Life with Luigi: Confessions of a misfit mommy.

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:56 pm
what is the difference between outgoing the other?

getting into someone lap and talking to strangers seem outgoing to me.

What is an atttachment disorder.

Personally, I become alarmed when a child that I don't know gets so friendly. It makes me afraid for the kid. When it happens I try my best to send them back to where they belong, without being unfriendly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:57 pm
radkid.org

this might help understanding something about the attachment disorder
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:00 pm
boomer - 'your' term is used in this paper.

http://www.lynchburg.edu/academic/journal/KingM.doc
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:00 pm
Just a guess, but "outgoing", to me, implies normal but friendly behavior. What boomer is describing does not sound normal.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:01 pm
Thank goodness we deal with the lighter side of RAD.

Essenitally it is a neurological disorder that exhibits itself physiologically and psychologicaly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:03 pm
Quote:

(from the paper I linked above, not sure it's easy to open)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:05 pm
Thank you eBeth, I was having a hard time getting that to open.

Good links!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:08 pm
Do you really think Mo has a problem, boomer? Confused
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:28 pm
There is always room for doubt but yes, I know he has a problem. A year or so ago we were having a really hard time and with the help of some able bodied A2Kers I finally learned the right questions to ask his doctor. We were referred to therapy but they hesitate to take in someone so young. We are coping very well now and some of the problems are not such problems anymore.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:59 pm
On the fringes and down the generations of Mr. Noddy's family, is at least one socially promiscuous kid.

"Angel" was born to a mother who never grew up. Her blood father has never contributed financially or emotional to her support and neither did the man her mother married. Neither have any of the subsequent boyfriends.

From the time Angel was toddling, she'd attach herself to any man--with her mother and grandmother announcing that this behavior was "cute" and congratulating themselves that Angel was such an affectionate child.

Because of untreated ear infections as an infant and toddler, Angel is quite deaf. Her mother moved from man to man and apartment to apartment and Angel never did make many friends around children. She and her mother are presently living with Angel's grandmother. Angel is 18 years old now.

She's still very outgoing to adult men--and for all I know, teenaged boys should any look her way. If I hear that she's pregnant, I won't be a bit surprised.

At least Mo can't get pregnant.

Friendly is good. Overly friendly is frightening.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 04:09 pm
I just read this thread and find myself nodding at the time and place concept and yet remembering when my kids were in kindergarten there were many kids who were outfitted in various themes. It might be a backpack and hat, or one t-shirt after another with the same character(s), but it wasn't unusual. Full Halloween-type costuming will probably be discouraged in class because of the distraction factor, but offering Mo the opportunity to be creative in his clothing choices shouldn't be a big issue.

Not having raised boys, I'm not sure if the boys are as catty as the girls about what they wear, but it's possible.

I'm curious boomer, is Mo as socially forward toward kids as he is towards adults? You said he is wary of people he knows, but is too trusting of strangers. Does this apply to kids as well? And, does he back away from people as he gets to know them? This summer's camp experience will be a good trial run of how he integrates himself into a group of kids. If some of the kids from zoo camp are in the same school and he can become friendly with them this summer, it will help come fall.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:23 pm
That story is tragic, Noddy. But to be true I worry about a future filled with "Angels" for Mo, and for me and Mr. B.

It is indeed frightening.

Mo is pretty forward with kids too, J_B. Typically he'll just walk up and join the group. If it is scattered groups he can usually unify them into one. He is not shy.

I have never really ever seen him rejected by the group.

I think that it isn't so much that he becomes supsicous or wary -- I know I said that he did. Really it is more like he lets his guard down.

I confess, he can be downright mean to me and this is something that I struggle with. I know parts of Mo that nobody else will probably ever know.

I do think zoo camp will be good and I purposely scheduled it for late in the summer so that he has a little more time to ripen but I do think he's ready. His way of interacting is changing and maturing. He's growing up.

I don't want to sound all overblown but I think he finally trusts me enough to know that I'll be there when he gets back.

Mo is off ghost busting in full Luigi glory in our neighbor's garden right now and I have a moment of peace on a stress filled day. My mind actually feels a little quiet for a change...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:37 pm
Ah, good for you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:40 pm
Boomer--

My guess is that Mo is more likely to lust after a cheerleader than an "Angel".

He seems to have an old-fashioned, chest-thumping approach to romance in which females exist for the purpose of adding to his personal luster.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:30 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Boomer--

My guess is that Mo is more likely to lust after a cheerleader than an "Angel".

He seems to have an old-fashioned, chest-thumping approach to romance in which females exist for the purpose of adding to his personal luster.

I am so going to have to uglify that boy.

He's too pretty for his own good. I don't want him to skate by on pretty.

Who can tell me how to delusterize him?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
radkid.org

this might help understanding something about the attachment disorder

Thanks!
Really interesting.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:37 pm
boomerang wrote:

Who can tell me how to delusterize him?

Let him cut his own hair.

Don't teach him about proper hygiene.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:40 pm
Boomer--

Not to worry. Either he's going to break his own nose in a miscalculated risk or someone will break it for him.

Perfection will be marred.

What is the family history on zits? Zits can keep a good kid good.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:15 pm
Ha! I needed some levity.

He HAS cut his own hair. That didn't uglify him very much.

Now when I cut his hair....

... okay, he was still pretty.

Mr. B had a broken nose and I think it's kind of sexy so that doesn't help at ALL! It adds character and a little sense of danger. I admit it: I'm a scar lover. Love the stories behind them. Sit me at the dweeb table, okay?

Zits... hummm... a little problem on mom's side, not so much a problem on dad's.....

In the genetic lottery Mo scored the best of both parents, looks-wise.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 07:23 pm
As an end note to this thread I thought I would offer two new observations:

Me and Mr. B, the King of Sothefuckwhatland, took Luigi out to eat at a popular neighborhood eatery. The curious and sympathetic stares made me realize that people might think the ghostbusting getup is actually some kind of medical appliance.

The only difference between a superhero and a supervillian is perceived intention.
0 Replies