Gallaudet Students Protest New President

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:38 pm
Deaf President Now didn't have much resonance in the 'outside' world, soz. Not even in the deaf/hard-of-hearing community outside of the U.S.

I was pretty involved with the community here at the time ... barely a blip.

People 'outside' still talk about Children of a Lesser God. It's the only 'deaf' thing a lot of people know about. 1986 was big in that sense.

~~~~~

I'm interested in where he's going with the piece. Lots of stuff in there that resonates for me.

this was huge for me

Quote:
The argument that the deaf are an ethnic minority also presupposes a "pure" deaf person, imitating the worst aspects of racial profiling. In this ethnic-group model, just as in the linguistic model, there is an in-group and an out-group. Those most "in" are deaf-on-deaf people, that very small percentage (perhaps only 5 percent of all those born deaf) who come from a deaf family that is, whose parents were born deaf. The elite also includes those who have been lucky enough to have attended Gallaudet, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, and other deaf institutions of higher education. Excluded are the hard of hearing, those who learned to lip-read and speak instead of sign, hearing children of deaf adults, those who never had a chance to learn sign language (because they were too poor, or the facilities weren't available), and deaf people with limb impairments or spinal injuries that make it impossible for them to sign.

Pissed me off in the 80's, still makes me angry - but I've kind of given up on it.

~~~~~~~
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Deaf President Now didn't have much resonance in the 'outside' world, soz. Not even in the deaf/hard-of-hearing community outside of the U.S.

I was pretty involved with the community here at the time ... barely a blip.

Of course it did. It was the occasion of front-page New York Times Magazine articles. It has been widely credited as being a major impetus for the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I wouldn't question that "Children of a Lesser God" was a big deal. But this guy is talking about THIS protest. Of course DPN was as big (if not much, much bigger) than this protest.

Anyway, I did a pretty much paragraph-by-paragraph rebuttal and my computer crashed as I was nearing the end. Probably one of my longest posts on A2K ever. Suffice it to say there were a lot of exclamation marks. I was not impressed.

Will try to reconstruct tomorrow.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 02:49 am
Gallaudet isn't out of the woods yet ...

The Associated Press wrote:
July 1, 2007

University for Deaf Is Put on Probation

Full Article
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:57 am
Ooof. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'd completely forgotten about trying to reconstruct my rebuttal -- that was so incredibly frustrating to lose it. Not a lot of extra time these days so unlikely to happen any time soon, but I just re-put it on the (very long) to-do list it had been knocked off of.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:10 am
So much for the Mac's legendary stability ....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:15 am
Yeah. It's been a mess for a while and I'm not amused. Phase one of the mess was traced to a faulty part -- replaced with no charge. The mess improved (no freezing) but did not stop (frequent crashing), and the cause hasn't been determined yet. I installed Firefox 2 a bit ago and that has a blessed feature called "session restore;" if the browser closes unexpectedly, when you reopen it you have the choice to restore your previous session or start a new one. So far it's had a pretty good record of restoring whatever I was in the middle of writing, too. (The last sentence or so is often missing if I was writing fast, but it's still a huge improvement.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:10 am
I read the Gallaudet article too...

On the Mac, I've been having browser shutdowns, after months and months of crash freeness. Happened the day of the big winds... indeed, coincided with them.

I called my dsl/tel provider. They checked the outside lines, nada (they say). That was after the usual questions re inside the house. It will be $100. for them to come out and check inside the house, but Qwest doesn't support Mac (grrrr) and I have my doubts about the efficacy of that $100.
Because of the wind thing, I've been a little reluctant to call the Mac folks, been putting it off at the same time planning to call.

So, yesterday, a triple miracle, unrelated to the computer, happened:
A handy helper came to my house to get the swamp cooler working, as it's very warm here. As it happened, when trying to reach the garage light, my hand touched the garage door opener. It hasn't opened in six months (many tries), and I'd been putting off calling a repairman, figuring I needed to make sure nothing was occluding the opening of the door... having started at that but not checked all of it yet..
so, voila #2. Naturally, I swept everything possible around the door once it opened, so now I have a happy garage.

Then the fellow tells me he found a vent awry while he was on the roof, and that vent turned out to be where the small leak was when it snowed (a leak that I'd also been putting off dealing with because of insurance/warranty/me pay matters). Anyway, he fixed it, and my roof is fine, actually in good shape. Voila #3.

Today.... my browser has stopped crashing. Knock on wood.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:14 am
Ack, it just crashed. So never mind the "miracle".
0 Replies