grief, these people are DYING!

Although my mom does not take these meds now, if and when the time comes, her developing an addiction would be the last thing on my mind. My only concern would be that her death be as comfortable for her as possible.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:30 am
Surprised No, I didn't know that, Phoenix. A "war on drugs" is one thing, I guess, but I truly can't understand how such a "war" could include withholding relief for people suffering terrible pain. That seems totally lacking in compassion. Whose the genius behind this concept? And what's the pont? To save money? I don't get it. It just seems terribly cruel to me. Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:50 am
msolga- I am really not too conversant on the subject. All I know is that until recently, when more doctors started specializing in pain medicine, people in the US were given the short end of the stick with regards to pain relief. It has gotten better now, but the US has a long way to go.

I remember some years ago, when there was a lot of talk about "Brompton's cocktail", a mixture of analgesics that were given to patients suffering from terminal cancer, in the UK. In the US, the whole idea was unthinkable at the time, although later on, both Brompton's and other analgesics, were more commonly used.

I really don't know what the point is of being stingy with analgesics for people with terminal illness, and/or chrinic pain!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:59 am
Ah well, Phoenix, thanks for telling me what you do know. It seems a very odd policy, though. Imagine worrying that a dying person could become addicted to any drug! At that stage, if it gives them some comfort, then why worry about it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:46 am
bookmark
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 01:04 pm
Wow. This is scary. bm.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 04:55 am
Quote:
One of those nonviolent drug offenders is Richard Paey, who faced allegations remarkably similar to those against Limbaugh. Both men suffered severe back pain for which they underwent unsuccessful surgery, and both were accused of fraudulently obtaining more narcotics than they really needed. But while Limbaugh remains a free man and will not even face criminal charges if he continues to attend drug treatment for the next 18 months (something he was planning to do anyway), Paey is serving a 25-year sentence in a Florida prison.

http://www.reason.com/sullum/050306.shtml

So this poor guy Paey faces 25 years in the slammer, for doing nothing but attempting to take medications so that he could function as normally as possible. I remember something that I read when this story first broke. The irony is, that in prison, Paey is getting the drugs that he needs to keep him free of pain! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:09 am
My cousin's husband died of cancer not so many years ago. Being she is a registered nurse, it was easy for her to gain access to ample pain meds. Now that he's gone, his relatives blame her for his dying by giving him so much pain medicine. I know better than that. Now, she has breast cancer, I have wondered if she will get enough for herself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:14 am
edgarblythe- The whole situation is f***ed-up. Instead of the law going after the addicts who commit crimes, you get a ridiculous situation like Richard Paey.

Quote:
Now that he's gone, his relatives blame her for his dying by giving him so much pain medicine.

I think that the problem is that many people are extremely naive when it comes to the appropriate use of narcotics. The media and the government has made such an issue about addiction, that many lose sight of the fact that there are some conditions that require a large amount of medications, for the person involved to be able to function.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:41 am
This guy was on his death bed during most of that anyway. It happened in too short a time frame for him to be out gadding about. He deserved whatever it took to ease his pain.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:05 pm
pain
in canada physicians have to be rather careful in the prescription of painkillers . there have been several cases within the last few years where physicians have lost their licenses because - in the opinion of the supervising committee - pain medications were prescribed too freely .

locally , a doctor left , because he was accused of prescribing excess medication to patients with severe spinal pain . a friend of ours was one of his patients ; she has not been able to find another doctor who is able to help her manage her pain .

another case that made the headlines occured in the maritimes about two years ago . a hospital doctor gave a dying patient extra painkillers "by the patient's request" . the patient died shortly thereafter (as had been expected) and the relatives promptly sued the doctor , accusing him of not doing having done enough to keep the patient alive longer . the patient had actually signed a "do not use extreme measures" declaration . the medical review board was quick to rescind the doctor's license .
it took the doctor well over a year - and a lot of agony in the process - to regain her license .

our own family doctor has told us that even though we have a "living will" , it might very well be ignored because it not a legally recognized document , but merely "an indication of our wishes" .

i know that there have been some cases were medical personnel have misused their position , but i would still think that apatient should be entitled to receive proper pain medication and be "allowed to die in dignity" - which , i'm sure is a statement for wide-ranging interpretation . hbg
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:16 am
The medical schools have realized how badly they SCREWED UP
in their teachings warnings of the dangers of losing your license
for over writing prescriptions for narcotic pain medicines. But what
this applied to was the equivalent of a local old doctor here in our
small town who wrote whatever people wanted. His office was in
old downtown on Centre St. and there would be a LINE OUTSIDE
OF HIS OFFICE for heaven's sake. He would give them a script for
100 Percodan or whatever they wanted. Eventually the DEA people
came thru all the pharmacies in town, looked thru all of our Class 2
narcotic prescriptions and they eventually got on to him, took away
his license TO PRESCRIBE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ONLY - NOT
take away his license to practice medicine.
But OUR doctors apparently are not doing their continuing education
or they genuinely just do not care if you suffer. Some people are
truly healers, and they care. Others are only in medicine for the
money. So these guys who say they are worried about giving a
patient Lortab or Darvocet or whatever, these are not even Class 2
narcotics. NOBODY could possibly keep up with them, there are
billions of them all over the country. The DEA only concerns itself
with Class 2 narcotics for the most part, WRT doctors.
Phoenix you have nailed it. It is indeed f***ed up. Choose your
physician very carefully, and listen to your instincts inside. Even
if he is widely admired and well thought of, listen to your insides
search for a true doctor, a person who can not have too much
compassion, it is not possible. His soul must be wide and very broad
and you will know him when you meet him. You will FEEL it.
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:33 am
I have seen death close up and I have cheated it thrice. Keen judgment improves with maturity and I consider myself all set. I enjoy life more than most people because I have cheated death thrice. I have this certain feeling of peace about me. When I speak with doctors I nod my head and smile; these people are no different than me other than graduating from medical school.

You need to use common sense. I read the opening post by the thread starter about the poor man on chemo therapy. What a terrible way to go. Yet, as barbaric as it was that is an excepted if not the standard treatment for cancer.

I live alone with my dog. I am healthy and I have taken measures to see myself into a happy cremation. I shun the nursing home. I have already purchased a wheel chair to use when I become frail and can no longer walk. I no longer drink but I have cases of beer stored in the garage, dozens of them as well as liquor in the cabinet, several fifths that I plan on enjoying in my waning dies alone with my dog and my music and books. All I ask is the doctor provide me with plenty of dope. I will hire a woman to keep me company and lend a hand. I am going "out" right here in my own home.

I give it at least 10 more years, maybe 25 before it happens but by God I'm ready.
0 Replies