Entertaining the female - What to do when she's silent

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:45 pm
Obviously I haven't given you enough info about the context. You're right guys. My mistake. Here's a synopsis:

I've met that girl a few weeks ago..but our meetings were only 'casual' meetings that didn't involve much talk or interaction.

We've been talking over the phone a lot....an average phone call is for 2 hours each day. Besides the online chat which sometimes reaches the early hours of the morning.

In a nutshell, we've developed a very deep, honest and strong relationship that can actually handle being as blunt as telling me "im very depressed..im going to be silent...im counting on you to cheer me up"

Normally, a girl wouldn't say it that blunt to the guy, and would either give an excuse for not going for a date or postpone it or simply suffer in it.

She is being very honest with me and telling me that she's in that mood these days but she would really want to meet me for us to get to know each other more in real life not just by phone.

The here, and because im interested to know this girl, and because I do sympathise with her and I DO want to help her out in this period she's going through...which shows that I do care about her and want to push her forward when she's down...or else if im only looking for pleasure and fun I would simply look for someone else and not waste my time with what seems to be a boring girl. I want to show that I do care because I honestly do...and I just need to prove myself for this.

As for her depression..its genetic. So every now and then she falls into that period and people around her should be supportive, just like i should be now.

I hope this makes it clear...

Any more questions...please go ahead and ask. And guys, I really appreciate your concern...thats very good to hear

Regards

VJ
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 04:49 pm
Quote:
vonderjohn no offense but you must not be very experienced with women.... here's what to do when your woman is silent... it's real simple.

JUST BE GRATEFUL

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:15 am
Quote:
vonderjohn no offense but you must not be very experienced with women.... here's what to do when your woman is silent... it's real simple.

probably im not experienced and thats why im opening this thread and asking u guys for some advice....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:46 am
I think nimh had a good insight when he said he thinks you treat women as if we were a different species. I agree, I've noticed that, too. Gonna respond in blue.

vonderjohn wrote:
Obviously I haven't given you enough info about the context. You're right guys. My mistake. Here's a synopsis:

I've met that girl a few weeks ago..but our meetings were only 'casual' meetings that didn't involve much talk or interaction.

We've been talking over the phone a lot....an average phone call is for 2 hours each day. Besides the online chat which sometimes reaches the early hours of the morning.

Then stick with that for the time being.

In a nutshell, we've developed a very deep, honest and strong relationship that can actually handle being as blunt as telling me "im very depressed..im going to be silent...im counting on you to cheer me up"

Normally, a girl wouldn't say it that blunt to the guy, and would either give an excuse for not going for a date or postpone it or simply suffer in it.

Not necessarily. I've been blunt with guys I've been trying to get rid of. Like it or not, that might be what she's (awkwardly) trying to do here, sorry.

She is being very honest with me and telling me that she's in that mood these days but she would really want to meet me for us to get to know each other more in real life not just by phone.

Then she's being selfish. She is in no condition to go out and start a new relationship and all that that entails. I am not saying that she should be relegated to staying at home all day, but surely she has other friends. The timing is just plain not right here, and she is pushing it for all the wrong reasons.

The here, and because im interested to know this girl, and because I do sympathise with her and I DO want to help her out in this period she's going through...which shows that I do care about her and want to push her forward when she's down...or else if im only looking for pleasure and fun I would simply look for someone else and not waste my time with what seems to be a boring girl. I want to show that I do care because I honestly do...and I just need to prove myself for this.

Well, these are nice sentiments but you are also playing knight in shining armor, and I can tell you from experience that that's usually a lousy way to start things off. You do not want to be in a relationship where you save someone else's bacon all the time. If you don't know her that well, then this caring is too deep and is misplaced. If you know her well enough to care that much, then you don't need to do the "get to know her" date right this very minute. It just strikes me as paradoxical. You seem to want this date very badly but are not thinking it through. There's nothing bad or wrong about telling her, "Maybe later, when you're feeling better." That is not selfishness on your part. That is caring about her feelings. Is it being paternal? Yes. But she's acting like a child so that role kind of comes naturally. BTW, I want to warn you, the more you are in a parent-child relationship, where you are the parent with the answers, the more you are both going to come to resent that -- she for being too cared for and too manipulated perhaps, and you for having to make the effort all the time. Some couples can make that work but I believe you are setting yourselves up for an uneven relationship.

As for her depression..its genetic. So every now and then she falls into that period and people around her should be supportive, just like i should be now.

Then she should be getting professional help. If you do care at all -- and don't just want female companionship, you should encourage that and nothing more. People who are caring can be so even if they are depressed. She does not strike me as caring. Rather, she strikes me as childish. The depression is a convenient excuse and cover for her actions. If it was that bad, she would be seeking professional help and not relying on you or any other amateur to fix things.

I hope this makes it clear...

Any more questions...please go ahead and ask. And guys, I really appreciate your concern...thats very good to hear

Regards

VJ

Sorry if that's harsh, I just don't want to see you hurt and I don't want to see you start down that road if you don't have to.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:05 am
Next time I feel like treating someone I supposedly care about like crap, I'm just gonna claimed I'm depressed. Apparently, judging by the number of posts of this type I've seen, that's like an emotional "get out of jail free" card.

Wanna make someone dance like a clown for your amusement? Be depressed.

Wanna try out new insults on your beloved? Be depressed.

Wanna dream up better ways to demean those closest to you? Be depressed.

And at the end of the day, blame all your misbegotten behavior on your erstwhile "illness."
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:08 am
Does she actually want to be cheered up?
Its not fair if she does, thats too much pressure on yuo.

I get very moody.
If I was gona tell somebody I was going to be quiet it would be a friendly warning as in 'dont talk to me or Il snap your head off'.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:12 am
material girl wrote:
If I was gona tell somebody I was going to be quiet it would be a friendly warning as in 'dont talk to me or Il snap your head off'.

This is a friendly warning?!? Shocked What do you say when you're not being friendly?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:14 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
material girl wrote:

This is a friendly warning?!? Shocked What do you say when you're not being friendly?

Nothing. She just starts sharpening the butcher knife and giving meaningful glances.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:26 am
Quote:

Full stop; seriously. You aren't even going out with the girl?

Why not find someone who is, yaknow, not going to rely upon you for entertainment?

Get over it, go out with someone else. These are problems that are difficult to deal with late in a relationship; they are murder in the beginning.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:29 am
In the alternative, you can keep seeing her and post a regular "woe is me" thread every couple days for our entertainment and amusement.

See, normally I wouldn't be that mean, but I'm a little depressed...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:43 am
If only serious depression really was just a "get out of jail free" card, or a little game people play. The consequences would be far less grave than they actually are.

For your sake, dude, I hope we are all over analyzing an offhand comment this girl made while in a bad mood. I doubt this girl who was interested in talking to you for two hours at a time really meant the comment in as "bitchy" a fashion as people on this thread seem to be taking it.

Sometimes people want to be cheered up.

In any event, if she is clinically depressed, which she may not be at all, think long and hard. Because depression is not a punch line. It's a disease that kills people.
0 Replies